All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

bullet trap

Move Thread LAN_403
OZZY
Tue Apr 29 2008, 11:32AM
OZZY Registered Member #511 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 11:36AM
Hi Quantum Singularity

Looks like a good design to me, but 2 things you may want to consider.

1. Aluminium is soft and if the velocity is high enough the projectile could be damaged.

2. Wood is springy, the projectile will bounce around inside the box and could come back out.

I would fill the box with an energy absorbing material, e.g. rags, crumpled newspaper, polystyrene packageing etc.

If you miss the hole and hit the outside of box, the projectile will come straight back at you! So make the hole big.

OZZY
Quantum Singularity
Wed Apr 30 2008, 06:24PM
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention I do plan on putting some material in it, like lining it with some thick old blanket or scrap carpet or something like that, I hope this would help stop the possibility of deformation although my aluminum rounds should be fairly large. Most of my testing will be a point blank range with only enough distance between to place a chronograph, although the chrono does need to be a few feet away from the EMP or else it screws it up. I could always build a tunnel out of plywood as well to ensure I dont miss, or just a really long barrel on my future designs that will use a barrel. Any other way of ensuring the projectile wont bounce back out?
FastMHz
Wed Apr 30 2008, 06:34PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
I've used boxes full of sheets with great results
Backyard Skunkworks
Fri May 02 2008, 05:52AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
To prevent bounce-back of a fast moving projectile, just shoot at an angle. Moving around 10 degrees off center of target should be enough to cause any re-bounds to miss with good margin.
zephir
Tue May 06 2008, 03:50AM
zephir Registered Member #1471 Joined: Tue May 06 2008, 03:17AM
I made a bullet trap for shooting BBs, pellets, and bullets.
I just have a sheet of steel angled at 30 degrees, the projectiles would deflect off the steel and into soft dirt, a tub of water, or sand, depending on projectile fired. I usually use potting soil if I wanted to collect bullets in good condition (not mangled or mushroomed). I have a very thin sheet of steel, its a little over 1/16" thick. I got it from a scrap metal dealer. I can either hang it at 30 degrees or mount it using some plywood (or lean it against whatever is nearby).

Its pretty much stops anything I can throw at it. I can recover bullets in good condition by using a tub of water or some loose soil to catch the bullets. I use it to catch bullets at much higher velocities than 200fps, and at much more energy than a rail gun or coil gun can do. Usually I shoot my .22lr into it. At your lower velocities you can use a very thin sheet of steel and use a soft trap to catch the bullets, like water, loose soil, or just cardboard. I imagine you don't want them damaged.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: