Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/20 Vaxian (17)
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High-speed video camera project (nearly) finished

Move Thread LAN_403
mikeselectricstuff
Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:45PM Print
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
A last-minute burst of software hacking prior to the Nottingham Gaussfest yesterday got my high-speed video camera system to the point of being able to save some images...
Project page
It's been a stupidly large amount of work but hopefull worth it..
First images
FastMHz
Sun Mar 12 2006, 09:12PM
FastMHz Registered Member #179 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:08AM
You've done some incredible and professional engineering work there...well done, and nice pics!
vasil
Sun Mar 12 2006, 09:23PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
Nice pics, wow!
Would wish to have such stuff...
Sun Mar 12 2006, 10:09PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
wow, quite an accomplishment. I remember reading you site when you were just massing with the interface thinking how much effort it would take to make work...

how much effort do you think it would take to make it work with a modern ccd? I know that I can set the exposure on my digicam up at like 1/1000 second, seems like it would 'just' be a matter of saving the data from the ccd... Way out of my scope, unfortuantely :(
mikeselectricstuff
Sun Mar 12 2006, 11:14PM
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
You can't do it to any serious extent with standard CCDs, as although they can often do sub-millisecond shutter times, they are not designed for rapid readout. Clock rate limitations mean that you really need parallel signal paths out of the CCD, e.g. A VGA resolution sensor would need a 300MHz pixel clock to do 1000FPS on a single channel.

There may however be some scope for overclocking CCDs or CMOS sensors, but I don't know enough about tem to know how viable this might be. I know CCDs are pretty capacitive & need driving hard, so upping the frequency would get pretty hard pretty soon.
I'd be surprised if you could get more than. say, double video rates.
Micron make a nice high-speed imaging chip that does 1MPixel images at 500fps, smaller images faster :
MT9L413
- nice chip as it has 10x10 bit on-chip ADCs and is available in a colour version, but cost is US$1400 (wonder if they do samples...?). Cypress also do one : LUPA-1300 with similar specs , but this has 16 analogue outputs so more work to interface.

I've had a couple of other thoughts about how you might be able to do high-speed imaging on the cheap:
1) Most high speed imagers have the ability to image partial frames at increased rates. I wonder if this might be a viable approach with standard CCD or CMOS sensors, by bending the drive signals or maybe even just forcibly resetting them at sub-frame rates.
e.g. if you could get a VGA (TV) res sensor to scan, say 48 lines instead of 480, it could potentailly do 600 frames/sec, and that's before overclocking. 48 lines may not sound like much but it's plenty to see some interesting stuff. If you're really lucky you may not even have to do much with the interfacing- if the controller (e.g. USB interface) thinks it's scanning a whole field, but you are externally bashing the drive to do, say, 10x48 lines, then you'd get a series of 480 line images, each containing ten sub-frames

2) Repurpose the innards of a DLP projector. I've not thought this through too far, but in principle the DLP is an addressable light-valve. If you could get it into the optical path between a lens and a CCD/CMOS sensor, you could in principle use it to sequentially expose different parts of the CCD very rapidly.
The optics could get pretty tricky though as you'd need to somehow get multiple copies of the same image area shining on different parts of the CCD simultaneously, to then be sequentially exposed during the CCD's frame exposure time.
I have no idea how practical this would be, but it could in principle allow short bursts well in excess of 10K frames/sec, judging by the potential update rate figures on the TI DLP datasheets. You would probably need to bash the DLP at a pretty low level though....

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: