Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HV mod for a Van Der Graff Generator

Move Thread LAN_403
HighVoltageProjects
Fri Sept 19 2014, 03:18PM Print
HighVoltageProjects Registered Member #9770 Joined: Wed Jan 23 2013, 01:42AM
Hi All I have a VDG and have heard that you can add an extra brush powered by a HV DC supply to spray + (positive) charge to the already charging + belt .the electrons from the supply attract to the belt and make much more power.

I've looked everywhere and cant find what type of voltages this requires for this ,so cant decide on a transformer to use .

If anyone knows what TX , supply voltages and I guess Watts too is normally used I would very much appreciate it .

I've tried a board from a plasma ball (LOPT or Flyback ) it worked to a degree but its not very powerful and has no - (negative ) .Generally there needs to be + for the brush that sprays the electrons and a - that would go to earth on the VDG .

Thank you in advance . John
Wastrel
Fri Sept 19 2014, 05:13PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
The VDGs I've seen have slowed down a lot when reaching full charge, I would expect these to be power limited by the motor.

Adding a charging brush say 5kv 10-100uA would allow you to remove the friction charger which would free up a bit more power.
Finn Hammer
Fri Sept 19 2014, 05:17PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
John,

Read this:
Link2
Cheers, Finn Hammer
Steve Conner
Fri Sept 19 2014, 05:57PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
A TV or monitor flyback should do. The modern ones all have a built in rectifier with positive DC output. A plasma ball driver has an AC output so it will do nothing.
Finn Hammer
Fri Sept 19 2014, 07:48PM
Finn Hammer Registered Member #205 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 11:59AM
In the VDG´s that I have built, I have used a LOPT, as Steve says.
I used a 120Mohm resistor in series between LOPT and comb, to limit current and avoid arcs to the pulley. Arcs will carbonize the belt and make it conductive.
It is well worth the effort to build the third comb up top, to double the charging current, by loading electrons to the belt on the down run. The arrangement of this second comb can be seen on the document I linked to before.
The idea is, that you connect the "pick off comb" to the top pulley, and feed the positive charge from it to the top electrode, via a suitably large resistor, so that a voltage in the region of 10Kv will develop across it due to the charging current.
This places the top roller at a 10Kv potential higher than the electrode. By connecting a third comb to the top electrode and placing it close to the belt on the down run, corona will form on it´s tips, but negative this time, and charge the belt negative, effectively doubling the generators current. Any serious VDG should have this.
You can see how this came out on the last batch I built here:

1411156006 205 FT166009 Vdg1

Cheers, Finn Hammer
HighVoltageProjects
Fri Sept 19 2014, 08:43PM
Thanks for all he help guys .Much appreciated !!

Finn.... I don't really understand where everything goes like the LOPT .I know it should be fairly simple I'll use a ZVS but at low power and try to figure the picture out its a little hard to work .

Oh and your VDG is amazing !!!
Antonio
Sat Sept 20 2014, 02:22PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Instead of spraying charge in the belt and grounding the lower roller you can just bias the roller at high voltage and ground the spraying comb. This doesn't require any current from the power supply, except for leakage. A small electrostatic generator can be used as bias source.
HighVoltageProjects
Sat Sept 20 2014, 02:51PM
Thanks Antonio . I don't understand though ,sorry !! frown

My field has been in Tesla coils for years and this is my first VDG .My top roller is the metal one and bottom is plastic .What kind of small electrostatic generator are you thinking I could use ? most things that I think of don't like being run open circuit .

My bottom comb is earthed .

I will add some pictures so you can see it ,Notice the top metal roller is on a plastic spindle though so making a brushed connection to it would be very hard for me

Thanks again guys all this info is invaluable ,I WILL learn this amazed
1411224712 9770 FT166009 Vdg Top

1411224712 9770 FT166009 Vdg Bottom

1411224712 9770 FT166009 Vdg
Antonio
Sat Sept 20 2014, 03:14PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Any electrostatic generator works in open circuit. For the bias generator you can use a friction generator, a Wimshurst machine, or any other that keeps constant polarity. Of course, and electronic power supply can be used, as one taken for a negative ion generator. The lower roller must be conductive (metal, wood) and insulated. Just connect the bias generator to it, and the bias charge will attract charges from the ground through the comb. All the energy for the operation is then provided by the motor turning the roller.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: