All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SCr keeps self firing AHHHH I think I killed it.

Move Thread LAN_403
w1vlf
Sun Apr 20 2008, 08:08PM Print
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hello Again,

Now I have a new problem.. I bought some very larhe SCR's These are rate at 800 Volts and 300 amps with a 60 Hz 1/2 cycle rating of over 5000 amps.
This is a big Powerex SCR with a stud the size of my thumb!!

On my disc launcher, As I raise the voltage of the capacitor bank with a variac, the SCR fires everytime I hit 130 volts.
Here is what I have tried so far. A 1K ohm resistor in the gate to ground, no change. The gate shorted to ground. No change.
The SCr in the + side of the circuit with the coil to ground. I and also with the + side of the circuit to coil and the SCR to ground.
The SCR will fire evry timeas long as the voltage keep below 130 volts.

I fired the SCR without putting a freewheeling diode in a couple times but this was at lower voltage.
This was not a cheap SCR and I do not want to kill another one.

The coils are 2 2" diameter pancake flat coils each made of #12 wire and in paralell. Each has about 12 micro HY of inductance.
Please help me with this...
What a bummer, am I doing something wrong or am I just a killer of SCR's

Oh Yes... when it self triggers... ther is a nice clean 200 usec long pulse with almost no overshoot

Thank you

pauLC
W1VLF
Steve Conner
Mon Apr 21 2008, 09:58AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Have you tried connecting the SCR's gate to its cathode? Does it still self-fire then?

Also, is that 130V DC measured on your capacitor bank, or 130VAC on the variac, or what?
w1vlf
Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:08PM
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hello Dr. Spork, Thank you for replying. Yes I did try that but no difference in the device. The 130 Volts is measured at the capacitor bank.

I made a few discoveries in the mean time.

On the storage scope there is indeed a very large negative going current spike. I was so intent in looking at the turn on pulse that the scope was expanded to the point where it was off the screen.

I added some fast recovery diodes across the coil and the offending spike was reduced considerably.

Also I noticed that "dry firing" the launcher produced a very large spike offending spike.

After a number of shots below 130 volts with a projectile I had a nice clean current pulse with little if any reverse pulse.

So I changed the SCR. Charged up the cap bank and let it sit at 500 volts... NO PROBLEM.

A couple of test shots and I was up to 500 volts, still watching the current pulse. The energy imparted on the projectile is incredible. The way I test the launcher is with a very thick cardboard box on top og the coil. The box is about 1 foot tall and the surface the projectile hits is 10 thichnesses of cardboard. On top of that there is a 4 bs weight to hold the box in place. At 600 volts it launched that into the cieling and another SCR died. Using barry's calculator I find that I exceeded the fusing current on a single SCR. At least I know what is going on!!

PauLC
W1VLF

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: