All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

bullet trap

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Quantum Singularity
Tue Apr 15 2008, 06:46PM Print
Quantum Singularity Registered Member #158 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 09:53PM
I was wondering if anyone had any good designs for a bullet trap that can hold up to some heavier high velocity rounds. My last launcher at half power was pushing 200+fps with a 2.5" diameter aluminum slug I was launching outside. They were still large enough to find in the yard, though sometimes I struggled and did manage to loose one. Now I want to experiment with some much smaller diameter rounds and I fear I'd loose em shooting into the yard. Since these will be machined, I really dont want to loose them.

Would it be as simple as making a triangular trap out of 3/4" plywood with the lower half of the opening closed off? I'm not sure if there is more to it than that. I am picturing them in my head and I know I've seen folks here build them before but when I search for bullet trap its not finding anything.

I'd like to ensure containment, be able to stop something potentially 500fps hopefully without damaging the aluminum projectile.
Ken M.
Tue Apr 15 2008, 09:04PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Get a big Neodimium magnet and and attach it to a metal pole and sift through you yard, so long as you use ferrous slugs.
Quantum Singularity
Tue Apr 15 2008, 10:01PM
LOL well I already have a detector for finding lost arrows (I'm a bowhunter) but it will not work with aluminum. I only shoot aluminum as of yet, never built a reluctance type coilgun before, only induction.
huzbum
Tue Apr 15 2008, 11:00PM
huzbum Registered Member #1439 Joined: Sat Apr 12 2008, 03:25PM
indoor rifle ranges use steel plate at a 45* angle over about 1 ft of water. I imagine this would damage your machined projectiles. I would suggest using sand bags. 6" of sand will stop just about anything, but you'll have to dig the projectiles out. Link2 Otherwise how about an old blanket hung from the clothes line? it should catch the projectile and fold around it if it's not sharp.
Billybobjoe
Wed Apr 16 2008, 01:46AM
Billybobjoe Registered Member #396 Joined: Wed Apr 19 2006, 12:55AM
Quantum Singularity wrote ...

Would it be as simple as making a triangular trap out of 3/4" plywood with the lower half of the opening closed off? I'm not sure if there is more to it than that.

That's the basic idea, and some thick towels or pieces of carpet hanging in front of such a box would help protect your projectiles better.
Backyard Skunkworks
Wed Apr 16 2008, 05:15AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Last year when I built a surgical tubing powered spear gun that was getting a 20g rod projectile up to 250 ft/sec I was able to stop it by first having it go through three layers of cardboard and then have an entire box of garbage bags for it to hit into. The projectile would go through several bags but the energy would be so spread out that it always stopped, this is how the kevlar layers work on "bullet proof" vests.

It's because of that project that I know how to fix drywall on very short notice with only epoxy and paper cheesey
w1vlf
Wed Apr 16 2008, 08:44PM
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Tristan ... BTW where do you get those aluminum slugs you are firing in your video???

PauLC
W1VLF
ArcLight
Thu Apr 17 2008, 02:49AM
ArcLight Registered Member #341 Joined: Thu Mar 23 2006, 07:41PM
If your aim is good plumber's putty works quite well. If your aim isn't so good and your projectile isn't sharp, hanging carpet might get the job done.

Regards, ArcLight
Quantum Singularity
Sat Apr 19 2008, 02:17AM
Thanks for the advice guys. When I get a second I might draw up some rough plans.
Quantum Singularity
Mon Apr 28 2008, 11:08PM
Ok I just drew out some really basic diagrams so tell me if these will work or if there is a better way 9sorry they are crude, just sketched on scrap paper while at work):

Trap1
Side view on left, front view on right.

Basically a box with an angled back. The round part is the opening. Doesnt have to be round, just drew it like that. I figure will stand about 2' tall and deep. Some heavy material can be hung in the opening - I assume thats useful.

I wasnt sure if I should make an internal baffle to reduce the chances of the bullet coming back out, something like:
Trap3

I plan on making the whole thing out of some heavy (probably 3/4"-1") plywood, osb, or mdf.

Open to any opinions on if this will be fine or suggestions for something better...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: