Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Alexandre (32)

Next birthdays
05/07 a.gutzeit (63)
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

External Iron

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Zuckerstange47
Sat Jul 07 2018, 12:54PM Print
Zuckerstange47 Registered Member #61926 Joined: Wed Nov 22 2017, 04:08PM
When reading Barry's Coilgun Design Site I came across the section about external iron. In many coilgun-projects that I have seen on this forum or on youtube, it seems that this technique was not implemented. I wonder if there are people who could pass on their practical experience regarding the use of external iron - how did it influence the performance of the coilgun, which design works best?
Also I wonder, if other materials apart from iron are possible, too: Can you use steel instead of iron (I think it is not easy to buy pure iron pipes, washers ect)?

Assumed steel would not be a good alternative, do you think it would be possible to use a mixture of iron powder (which is available easily) and epoxide resin, which would also have the benefit of getting a perfectly fitting shell aound the coil?

Link2

DerAlbi
Sat Jul 07 2018, 02:50PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
When i started i did a lot of tests with this. I can tell you that iron powder with epoxy will not make an iron-powder core. In fact the irons reaction to a magnetic field changes with particle size. the smaller the worse its magnetic property becomes. Iron-powder cores are sintered which is a much more intimate bond than gluing.

If iron helps or not depends a lot on your application, geometry and energy transfer goals (will it saturate?).
You should simply try it.
Sulaiman
Sat Jul 07 2018, 03:22PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
My own experimenting with coil-guns was very disappointing, so I may be wrong :
. the rate of flux change is high in a coilgun
. solid iron/steel in a magnetic path does its best to resist rapid flux changes by heating up due to 'eddy-current' heating.
even at 50 Hz steel needs to be at least laminated.
How significant this effect actually is I can't say as my own tests were shite frown

OTOH most projectiles are made of solid steel.
Zuckerstange47
Sat Jul 07 2018, 09:42PM
Zuckerstange47 Registered Member #61926 Joined: Wed Nov 22 2017, 04:08PM
I think I will try to concentrate on other parts first, because it seems much more complicate than I hoped, and the chance of succeeding rather low. My understanding of physical laws also is not good enough to have a thourough understanding of terms like saturation and the effects of laminated metal, or which different 'energy transfer goals' could be differentiated. Probably I will do some testing with simple steel washers anyway, without understanding the math behind it wink

At the moment I am beginning to wind a coil for first experiments, starting with printing a winding device...

Nevertheless I would appreciate if others would like to share their experiences, too.
_Eugen_
Wed Jul 11 2018, 05:45PM
_Eugen_ Registered Member #57984 Joined: Thu Nov 19 2015, 09:44AM
I did some calculative assesments of the influence which a core takes for one- and multistage coilguns here. The conculsion is indeed negative.
DerAlbi
Thu Jul 12 2018, 06:16PM
An easy way to test the effectiveness of external iron is simply by measuring the inductance with and without projectile.
The higher the ratio between L_proj / L_empty, the higher is the potential energy transfer capability of the coil. If external increases the ratio, its worth doing. If not, not. amazed
Sulaiman
Thu Jul 12 2018, 10:49PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Provided that you do the measurements at frequencies equivalent to operating frequencies then I agree,
external iron WILL increase low frequency inductance,
but with coilgun pulse waveforms/frequencies I can imagine external solid iron decrasing performance, (eddy losses and effectively, shorted turns).
DerAlbi
Fri Jul 13 2018, 11:44AM
complicated. if you stzart like that you should also consider upping the current to working levels to include saturation effects :-/ - and here we are right at "just try it".
External iron does not increase the inductance that much (if its just washers at the end). But it can lead to better coupling of the outer turns because they are directed towards the projectile.. but thats just theory.

A continuous waveform also creates different issues btw. Eddy currents in the projectile and stuff. there is never a ideal measurement setup. A coilgun is a bitch to analyse frown
I measured at 1kHz and my findings were spot on by the L_proj/L_empty metric - thats all i can say.
And it directly comes from the force equations of the coil <-> projectile.
hen918
Fri Jul 13 2018, 02:25PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
This has been tried, but the major problem is saturation. If you've got hundreds of amp-turns and a small amount of iron, the permeability tends to µ0. Then you have eddy currents and hysteresis losses and suddenly you have made things worse.
DerAlbi
Sat Jul 14 2018, 05:12PM
Not definitely sure, but while the differential µr (dB/dH) converges towards 1 the overall µr should still be somewhat active. I mean, even saturated iron functions magnetically somehow, if not, a coilgun wouldnt work if saturation occurs (with an µr = 1, there wouldnt be any force anymore).
My point is, the portion of the flux below the 2 tesla, is still helpful.
So optimizing that portion should always be beneficial, neglecting eddy losses.
Please correct me if i am wrong.
I honestly think that most effects are from the changed current- and force- waveform. This has mostly be done with SCR designs. It would be interesting to see it under more optimal circumstances.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: