Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HF Tesla coil and it dosn't hurt?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Alan
Wed Oct 17 2007, 08:05PM Print
Alan Registered Member #1069 Joined: Wed Oct 17 2007, 06:23PM
I've done my research over several years and found much conflicting info.

I want to know if it is possible (for one to, not for me to) build a large Tesla coil or similar device that can get a bolt of plasma\lightning to jump a significant gap (maybe 50cm or more), land on a person and for the person not to be hurt. Is there something called the skin effect that allows this to happen with HF AC?
Wed Oct 17 2007, 10:18PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
Well, you can't 'feel' high frequency, except for the heating it causes. If you were to use a SSTC running at a suitably high frequency and using very short bursts to limit the amount of skin that is vaporised with each spark, it would be possible.

I still wouldn't build it, mainly because all of the power has a tendency to flow through parts of you body that you would rather not have large amounts of power flowing through (veins are supposed to carry the bulk of the current IIRC), not to mention what it would do to people with pacemakers/etc.
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Wed Oct 17 2007, 10:45PM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
If anyone attempted to do this they would suffer very large amounts of nerve damage along the parts exposed to the HV. You can't feel pain from the high frequency current because the nerve ending isn't fast enough to respond to the frequency of the potential (someone else will probably state that in a better way then I can at this time).

Anyway, not a good idea in general. A Faraday Cage would be a wise investment.
ragnar
Thu Oct 18 2007, 12:45AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Alan wrote ...

I've done my research over several years and found much conflicting info.
You're right that, unfortunately, there is little between material that explicitly states you *must not* expose yourself to arcs, and material that states "it's OK because..." -- hopefully we can clear that up in this thread.

wrote ...
...get a bolt of plasma\lightning to jump a significant gap (maybe 50cm or more), land on a person and for the person not to be hurt.
Contact with plasma/lightning will cause burns. This is plain and simple:
Burn

You mighn't feel physical 'pain' result immediately, but the loss of sensitivity will scare you later. Even more scary is the potential for deep tissue burns. Just imagine a blood blister forming some place where you can't extract it through your epidermis. =P

I presume you've seen plenty of videos of people holding their hands up to tesla coils, and noticed the bright yellow flashes seen where the arc contacts skin. You will guess correctly that those yellow flashes are nothing other than burning flesh.

wrote ...
Is there something called the skin effect that allows this to happen with HF AC?

This is an often-quoted (and widely misunderstood) 'excuse' for touching arcs.

Whilst you may be lucky to "spread" currents by conducting arcs to a metal target with a larger contact area on your skin, I don't think anyone here would advise it.

The truth is, you really have no way of knowing where the juice is flowing; but if there are arcs in the first place, it had to go somewhere. wink

If you want to draw arcs from a coil, it's recommended (see better sites like Steve Ward's) to use an insulator as a stick, with a groundwire running up to a metal target on the end; that way you as the demonstrator are not connected to ground OR high-voltage.
Nik
Thu Oct 18 2007, 01:15AM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here but is mentioned quite a bit at work has to do with your blood. It is possible for electricity flowing though you to cause a little bit of your blood to be burned and clot. In extreme cases the clot grows and you can lose fingers or even limbs. Any electrician who takes a shock of >250v gets put into observation for 24 hours to make sure this doesn't happen.

Moral of the story: Don't touch electricity
Simon
Thu Oct 18 2007, 01:28AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Matt's said it pretty well.

wrote ...

I want to know if it is possible (for one to, not for me to) build a large Tesla coil or similar device that can get a bolt of plasma\lightning to jump a significant gap (maybe 50cm or more), land on a person and for the person not to be hurt.
The trouble with this question is ambiguity. Do you mean "get hurt" as in "feel pain" or as in "receive bodily damage". Remember that ambiguity when you read pages on the web. Also remember that some authors aren't even aware there is a difference.

A nasty thing about electrical burns is that, while they might look just like a pinprick on the surface, they can penetrate deep through the skin, depending on the flow electricity.
Alan
Thu Oct 18 2007, 04:17PM
Alan Registered Member #1069 Joined: Wed Oct 17 2007, 06:23PM
Thank you for your useful and wise replays.
Tom540
Thu Oct 18 2007, 04:33PM
Tom540 Banned on 3/17/2009.
Registered Member #487 Joined: Sun Jul 09 2006, 01:22AM
Wow, a blood clot that is a scary thought especially doing it without pain. Although I'm wondering a TC output doesn't carry much current and your body is kinda like a giant mega Ohm resistor so how much clotting can there actually be. Instead of trying to figure out I just look at it like, It's better to be safe than sorry. I need my fingers and limbs.
Kizmo
Thu Oct 18 2007, 07:32PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Is TC output from toroid really AC? or HF pulsed DC?

..does it make difference?
Zum Beispiel
Thu Oct 18 2007, 07:59PM
Zum Beispiel Registered Member #514 Joined: Sun Feb 11 2007, 12:27AM
Kizmo wrote ...

Is TC output from toroid really AC? or HF pulsed DC?
It is AC. The tank circuit is a HF LC oscillator (or if it's a SSTC the inverter does that) and the secondary coil amplifies those oscillations to a higher voltage.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: