Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
06/27 JLaz (30)
06/28 Alessandro (32)
06/28 Andrew L. (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

AC voltage ratings

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Shaun
Mon Aug 06 2007, 05:27AM Print
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Hi everyone,

I have couple of MO caps that I have some uses in mind for, probably a nice little inductive Marx, but I'm wondering what DC voltage can I safely charge them to. They are all .8uF 2000VAC. Is it just 1.414xVac? I also thought I had read somewhere here that someone had charged them to around 8kV, which made me think it could be something else.

There's a small schematic printed on the side indicating a bleed resistor, but it doesn't show any form of diode which I have been told these capacitors contain. Can anyone tell me how this diode is arranged and if it will affect my Marx? And maybe a safe charging voltage?
Mon Aug 06 2007, 06:07AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
They are only rated for about 2kv, but they usually don't explode till almost 10kv... It is up to you to decide how high you want to go (keeping in mind that the energy stored goes up as voltage^2)

The diode should be a completely separate entity from the cap, I have never seen a MO cap with internal diode.
Reaching
Mon Aug 06 2007, 06:38AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
I have some MO caps with a shematic printed on with! internal Diode. So watch out for the shematic!
They can stand up high dc voltages but be careful. those thingys explode like bombs. i dont like the idea to overvolt them. they have a safe area and wont explode at say 3kv or so, but on 8kV? i have normal high voltage caps rated at 2 kv and i charged them up to 4kv until they died, but some caps of the same ratings died at 2.2kv...

So, its like a overclocked processor. you wont have fun with it
Dalus
Mon Aug 06 2007, 10:28AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
Steve Ward used the up to 8Kv Link2
Reaching
Mon Aug 06 2007, 10:49AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
but thats no proof for safely charging up MO caps to 8kV..

what if one xplodes? What if a shrapnel hits your eyes or so?
Hig voltage and especially the things we build are dangerous enough, so you must not provoke the fate.

but, do what you want, who cares
Dalus
Mon Aug 06 2007, 11:18AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
If you read the link you would know he also tested the breakdownvoltage. With his caps there was only a snap heard, so I would't thinks that that would explode. Nevertheless you should use a plexy blast screen when testing them.
Shaun
Mon Aug 06 2007, 03:34PM
Shaun Registered Member #690 Joined: Tue May 08 2007, 03:47AM
Thanks a lot guys, I think I'll stick to 5kV to be safe.

But about the diode, I did not find anything resembling an HV diode in the microwaves I got the caps from. I'm pretty convinced its inside the capacitor. How would this diode be arranged? Like, would it be in series with the capacitor, or anti-parallel, or some other arrangement? How could I test for it?

EDIT: OMG wow I had no idea you could crush cans and shrink coins a little with this! Screw the Marx, I'm gonna go for a can crusher! (I already have a Marx, but it only uses 2200pf 15kv caps; I wanted some more power hence the MO caps)
Steve Ward
Mon Aug 06 2007, 05:06PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
what if one xplodes? What if a shrapnel hits your eyes or so?
Hig voltage and especially the things we build are dangerous enough, so you must not provoke the fate.

Not to say you are "wrong" but consider the amount of energy these things store compared with say a real explosive. I think my cap stored around 32j at the time of failure. For that volume of capacitor, this is tiny and certainly wouldnt cause an explosion from internal failure (unless you were charging it from a high power source that would continue to heat the oil inside).

The real trouble comes in when someone makes a huge bank of these things, where if one fails all the rest of them dump their energy into it. Maybe i should do a test and hook up my 12kV 5kj pulse cap to a single MO cap smile. In any case, i would recommend something like a 3/4" thick plywood container, possibly internally reinforced with some fiberglass and resin. The surrounding capacitors are likely to absorb most of the kinetic energy of a failure, but id want to be safe if i had actually made the 5kJ bank that i was planning on tongue .
Bjørn
Mon Aug 06 2007, 06:25PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Remember that some capacitors can store huge amounts of enery in the electrolyte if it boils. Even a tiny 16V 50uF capacitor can put out an eye if overcharged.

Most capacitors are designed to fail safely but some either explodes or turns into rockets.
Steve Conner
Mon Aug 06 2007, 06:36PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, but the stored energy in the MO cap isn't anywhere near enough to boil the oil inside it. The only risks are like Steve W. mentioned, if other capacitors discharge into it or a high current power supply follows through. (which is what usually makes electrolytics explode)
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: