All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Current pulses from my coil gun experiments

Move Thread LAN_403
w1vlf
Sun Mar 02 2008, 01:50AM Print
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Folks,
Take a look at these pix.
I took a few pix of the current in my coil gun using a storage scope and 150 amp shunt.
Here are the results.
Link2

These pulses were made with a standard 150 amp, 50 mv shunt in the DC line to the inductor.

The vertical scale is +/- 1 volt so each division is .250 volts

3.1 divisions is about 800 mv output from the shunt.

each 50 mv = 150 amps so

16 x 150 = 2400 amps??

By calculation the coil consisting of approx 40' of #14 wire is .102 Ohms.

Ohms law says I = E/R so 275 volts / .102 = 2696 amps

Holy Mackerel..
Where did I go wrong?
Over 2000 Amps?? Peak?
Also note the shape of the pulse with the projectile.. can we assume the bump inthe pulse is a function of the projectile motiuon in the coil?

Being very new to this I am not sure if this is good or bad.
The name of the game is to impart energy to the projectile in the most effecient manner.

Sooooo... Does it seem like the coil could have more turns to iincrease the magnetic field?

I do not yet know how fast the projectile is travelling, just the mass at 25 grams

Thank you
PauLC
W1VLF
WaveRider
Mon Mar 03 2008, 06:26PM
WaveRider Registered Member #29 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 09:00AM
It is quite possible that you have 2000 amps going through your coil. You can also measure the slope of the voltage curve across the capacitors to verify the current (from -C * dV/dt = I, based on the known capacitance value).

Also, the "lump" is the effect of the exiting projectile putting energy back into the electrical circuit (as a result of "suckback"). If you are interested in the theoretical reasons for this, have a look at Link2

Cheers!
w1vlf
Tue Mar 04 2008, 09:07PM
w1vlf Registered Member #1329 Joined: Mon Feb 18 2008, 07:31PM
Hey Waverider,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the article you referenced and read it, but a lot of the math is beyond me.
Is there a way to to use the pulse shape to optimze the energy imparted to the projectile?
I get the feeling that some of this is trial and error.
I will read that article again and see if more of it makes sense.
Thank you
PauLC
W1VLF
WaveRider
Wed Mar 05 2008, 05:17PM
Yeah..the article is a bit involved. However, to answer your question in a simple manner: the trick is to switch off the current when the force on the projectile tends to zero as its volume fills the coil. This happens when the armature is completely inside the coil. It is easier to time things well if the armature is somewhat longer or shorter than the coil. A good rule is to switch off the current the moment when the armature volume within the coil no longer increases (armature is fully within the coil).

You want the current in the stator windings to be as small as possible when the armature volume begins to exit the coil. This means quenching the current so it is near zero when the armature volume begins to exit the coil. And, you guessed it, trial and error can help.....but a good optically triggered switch and careful design can guarantee good operation with a minimum of tweaking..

TheMerovingian
Thu Mar 06 2008, 02:02PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
These measures remind me the measures I have taken with my scope and the rogosky coil current measuring system. Same lump on the end of the coilgun waveform. Regarding your measure keep in mind that shunt inductance and skin effect (increased resistance) can false your measures in positive. I would suggest you to try a rogosky coil designed for low frequency, it is less invasive, symple to attach and remove and has a good accuracy and low noise.
Tesladownunder
Thu Mar 06 2008, 04:49PM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
TheMerovingian wrote ...

These measures remind me the measures I have taken with my scope and the rogosky coil current measuring system.
Just who I wanted to see. Do you have the circuit diagram of your peak and hold circuit for the Rogowski coil? I can't find it any where on the net or your site. I've wanted it for some time now. I want to do local current measurements with my Rogowski without having to use the CRO all the time particularly as I am starting to use bigger shots and will have to limit current to 200kA or so.

TDU
WaveRider
Thu Mar 06 2008, 06:13PM
Hi TDU. With the Rogowski coil, you need an integrator, not sample-and-hold. An RC network with a time-constant about 10 times longer than the firing pulse width will work...or a digital oscilloscope will allow you to do the integration..(because Rogowski coil voltage output is proportional to dI/dt)...

Tesladownunder
Fri Mar 07 2008, 12:39AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
WaveRider wrote ...

Hi TDU. With the Rogowski coil, you need an integrator, not sample-and-hold. An RC network with a time-constant about 10 times longer than the firing pulse width will work...or a digital oscilloscope will allow you to do the integration..(because Rogowski coil voltage output is proportional to dI/dt)...
I have a funtioning Rogowski coil with active integration to measure high currents with can crushing. It works well. I have even determined the current flow within a can during crushing (with a 3 turn coil at 80kA, this is about twice the 40kA current supplied to the coil). I have to read this off the oscilloscope currently, but a simple peak and hold is all I need added to hold the peak reading after the integration.

1204850094 10 FT40348 Cancrushrogowskipeak

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: