Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Carl A. Willis (44)

Next birthdays
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
10/04 Michael W. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

the voltage drops on my multiplier

Move Thread LAN_403
Andre
Sat May 04 2013, 12:47AM Print
Andre Registered Member #6921 Joined: Wed Sept 26 2012, 07:47PM
I have a voltage multiplier connected to an X-ray tube, but when I I set the filament too high, the voltage on the multiplier drops, but it goes up when lower the filament, but sometimes it would not output any voltage, is it the diodes or the caps that are failing?
and how can I test them since it only fail at HV around 50KV 70KV?
HV Enthusiast
Sat May 04 2013, 12:58AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
If the filament current is higher, you are drawing more of a load on the cathode, so yes, when the voltage multiplier is loaded more, the voltage should decrease.

However, you should be running your x-ray tube at the manufacturer recommend filament current. There shouldn't be a need to vary the filament current.
Andre
Sat May 04 2013, 05:28AM
yes I understand, you seem to have experience in multipliers how do you test the caps and diodes?
Fraggle
Sat May 04 2013, 10:35AM
Fraggle Registered Member #1526 Joined: Mon Jun 09 2008, 12:56AM
I worry that you don`t see the problem yet power an X-ray tube...
GrantX
Sun May 05 2013, 10:13AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
It doesn't seem like your multiplier is broken - they are load dependant, if the output resistance drops (hotter filament) then the output voltage will also drop. At short-circuit a multiplier's output voltage is zero and its current is limited by the size of its capacitors.

Be careful not to burn out the filament by taking it outside of the datasheet specs. Also beware of the obvious X-Ray hazard, but that should go without saying (if the tube is conducting enough to cause the multiplier's voltage to drop, then it's most likely emitting X-rays and cooking you).

To test a HV diode, place it in series with a resistor and LED, then use a LV power supply to visually see if its conducting in the correct direction. A HV capacitor should read open circuit on a DMM (>20M Ohm)
Andre
Sun May 05 2013, 06:43PM
thanks for the info guys, but this is a HV multiplier it does not fail at 1KV it fails at around 40KV when you apply a bit of current,lets put the x-ray out of the picture for a minute.

the multiplier is already damage because of my previews test with the xray and I'm trying to fix it.
I have 15KV caps I think thats where the problem is, does anyone know how can I test them because it does not show any problems when I check with a fluke meter..
Newton Brawn
Fri May 10 2013, 09:42PM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Provide a complete schematic, bill of all material with data, pics from your apparatus and them you may receive precise advice...to help you solve the trouble.
GrantX
Sun May 12 2013, 05:39AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Andre wrote ...

thanks for the info guys, but this is a HV multiplier it does not fail at 1KV it fails at around 40KV when you apply a bit of current

I think we'll need a complete schematic to help out properly.

Most importantly: What is the input frequency and voltage? What is the capacitance of each stage, and how many stages in total?

If the multiplier is built with small caps and has many stages, then there will be a significant voltage drop as soon as a small current is drawn from the output.

If you leave the multiplier's output unconnected and energize it to its full input voltage, is there any audible corona?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: