All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Disc launchers and Conservation of Momentum

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
w1vlf
Mon May 12 2008, 02:33AM Print
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hey Guys,

Check this out. Here is how I see the problem with disc launchers.
Please comment.

The pancake coil lends itself very nicely to launching a disc shaped object.
But the disc shaped object really sucks aerodynamically.
So how do fix the problem.
Easy... make the projectile aerodynamic by adding fins, nose cone, cylindical etc.
WRONG not easy at all. The instantaneous force at "lift off" shatters, breaks, bends, explodes stuff that is attached to the disc. I witnessed this today and just look at past post from Tristan.

Fast MHZ has had some luck with this and he may have a few tricks up his sleeve,
Fast?? anything.

So I am thinking how does one acquire a nearly indestructable fairly aerodynamic projectile.
While researching this today I came upon a picture of a golf ball being struck by a golf club. The golf ball was compressed to almost 1/2 its diameter due to the force of the striking club. Pretty tough I would say..

Than I found this
Link2

Play around with it it is fun.

Here is the crux of the issue. According to the applet if object A with a mass of one, at rest is struck by object B with a mass of 2 and a speed of 1, object A will travel away with a speed of 1.3333. Make object B have a mass of 5 and the speed of object A will travel at 1.66 times the speed of object B

So why then not have a disc of 2x mass hit a golfball with a mass of 1x??
Atleast the GB would be a much better projectile that the flat billboard of a disc.

I realze this is basic physic, but what am I reading wrong into this?
If this worked you could build a very thick AL disc that would absorb lots of energy from the pancake coil and transfer it to a smaller better space traveller.

OK Guys fire away

PauLC
W1VLF

Barry
Mon May 12 2008, 04:03AM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Think about using the aluminum platter to push a more balanced rocket-shaped projectile. This approach was used by the Discovery Channel for their big induction launcher. Worked great. Links and photos will be posted later after the show airs in Fall 2008. Look for the series "Ten Ways to Save the Planet" and try to find the episode named "Solar Sunshade".

The platter had a short range of motion, like six inches to launch and another six inches into a cushion. Measurements found the aluminum accelerated on the order of 1,000 - 10,000G, but it also seemed to try to flip like a tossed coin, too.

Cheers, Barry
Quantum Singularity
Mon May 12 2008, 03:29PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Yeah, I have long thought of ways to make an aluminum sabot and some kind of dart projectile. However if the aerodynamic projectile that separates from the aluminum is lighter than the aluminum you will loose a lot of energy, but perhaps aerodynamics makes up for some of that if your goal is long range and accuracy, as well as perhaps piercing power. At this point I am just waiting until I acquire some better shop equipment to start testing things (i.e. metal lathe).
w1vlf
Mon May 12 2008, 05:24PM
Barry, 1,000 to 10,000 G's... Hmm that explains it. When I put a ball of my son's silly putty on the AL disc and fired it at 6000 uf and 900 volts It flattened it into a thin sheet 3 miles in dia. and 1 molecule thick!!! :>)
Quantum Singularity
Tue May 13 2008, 01:12AM
w1vlf wrote ...

Barry, 1,000 to 10,000 G's... Hmm that explains it. When I put a ball of my son's silly putty on the AL disc and fired it at 6000 uf and 900 volts It flattened it into a thin sheet 3 miles in dia. and 1 molecule thick!!! :>)

LOL!

Yeah the acceleration is very fast with the IL's... I guess that's one advantage of the reluctance design is you can spread out the acceleration a little longer. I am sure it varies by each individual coil but most probably have a majority of their acceleration in less than half an inch. Not sure how much study has been done in this area but it should be easy to do, just put some thin plastic spacers between the coil and disk and measure the resulting velocities as the projectile is started further and further away. I haven't done this at all with my newer launchers but back in the day I found that at a starting distance of 1" the energy was reduced by more than 75%. I wouldn't be surprised if my newer coils are even tighter than that due to be much smaller (a little over 2" as compared to my old coils which were over 5" diameter - designed for the larger hard drive disks like my avatar).

The way I think about the quick acceleration and great force exerted is kind of like this... picture a record setting baseball player swinging a sledge hammer at your projectile which is suspended in air in front of him...
rp181
Tue May 13 2008, 03:40AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
whats wrong with a coilgun with the projectile in front of the coil?
Quantum Singularity
Tue May 13 2008, 05:24AM
rp - could you elaborate your question in more detail? I'm not sure what or to whom your asking about. An induction launcher always has the projectile in front of the coil.

About the original post -
w1vlf wrote ...

Here is the crux of the issue. According to the applet if object A with a mass of one, at rest is struck by object B with a mass of 2 and a speed of 1, object A will travel away with a speed of 1.3333. Make object B have a mass of 5 and the speed of object A will travel at 1.66 times the speed of object B

So why then not have a disc of 2x mass hit a golfball with a mass of 1x??
Atleast the GB would be a much better projectile that the flat billboard of a disc.

I realze this is basic physic, but what am I reading wrong into this?
If this worked you could build a very thick AL disc that would absorb lots of energy from the pancake coil and transfer it to a smaller better space traveller.

Its interesting, I've never really thought about the possibility to increase velocity by striking a lighter object, with the sabot style of course the velocity remains the same. Energy will be lost though unless both are of the same mass, and the lighter the final projectile the more inefficient the design becomes. In your example of the second object being 2X as heavy then the first, you loose about 15.5% efficiency if my math is correct. And in your 1:5 example then your loosing about 45% efficiency. If velocity alone is what your after than this might work, but the overall efficiency of the system will decrease. And of course the more complex design, etc. But then there is the advantage of aerodynamics, and the golf ball idea isnt half bad, they are designed for this type of application. I think it needs to be tested!
w1vlf
Tue May 13 2008, 11:57AM
Tristan...Yes efficiency suffers in the momentun transfer process, but still I am guessing the aerodynamics of the ball would make up for it.

Last night I did a little research about how far a golfball travels when struck by a club. In the LONG DRIVE COMPETITION people hit the ball over 470 meters. So today I will try to procure some golfballs and do a couple of crude tests. The reason I like the ball type projectile is it's simplicity. For example. On my first coil gun I spent a lot of time messing with projectiles, different length to diameter ratios, putting a hole in the back so a thin rod could be inserted for a stabilizer etc. Some improvements were made for sure. However at 20' they all would start to tumble. So the next set was to go simple, musket ball simple. I bought a couple of steel balls that fit reasonable well inside my launch tube. At 20 feet 10 shots would all fall inside a 1" square. No world benchrest record for sure but lots better than the tubular projectile. With out the gyroscopic effect of the spinning bullet, I will keep to the ball ammo for the moment, atleast until more is learned about this. Off to the golf course to acquire some balls
PaulC
W1VLF
rp181
Tue May 13 2008, 12:17PM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
with a coilgun. there is a coil around a coilform and barrel, when switched, the projectile goes down the tube, this lets you do a aerodynamic design. What prevents you from doing the same with induction? just move the coil back, and make the pancake coil a traditonal coil.
Quantum Singularity
Wed May 14 2008, 01:16AM
rp181 wrote ...

with a coilgun. there is a coil around a coilform and barrel, when switched, the projectile goes down the tube, this lets you do a aerodynamic design. What prevents you from doing the same with induction? just move the coil back, and make the pancake coil a traditonal coil.

I see what your saying now. This is something I am actually in the process of testing myself, delayed by my recent house purchase and move. I dont know the dynamics of such a device personally, but I've only seen 1 induction launcher here on 4HV(at least since I've been here) that worked well using a solenoid type coils where a projectile traveled through a barrel inside the coils. If you can get that style to work well then please let us know about your setup. And of course when I get back to experimenting will do the same. I think FastMHz tried using a coil from his good working reluctance coilgun with an aluminum round and could barely get the projectile to twitch.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: