Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

I am interested in making a coilgun rifle, but I don't know where to start

Move Thread LAN_403
l2blackbelt
Sun Jun 15 2008, 06:00PM Print
l2blackbelt Registered Member #1545 Joined: Sun Jun 15 2008, 05:56PM
I am interested in making a coilgun rifle, but I don't know where to start. I am rather new at this, and I am trying to find instructions for making a relatively powerful coilgun, about 300-400 fps. Can anyone give me a link to a good website where I can find instructions for making one?
rp181
Sun Jun 15 2008, 06:30PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
Dont ask for instructions. Actually understand how it works, you should be able to design your own.

By rifle which do you mean:
1)has a long barrel
2)uses multiple coils
3) the barrel is riffled (to give projectile a spin)

If you mean:
1) its pointless, it has greater accuracy, but less speed.
2)A good choice, gives greater effeciancy and faster projectiles
3)pointless, projectile doesnt travel fast enough to use the rifiling effectivly.
l2blackbelt
Sun Jun 15 2008, 06:41PM
l2blackbelt Registered Member #1545 Joined: Sun Jun 15 2008, 05:56PM
i mean a very accurate and relatively fast coilgun (or railgun) that can propel a 6mm metal bb at around 400 fps that can be used as a riffle, has a long barrel, and is not stationary.
Saz43
Sun Jun 15 2008, 07:26PM
Saz43 Registered Member #1525 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:16AM
The best place to start (in my opinion) is getting a disposable camera and making a little coilgun with the photoflash circuit. This will help you get familiar with the general concept and some of the challeneges that coilguns present. Also you are bound to learn a few lessons about not touching the capacitor leads (as I did) before you move to more dangerous voltages.

To have 400 to 500 fps output you are going to need LOTS of energy (in the kJ range). That is way more energy than a first time project should employ. My recommendations is to start small and build up from there.

That is exactly what I am doing. I am also brand new to this. I started with a camera flash coilgun and now I am working on something a little bigger for my second project, but still not that big.

I have found this website to be extremely helpful:

Link2

He does an excellent job of explaining theory in a way beginners like us can understand. He also has some awesome simulation applets that help you chose your design.

And of course the people here are very friendly and helpful, but it is best to have specific questions to ask them.
Hope this helps
Barry
Mon Jun 16 2008, 02:05PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Good idea to try a coilgun based on photoflash caps. Alternatively, you might find some big power supply caps and a stud SCR build a low-voltage coilgun from that.

I just republished Barry's Coilgun Design Site with a new navigation scheme that I hope will make it much quicker and easier to find things. If you find broken links, kindly send me e-mail. If you have more coilgun questions, then post here in this forum or ask me directly.

Good luck! Barry
I like cats, but I don't think I could eat a whole one.
badastronaut
Tue Jun 17 2008, 11:02AM
badastronaut Registered Member #222 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 05:49PM
I don't think there is actually any website that offers free detailed instructions for cookie cutter high energy coilguns. I could be wrong though. meow
Barry
Tue Jun 17 2008, 02:26PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
There are very few cookie-cutter coilgun designs published on teh interweb. Perhaps because lots of approaches can work, but everybody starts with a different bag of parts. Certainly the capacitors available have a huge effect on what you build.

One of the few detailed designs is this one by Coilgun Systems (James Paul). It is brilliantly presented but it's not the simplest possible. Have a look and see what you think. Keep searching the web and put together the concepts and design that best fits your situation.

Cheers, Barry
what if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: