All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ed (49)
JC1 (49)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DREAD(perhaps BS, probably exaggeration)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
TheMerovingian
Tue Feb 06 2007, 01:28PM
TheMerovingian Registered Member #14 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:04PM
It looks unrealistic. Also, if it would work properly, don't you think that the military would have beat on time this "scientist"? (military invest 30% of the world resources in weapon research)
Madgyver
Tue Feb 06 2007, 02:31PM
Madgyver Registered Member #177 Joined: Wed Feb 15 2006, 02:16PM
Bored Chemist wrote ...

Well, I guess if you got 2 of these pointing in oposite directions and counter rotating you might be able to use it provided that you didn't mind shooting the hell out of whatever's behind you and you had a really, really, big battery in your pocket. cheesey

Yeah, or simply use rockets.
Effilcdar
Sun Apr 22 2007, 05:30AM
Effilcdar Registered Member #655 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2007, 10:23AM
What I want to see is the brute of a machine gun operator trying to change the angle of the MASSIVE GYROSCOPE in time to shoot somthing. It would also be funny to see how well the humvee turns with high speed gyros in the back of it. Also the power could be made with an electric motor, take a look at tesla motors main motor, its almost powerfull enough and only the size of a watermellon.
Electroholic
Sun Apr 22 2007, 07:35AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
the gyro is spinning on the same plane as the ground...
even so, you can totally aim it at any direction, think cross product of vectors*
mechanicalbull
Thu Apr 03 2008, 08:35AM
mechanicalbull Registered Member #1420 Joined: Thu Apr 03 2008, 05:11AM
i don't think it's bs, right now i am working on my own design that will fire air soft plastic 6 mm b-b's and my unit will fire at 300 feet per second at full auto not bad i do say, for a toy! its all in the design phase auto-desk inventor files, spreadsheets and i just started machining the acceleration chamber today. i cant wait to cut card board boxes in half lol.
Weston
Thu Apr 03 2008, 07:34PM
Weston Registered Member #1316 Joined: Thu Feb 14 2008, 03:35AM
Mythbusters built a device very similar to this to shoot tennis balls. It could dent steel plating. The had a lot of misfires though.
Barry
Fri Apr 04 2008, 02:35PM
Barry Registered Member #90 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:44PM
So it replaces dangerous explosives with a dangerous explosive centrifugal chamber. They will rename it the centrifugal hand grenade when the containment system fails.

Accuracy? Man I love the picture of those round golf balls it shoots. Since there is no rifling to spin stabilize the round, the ammo's path will wander like an old slingshot or musket or paintball.

Are you absolutely sure the announcement wasn't an April Fool's joke?
Backyard Skunkworks
Sat Apr 05 2008, 06:33AM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
Weston wrote ...

Mythbusters built a device very similar to this to shoot tennis balls. It could dent steel plating. The had a lot of misfires though.

If your talking about the civil war steam gun episode then that was not tennis balls. That was .50 caliber steel balls. They powered that thing with a couple modded hot water heaters running some type of compressed air motor at a few hundred RPM, their major problem was timing! The steel ball would always drop at the wrong moment, causing the gun to fire in any direction.

Funny thing is I built something pretty similar when I was about 10, I hooked an RC car motor up to two touching wheels and got them going at a couple thousand RPM, I would then feed projectiles into them and they would launch at maybe 40ft/sec. I got this idea from a pitching machine.

Even funnier I was just thinking of replicating this with a couple vacuum cleaner motors driving anything that wont fly apart at tens of thousands of RPM. I calculated I might get a velocity about half that of modern handgun rounds if I can get the wheels to 60krpm amazed

I doubt applying this will be at all easy though.
mechanicalbull
Sun Apr 06 2008, 10:37AM
mechanicalbull Registered Member #1420 Joined: Thu Apr 03 2008, 05:11AM
i really don't know how the dread system works but my guess is the ammo is loaded coaxially (center of rotating shaft) and as the rotor turns the ball receives angular acceleration as it moves to it's maximum radius at a given rpm which is constant. then it leaves the chamber vary fast under rectilinear motion. i am designing a gun myself kind of a toy not much more.

here are some numbers for the unit i am building: my rotor turns at 22,894 rev/min then divide by 60 is 381 rev/sec and with a 3 inch diameter rotor will yield (pie*(3/12)*381)=299 feet/sec. now the kinetic energy the projectile will deliver to the target would be KE = 1/2mv^2 =.5*.0002kg*(.3048 ft/m*299 ft)^2=.8305 newtons, converted to English units it would be .6125 foot*pound-force. now that dose not look like much, however it is when we look at the psi it is 14.2 lb/in^2 (force per square units=force/area) if anyone can let me know if the last part is correct please let me know, i think there is unit conversation issue here. i will post my progress on this gun as the week/months go by.

ps the ammo is 6 mm in diameter and has a mass of .2 grams.

Backyard Skunkworks
Sun Apr 06 2008, 07:35PM
Backyard Skunkworks Registered Member #1262 Joined: Fri Jan 25 2008, 05:22AM
mechanicalbull, both your kinetic energy calculation and energy conversion seem to be fine. 0.2 grams just isn't a very heavy projectile, even at high speed it's gonna have low energy.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: