All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

How are you winding flat coils for emp launchers

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
w1vlf
Thu Apr 24 2008, 03:07AM Print
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hello Folks

I would really like to hear from folks about winding flat coils.
What kind of jigs are you using? I want to be able to stack several coils and glue then solidly together.

After reading Tristan's post, I too would like to experiment with different diameter projectiles.
I recently acquired some, 7/8", 1", 1-1/2" and 2" aluminum stock to cut projectiles from.

Also my power supply, 6000 uF @900 volts has been proving stable and reliable

Winding good flat coils is my new stumbling block.
I have literally spent 100 hours trying to effectively and relibably wind the coils.
The wire sizes to be used range from #14, #12, #10

Any one have any tips they would care to share ..Please...?

PauLC
W1VLF

Thu Apr 24 2008, 06:46AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The method I have heard (although, have not confirmed) to work well is to take a piece of wood with a 1/4" hole on the middle, then poke the wire through it, and jam a 1/4-20 bolt through the hole. Then sandwich another similar plate on top, so that you have wood-wire-wood, and tighten the bolt. From there simply wrap as many turns as necessary... The tricky part is getting the wire to stay in one place when you take the top plate off which I believe is best solved by having some glue on the wire as you wind it, and putting waxed paper on the wood to keep the coil from sticking.

Cheers
Electroholic
Thu Apr 24 2008, 11:18AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Link2
Barry
Thu Apr 24 2008, 02:07PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
Working with very heavy copper is bordering on metallurgy. Be thinking about techniques like heat treating to help the copper relax into its new shape. I've seen annealing used successfully on a large flat spiral coil made of rectangular cross-section copper.

Good luck, Barry
w1vlf
Thu Apr 24 2008, 03:55PM
Barry, I agree working with #12 and #10 is where the real problems start. #14 and smaller is relatively easy to work with. Coincidently I have a metallurgist friend who I plan to quiz on this topic.

Electroholic, thank you for the link. I have watched that video now a number of times. But Fast makes it seem easy. Today I will be getting a a jig made for with several spacers for the different wires I have and will be wind coils with. SOmehow they must build these coil commercially and I wonder how they do it??

A little while back I saw a beautiful coil that was recessed itoa pice of machined delrin. It was so perfect. I wonder how that was wound. It was perfect!

PauLC
W1VLF
Electroholic
Fri Apr 25 2008, 06:35AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
I totally agree with you, thicker wires like 10awg are much harder to work with. I haven't done much with pancake coils myself, but i found that if i first try to get the copper to bend to the correct curvature and not worry about the "flatness" of the coil.
First I wind the wire on a dowel, then i expend the turns from one end, make a conical spring/pyramid kinda coil, then try to make it flat. You can get a much denser coil this way.
Because the copper deforms elastically for a little bit instead of just plastically, it springs back a bit. and with the sandwich style jig, its impossible to overdeform the copper to compensate this.
BTW my coil was 12awg and only 15t. and has a 2cm hole in the middle.
FastMHz
Wed Apr 30 2008, 05:52PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
My friend and I are now winding coils with flat wire - it makes it soooo much easier. There are spools of wire on ebay that are 1/4" wide and the thickness of 12awg. Unlike round wire, it doesn't try to overlap nearly as much as you wind. I 'd still use the same bolt and wood plate technique. He's posted some pics on his site:

Flat Wire Coils
Quantum Singularity
Thu May 08 2008, 11:47PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Good find FastMHz! I scored some flat wire about a year ago and was hoping it would boost efficiency pretty good, was going to be my little secret I'd unveil. About a year ago I searched the net endlessly trying to find it for sale, the only thing I could find would have been a 10 pound minimum and over $100 so I thought I was pretty lucky finding 2 pounds. Thought when I finally built a coil I'd be the first one sporting flat wire, you beat me to the punch again, lol! I actually just recently got my first coil wound with flat wire, done some low power testing in the garage but also having problems with my chrono so dont have results yet. And looks like we're going to be moving soon, so could be a few months before I'm able to do much with it. But so far it looks promising.
w1vlf
Fri May 09 2008, 02:10PM
FastMhz, Tristan, Is this wire you are talking about the stuff for $32.00 for 75 feet on ebay? ALso how many feet did it takr to make the coil you and you friend are making?
One more thing, do you think that the thickness of the insulation on this wire will be an impediment to maximizing flux in a given area circle?
Thank you
PauLC
W1VLF
Quantum Singularity
Sat May 10 2008, 02:57PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Well Fast will have to respond for sure, the 75' deal was all that I saw though so I assume thats what he was talking about. The stuff that I have is magnet wire - the glossy red finish, so its no different than the regular round wire as far as insulation goes, although I do believe it is the heavier high temp insulation.

Flat
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: