Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HVHF Bobbins

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Thomas W
Mon Sept 15 2014, 03:50PM Print
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
Hello 4HV,

One of my running projects at the moment is a large HVHF transformer, i have a large core, U126/91/20-3C90 Link2

i have 2 U cores set up in UU formation, its really rather massive. However, i realised im gonna need some mega coilforms too. College has given me the goahead to use the mills / lathes when they are free.

My previous design was just a plan single layer HV bobbin with a primary winding inside it, however im thinking maybe going for segmented windings... Im hoping for somthing like:

14,000v - 0v - 14,000v
or
30,000v - 0v - 30,000v

Im planning on using Nylon 6 for the bobbin material. Just messing around on cad at the moment.

I plugged some numbers into a program i often use for transformers:
3PJAcvg

How does that sound?

Im thinking of using a CM300DY-24NF fullbridge, maybe a driver like this:
Link2

Planning to go at 70kHz just like Steve.

Also, if i must, i can submurge in oil, however i would rather not.

Does anyone have any input information on this idea, some design ideas, do/don't dos?

Thanks!
Tom
Ash Small
Mon Sept 15 2014, 04:17PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Why don't you design it to be submerged in oil and vacuum impregnated? I'm sure they will sort out a suitable vacuum pump.

This will mean you're not relying on the bobbin itself for primary insulation and is (in most people's opinion) far more professional.

It will give you more freedom in bobbin design, etc. and could still be modified/repaired/ improved later.
Thomas W
Mon Sept 15 2014, 04:43PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Why don't you design it to be submerged in oil and vacuum impregnated? I'm sure they will sort out a suitable vacuum pump.

This will mean you're not relying on the bobbin itself for primary insulation and is (in most people's opinion) far more professional.

It will give you more freedom in bobbin design, etc. and could still be modified/repaired/ improved later.

Because its a bit of a pain, as much as i could potentially get my hands on some oil, i would have to make a case for it etc, and find/ make some HV feedthroughs.
Ash Small
Mon Sept 15 2014, 05:38PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Thomas W wrote ...

Ash Small wrote ...

Because its a bit of a pain, as much as i could potentially get my hands on some oil, i would have to make a case for it etc, and find/ make some HV feedthroughs.

You would need to sort out some form of enclosure anyway, and HV feedthroughs need only be copper bolts in most situations, and you could use boiled cooking oil, the cheap stuff.

It can also help with cooling. Those big ferrites can get pretty hot. wink
Thomas W
Mon Sept 15 2014, 05:47PM
Ash Small wrote ...

You would need to sort out some form of enclosure anyway, and HV feedthroughs need only be copper bolts in most situations, and you could use boiled cooking oil, the cheap stuff.

It can also help with cooling. Those big ferrites can get pretty hot. wink

Good point, maybe i shall oil-cool it. here is my bobbin i have came up with:
ZijJmFus

Im thinking of winding each segment to 2000v and tap it off, then i can change the tappings for whatever voltage or current i intend to use.
Going to use a load of these on each hole.

i have a 5mm space to wind the primary on inside the former.
Gui6Kfps

With pins in:
QTR0a3gs
Sulaiman
Mon Sept 15 2014, 06:26PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I would not put the pins in a straight line,
example, alternate layers in line, two rows 45 degrees apart
this would reduce the risk of flashover.

I can not really see the point of taps, more feed-throughs, more wires to arc between etc.
... vary the primary drive for different outputs.

If you use epoxy or similar there will be no way to repair or modify the transformer,
if you use oil in a plastic container cooling will not be as good as
if you use a metal container, but feed-through and general insulation problems will be worse.

Consider a plastic oil-filled enclosure with oil pipes to an external radiator?

Last but not least, is nylon a good choice for the former?
Melting temperature, dielectric loss .....
just random thoughts
Thomas W
Mon Sept 15 2014, 07:09PM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I would not put the pins in a straight line,
example, alternate layers in line, two rows 45 degrees apart
this would reduce the risk of flashover.

I can not really see the point of taps, more feed-throughs, more wires to arc between etc.
... vary the primary drive for different outputs.

If you use epoxy or similar there will be no way to repair or modify the transformer,
if you use oil in a plastic container cooling will not be as good as
if you use a metal container, but feed-through and general insulation problems will be worse.

Consider a plastic oil-filled enclosure with oil pipes to an external radiator?

just random thoughts

Hmm, im thinking of machining this out of either PVC or Polypropylene now, im trying to cut down on the plastic cost (currently around £30 per core with one of those 2 materials)

Im thinking that those taps shouldn't be a problem as there is only a maximum of 2000v between any 2 adjacent wire. It also cuts down the risk of breaking the 0.355mm wire.
I shall do a few more mockups, i want to order the material within the next 2 days to get it done in college asap. I also have to take it to my friend to be wound as well.

Case wise, i would like to either have it just in air. Or have it under oil in a metal container.

new design:
HQMzHrKs
hen918
Mon Sept 15 2014, 07:13PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I, like Sulaiman, think that nylon is a bad idea, it tends to melt! I've had some bad experiences with PVC going gooey and my nylon MOSFET fasteners also failed before my MOSFETs.
BTW, can you tell me what software that is? I'm designing a switched mode inverter and it would be a godsend!

Thanks,
Henry
Thomas W
Mon Sept 15 2014, 07:20PM
hen918 wrote ...

I, like Sulaiman, think that nylon is a bad idea, it tends to melt! I've had some bad experiences with PVC going gooey and my nylon MOSFET fasteners also failed before my MOSFETs.
BTW, can you tell me what software that is? I'm designing a switched mode inverter and it would be a godsend!

Thanks,
Henry

Im just using Solid Edge ST6 Educational version (to purchase the software costs around £3-5k)
As for the transformer software, it can be found somewhere on diysmps.com. shouldn't be too hard to find but you will need to make an account.

Problem is, i really can't afford to spend over £40 on the coilforms materials really.
im using this company for the plastics: Link2
hen918
Mon Sept 15 2014, 07:30PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
I think the coil formers I bought from RS were made of some sort of thermosetting plastic although they did cost a fair bit and they're much smaller than the ones you need...
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: