Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple railgun help

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
sterculus
Sat May 10 2008, 03:36AM Print
sterculus Registered Member #1480 Joined: Sat May 10 2008, 03:21AM
Hi everybody,
I'm working on a really simple railgun design for a class project. I'm using ~80psi air to kick projectiles (solid graphite or aluminum in cubes or little cylinders) into big copper rails. I'm using a single 10kV 70uF cap, although I've actually been firing at 7-8kV.

I've generally been charging the cap with the rails directly connected, then using the compressed air to push the projectile into them. I've also played around with a solenoid-based HV switch and tried to time it so the cap connects to the rails right after the projectile enters. However, I always see a large deceleration when the current initially starts flowing, and generally the slug leaves the gun slower than with just the air on. Anybody have any ideas why it's slowed down considerably by the initial spark? Here's a link to a picture of the setup: Link2

Thanks!
Electroholic
Sat May 10 2008, 05:17AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
1, you need like 4awg between the rails and your cap, at least.
2, are you relying on the cap screws to transfer current down to the rails? bad idea.
3, the gun doesn't seem to have tight enough tolerance. not even close actually.
sterculus
Sat May 10 2008, 06:18AM
The cables connecting the cap to the rails are braided copper, which seem to work pretty well. The screw contacts do conduct the current down to the rails, but I don't think that's the problem - the cap discharges down to about 500V (from 8000).

Which tolerance are you referring to? The rails are milled flat and well aligned. I assembled the gun with the bar of graphite that I've been using for projectiles inside with a bit of paper wrapped around, so the gap between the slug and the rails is about the thickness of two sheets of paper. When I had it tighter than that the projectile tended to jam in the rails.

As I mentioned above, it is discharging from 8kV to 0.5kV, which by my calculations is about 2.2kJ of energy dissipated, or half a Coulomb of charge (in a small fraction of a second). Also, even if the contacts were a problem, it shouldn't slow the projectile down when it initially makes contact.
Dr. Dark Current
Sat May 10 2008, 10:20AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I don't know much about railguns but this is what I think you have wrong: The rails should be below the projectile so it actually makes contact with them just by gravity alone... It should make contact all the time with the rails.
I think you're using a too high voltage, maybe something below 2kV would be better, but again I've never been into railguns.

Shaun
Sat May 10 2008, 02:29PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Electroholic is right, your connections are not good enough. I don't think you understand exactly how much current you are trying to send through these rails. Every thousandth of an ohm resistance and every microhenry of inductance hurts you. A lot. I can already see some wear on your rails.

You absolutely need thicker wire, and it needs to be directly connected to the rails.

Plus, just because your capacitor discharges fully doesn't mean it discharges quickly.
Electroholic
Sat May 10 2008, 05:44PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
sterculus wrote ...

Which tolerance are you referring to? The rails are milled flat and well aligned. I assembled the gun with the bar of graphite that I've been using for projectiles inside with a bit of paper wrapped around, so the gap between the slug and the rails is about the thickness of two sheets of paper. When I had it tighter than that the projectile tended to jam in the rails.

There is a gap between the rail and the projectile? how do you expect it to work then?
sterculus
Sat May 10 2008, 05:47PM
But the biggest problem currently is that the current flow actually slows the projectile down when it first hits the rails. Making the current pulse narrower will just exacerbate that. For example, here's a plot of the velocity vs range in the gun with the cap vs just air: Link2

The big drop in velocity for the red data, which is the projectile with power, corresponds to when I see the initial spark on the video.

Electroholic wrote ...

There is a gap between the rail and the projectile? how do you expect it to work then?

By ionizing air in the few thousands of an inch in between the rail and the projectile. When it was assembled to a tighter tolerance the slug thermally expanded (I think) and jammed.
Shaun
Sat May 10 2008, 07:19PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
This is the trouble with railguns; that everything needs to be *perfect* for you to get good results. Current flow is not slowing your projectile down, it must be friction with the rails or something else. The more current you have flowing, the more force on the projectile. Making the pulse more narrow may overcome the friction with the rails and help you.

Plus, there needs to be NO GAP between the projectile and the rails. Arcing will f*ck up your rails (apparently this has already began). If the projectile gets stuck when in good contact with the rails, then maybe you need rails that are machined better.
sterculus
Sat May 10 2008, 08:01PM
Shaun wrote ...

This is the trouble with railguns; that everything needs to be *perfect* for you to get good results. Current flow is not slowing your projectile down, it must be friction with the rails or something else. The more current you have flowing, the more force on the projectile. Making the pulse more narrow may overcome the friction with the rails and help you.

Plus, there needs to be NO GAP between the projectile and the rails. Arcing will f*ck up your rails (apparently this has already began). If the projectile gets stuck when in good contact with the rails, then maybe you need rails that are machined better.

But I'm comparing against the projectile going through the gun with just the compressed air (no voltage on the cap). It's dramatically slowing down when the gun sparks, and there's no deceleration at that spot with just the air, so it's not friction with the rails. Look at the graph I linked to a couple posts up.

When it was put together tighter, it could fire the projectile through the rails with just the air on, which means that the rails were machined fine. However, when I then fired it with the power on it got stuck - I assume because the slug and rails expanded enough due to resistive heating to wedge. I don't really care if the rails get messed up from the arcing. I have spares and, as I said, this is a class project so it doesn't have to last a long time.
OZZY
Sun May 11 2008, 10:15AM
OZZY Registered Member #511 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 11:36AM
Hi sterculus

I built a small railgun two years ago and had exactly the same problem. The injector would shoot the armature through the rails with no current applied, but when the current is turned on the armature stoped dead. I never did find the cause or the solution, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

1. My railgun was a bad design and the propulsive force was probably negligible.

2. The arcs on each side of the armature somehow caused a drag force strong enough to stop it completely.

3. The tesla coil guys who use rotary spark gaps talk about large forces caused by the arcs, this is why they use large motors to spin the gap.

I hope this helps.
OZZY
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: