Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Blast shield construction

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Fri Oct 19 2012, 02:46AM Print
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I am planning on making a blast shield with lexan. After doing some reading I think 1/2" will work well. I also plan on taking a small piece to a gun range and shot it with a 9mm and .357 and assess the damage.

Has anyone built a blast shield? Any comments?

I plan to have this between me and my tubing which will be pressurized to 3000 psi.
deef
Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:28AM
deef Registered Member #207 Joined: Sat Feb 18 2006, 05:14PM
It's all going to be crude, but such is the nature of shielding oneself from blasts.

There seems to be plenty of resources online where people have shot miscellaneous things at Lexan sheet. If I were you, I would use their results as a crude benchmark for the material's reaction to objects with different kinetic energies. Use a rough estimation of the round's velocity and mass.

Next I'd take a look at the tubing you plan on pressurizing. Do some conservative estimations on average flying particle size/mass that you'd expect in the event of a failure. Figure some realistic velocities given your proximity to the source of the explosion. Then, correlate everything back to the original performance of a somewhat equivalent bullet. Finally, double the thickness you think is safe.

My only other comment is do some soul searching. Figure out whether you really need to witness the thing live. Maybe spend the money on a CCTV system as opposed to Lexan.

Actually, what am I talking about? Chicks dig scars.
Carbon_Rod
Fri Oct 19 2012, 06:24AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Synthetic sapphire laminates with bonded transparent metal infused co-polymers are not consumer equipment.

Bury whatever you plan to test below the local frost line in a pit, and use a mirror to peer 90' from behind a reinforced concrete wall with an earth roof. A few dozen Kevlar "drapes" hanging around a camera will stop most shards that would pass through a regular car frame.

Taking shrapnel in the face hurts, bleeds like a punctured garden hose, and makes people stare at you like you have a second ass. Even a shield wont stop a "curve ball" with a spiraling trajectory... please consider a camera looking on a plastic dollar store mirror instead.

You should also take a ticket certification course to learn about safety.

Dr. Slack
Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:17AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
You may have better fragment or round stopping power with several thin sheets, with airspaces between.

ABS (Lexan) has high tensile strength but is easy to cut, PMMA (Perspex, Lucite) shatters easily.

A sheet of PMMA backed by a sheet of ABS works in an interesting way. The PMMA shatters, and a piece comes off and stays ahead of the fragment, effectively blunting it. The ABS then has an easier job to stop it. "One way" "bullet-proof glass" has been demonstrated using this principle.

If tube bursts are the main cause for concern, wrapping them with a textile bandage will stop fragments, letting the working fluid through. Just add more layers until you think you have enough.

Of course wrapping the apparatus and a shield in front of the operator is belt and braces.
IamSmooth
Fri Oct 19 2012, 01:08PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I plan to use a camera and stand away from the operating system when active.

THe tubing is rated for 7000psi with a safety factor of about 3x
The fittings are also rated over 5000psi.

These are based on yield values for stainless. The failure values are much higher.
ConKbot of Doom
Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:36PM
ConKbot of Doom Registered Member #509 Joined: Sat Feb 10 2007, 07:02AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

You may have better fragment or round stopping power with several thin sheets, with airspaces between.

ABS (Lexan) has high tensile strength but is easy to cut, PMMA (Perspex, Lucite) shatters easily.

A sheet of PMMA backed by a sheet of ABS works in an interesting way. The PMMA shatters, and a piece comes off and stays ahead of the fragment, effectively blunting it. The ABS then has an easier job to stop it. "One way" "bullet-proof glass" has been demonstrated using this principle.

If tube bursts are the main cause for concern, wrapping them with a textile bandage will stop fragments, letting the working fluid through. Just add more layers until you think you have enough.

Of course wrapping the apparatus and a shield in front of the operator is belt and braces.

IIRC lexan is polycarbonate, not ABS, but the principal sounds right, as polycarb is a lot easier to scratch than acrylic (which seems like it would be related to cut resistance)

However, for equal stopping powers, I'd suspect steel would end up much cheaper then a polycarbonate sheet, so minimize the area you need to see though, unless you have other considerations to worry about.
Sulaiman
Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:48PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I believe that a significant factor is how the sheet is mounted,
e.g. all-around support in an elastic medium is best I think,
such as a (synthetic) rubber gasket around the edges which is clamped between rigid beams etc. is tougher than drilling a hole near each corner and using screws.
klugesmith
Fri Oct 19 2012, 10:25PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
IamSmooth wrote ...
...THe tubing is rated for 7000psi with a safety factor of about 3x
The fittings are also rated over 5000psi.
These are based on yield values for stainless. The failure values are much higher.

Here are a couple of points.

1. The hazard from a bursting tube depends as much on the length and diameter, as on the pressure. Of course you already knew that.

2. Strictly speaking, "blast" effects (e.g. from explosion of a munition) are just the damage from overpressure. They don't include damage from fragments, even when fragments are the primary kill mechanism.
Tetris
Sat Oct 20 2012, 08:55PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
If you're making a blast shield, you better make some C4 go boom :P

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: