All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Running switching and acceleration sensor

Move Thread LAN_403
Evgenij
Thu Mar 13 2008, 10:52AM Print
Evgenij Registered Member #200 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 01:49AM
I work above the new accelerator. Probably, that my technical
decisions will be interesting to you. I offer three ideas which can improve the accelerator.
1. Running switching of SCR-keys from sensor coils.
2. Two capacitors bank with transition of energy of an induction from one bank to another.
3. The only one sensor (of acceleration) instead of many optic sensor of each coil.

The preliminary information is accessible in Russian only here: link moved to modern launcher

I assume, that you can use service of language translations,
for example Google language translator, to read from Russian text for pre-translation. It will not be very clear, but pictures should help for more understanding.
I ask someone of members of HV Community Forum to translate from the general sense to clear English language and to place here the explanatories with circuit's pictures from my Russian forum. So all the interested people can familiarize with new decisions.
Dr. Shark
Fri Apr 11 2008, 01:15PM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
For some reason the page is messed up by the google translation Link2 but I think I get what you are doing anyway. In fact I had the same idea a while ago, but did not get round to experimenting with it. The idea (or at least my take) relates to the diagonal half-bridge which two SCRs and two diodes that can be used to recover energy from the coil back to the capacitor bank. The same can be done with just _one_ SCR and diode, if there is a second capacitor bank that takes the reverse current with the opposite polarity. Basically this amounts to creating a bipolar capacitor from two electrolytics by connecting them in anti-parallel with a diode / SCR in series with each.
Evgenij
Wed Apr 16 2008, 11:38PM
Yes, this scheme like diagonal half-bridge work.
But it has some advantages:
1. Both transistors cope concerning the general wire (low-side directly).
2. SCR's are switched from coil's EMF serially automatically after switching of transistors.
3. One general sensor of acceleration instead of individual optical position sensors for each stage is used only.

The multistage accelerator with running switching solenoids
(The application for the invention is submitted on October, 5th 2006г.)

The primary goal of the offered decision is construction of the effective accelerator with a lot of the steps, providing partial рекуперацию energy of a self-induction at the strong magnetic fields, allowing to place solenoids on a trunk without intervals between the steps, having high reliability and noise immunity at a simple compact design and small quantity of power electric wires.

In figure the scheme of connection of the basic parts of the accelerator with two serially included groups of solenoids is shown.

By figures on the scheme are designated:
1 – a ferromagnetic shell;
2 – a trunk;
3 - the traction solenoid with the basic force coil;
4 - an additional touch winding of the traction solenoid;
5 - SCR's key;
6 – power wires;
7 - the operating device;
8 - a transistor group key;
9 – switching wires;
10 - energy recuperation circuit;
11 - a condenser energy source.

Pic1

The multistage electromagnetic accelerator with the sensor of acceleration
(The application for the invention is submitted on December, 14th 2006г.)

In figure the scheme of connection of the basic parts of the accelerator is shown.
By figures on the scheme are designated:
1 – a ferromagnetic shell;
2 – a trunk;
3 - the traction solenoid;
4 - the operating device;
5 – the sensor of linear acceleration of a trunk;
6 – means of serial switching of windings of solenoids;
7 - a condenser energy source.

Pic2

Both invention combined in one device for most effectivity (running switching and acceleration sensor).
Dr. Shark
Thu Apr 17 2008, 11:35AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Evgenij, good to hear from you again!
I am not entirely sure I understand your second concept with the acceleration sensor, but the first one sounds very interesting to me. In fact it is a bit similar to what Thomas did here Link2 (great, now we have Russian AND German here!), he also has an additional trigger winding on each coil. It is still a bit different though since he is using spark gaps and not SCRs.

Do you have a coilgun prototype that uses this principle? I'd be interested how well it is working, maybe I can use it in my coilgun so I don't have to mess with optical triggers and all the associated logic.
TheMerovingian
Thu Apr 17 2008, 01:26PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
I tried a similar Hybrid design using IGBTs+SCRs but it failed because the SCRs turn off slowly, giving problems of stages turning back-on in multistage designs
Evgenij
Thu Apr 17 2008, 07:41PM
Problems:
1. SCR’s are closed slowly. It is the truth. The resistor in a roundabout circuit accelerates recession of a current. But it is necessary to pay for it a high overvoltage of transistors and SCRs. But speed is fast in last stages and SCRs does not suffice time for turn-off.

Then I began to use not two phases, and three. Three transistors switch three groups. One transistor is turned to on. The second is switched off, but the current in group continues to go and decreases. The third transistor is switched off, the current does not go and SCR has time to be switched off. So I use three transistors, three capacitors, three groups of SCR’s keys. After deenergizing the current comes back to capacitors on a circle 1-2-3-1.

2. The sensor measures acceleration of a barrel (acceleration of kickback force). The sensor should be fast. On-chip MEMS-accelerometer with 10 kHz bandwidth have not time to see acceleration from each stage. The sensor should see the contribution of each step to acceleration of a barrel. When the bullet precisely in the center of coil, acceleration is zero. This signal can be received from the fast sensor, but it is late a little. Even if to look at a maximum of acceleration of each stage is there will be a moment when already late to switch off a transistor. It is necessary hardly earlier.
The decision - to supervise simultaneously a current through the transistor and acceleration. Acceleration depends on a position of a bullet (force depends on position). And the current too varies.
Then also a signal of acceleration we subtract a signal of a current and there is only an acceleration from a position. The result is similar to known diagrams where dependence of force on position of a bullet is shown at a direct current in the coil. Now during the moment of a maximum of acceleration it is possible to switch the next step.
The offered decisions are not completely checked up yet. While it only food for mind.

More completed circuit shown
Pic3

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: