All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Permanent magnet levitation toys - drag

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
AndrewM
Fri Oct 10 2014, 11:04PM Print
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
In the classic "levitating desk toy" from a decade ago like this:

2744 Magneticlevitatorclassic 1

Apart from the axial bearing and windage, what is the source of drag and how would you estimate it? Eddy currents in the magnets? IS there another source of drag??
Thomas W
Fri Oct 10 2014, 11:18PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Well, most of the drag with this thing comes from the simple air resistance. if you wanted to measure the rate of loss of energy, i would get it up to a speed, measure the speed, then measure the speed as it slows down, plot it on a graph :)
BigBad
Sat Oct 11 2014, 01:24AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
If they're neodymium magnets then yes, there will be significant drag from eddy currents.

One biggish problem is that neos are conductive; as it spins, the magnets will see varying magnetic field strengths and that will inevitably cause eddy currents.

You can simulate this effect with FEMM if you simulate the magnetic field moving with phased electromagnets.

You can get rid of the eddy current effects with non conductive magnets; but they won't be quite as strong.

Alternatively, vertically hanging magnets with annular magnets would give you no eddy currents, because the fields will be DC or as nearly as you can manage to make them. But you'll have to be careful to make them laterally stable.

You could potentially get rid of air resistance by sticking it in a bell jar and pumping it down.

edit: oh yeah, nearly forgot, there will be a sort of 'rolling friction'; the magnets will always move in their mountings slightly no matter how rigidly you try to mount them-they will always distort a little bit unless it's vertical. However, with rigid materials this may be quite small.
Uspring
Sat Oct 11 2014, 08:41AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
You'll have eddy currents in the rotor caused by the magnets in the base, if the rotor contains conductive material. Depends on the amount and distribuition of metal in the rotor.
AndrewM
Sun Oct 12 2014, 04:04AM
I'm interested only in the drag caused by the magnets themselves, not air drag or any other parasites.

So if I used a ferrite magnet (nonconductive) would there be zero magnetic/eddy current drag?

And what about the surrounding structure - if the magnet is uniform/cylindrical and its rotating around its magnetic axis, would there be any time varying field in the metal around it?
Sulaiman
Sun Oct 12 2014, 07:47AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
In this toy I believe there will be (theoretically) no external time varying magnetic field so no eddy current loss due to external objects
but if the rotating magnets are conductive they will have internal eddy currents/loss.
BigBad
Sun Oct 12 2014, 06:06PM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
wrote ...

I'm interested only in the drag caused by the magnets themselves, not air drag or any other parasites.

So if I used a ferrite magnet (nonconductive) would there be zero magnetic/eddy current drag?
It will be very low. There may be some hysteresis losses, but they're going to be very small provided you keep the magnets in the same quadrant.
wrote ...

And what about the surrounding structure - if the magnet is uniform/cylindrical and its rotating around its magnetic axis, would there be any time varying field in the metal around it?
You don't want any conduction in the rotor. The surroundings should see DC magnetic field and so no eddy currents.
AndrewM
Mon Oct 13 2014, 04:54AM
BigBad wrote ...

It will be very low. There may be some hysteresis losses, but they're going to be very small provided you keep the magnets in the same quadrant.

Talk more about hysteresis?

This is actually a work question - I'm working on an ultra-low drag bearing test rig and am trying to trade bearing types. I need ultra low bearing losses so I have to understand the "very small" things. Permanent magnet bearings (ala Link2 ) seem promising, but are very difficult for me to estimate.

Ideally I'd have a way to estimate the bearing drag relationship with load and RPM.
Andy
Mon Oct 13 2014, 05:08AM
Andy Registered Member #4266 Joined: Fri Dec 16 2011, 03:15AM
Hi AndrewM
At that large scale you will have physics against you, that you will have back EMF, and current BH field made, no matter what, but if you use say a induction motor ,but in reverse that cancels the losses you could brink it close to 99.99%, the induction motor pretty much has opposite polarity to the filed at placement that the filed is at present, you should be left with fiction, and some none charted loss. The induction motor would use the power that it stops throw losses, but the induction motor would be more effeiunect than randomness in these case.

Side thing maybe added another layer say the filed switch the current, you might slowly approach 100%, find a problem then patch then add to the patch.

Hope it helps
Uspring
Mon Oct 13 2014, 08:56AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
This is actually a work question - I'm working on an ultra-low drag bearing test rig and am trying to trade bearing types. I need ultra low bearing losses so I have to understand the "very small" things. Permanent magnet bearings (ala ) seem promising, but are very difficult for me to estimate.
Rotating a magnet, which creates an axially rotationally symmetric field around its axis doesn't change the field and causes no eddy currents in conductors around it. As far as I can see, magnetic bearings attempt to do just this.
You also have to think of the reverse effect, i.e. the stator rotating and the rotor fixed. If the stator also has a cylindrical symmetric field, it won't cause eddy currents in the rotor. This also seems to hold for magentic bearings.

In the picture of your original post, the stator does not seem to be able to create a symmetric field like this, so there might be eddy currents in the rotor. I don't know how well symmetricity conditions are met in real bearings. It all depends on that.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: