Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Ivan Kalafatic (16)

Next birthdays
10/07 Pyromaniac (33)
10/07 Wavetuner (75)
10/07 jeffomatic (74)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Problem with GDT driver, voltage peaks, TVS-Diodes hot

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
mikrohenri
Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:14PM Print
mikrohenri Registered Member #4467 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 09:31AM
Hello!

I have been busy for some time to build induction heater. In the beginning there were more smaller structures with an output power of 50-200W, then I came back in the area of ca.1kW and now after many tests and experiments, I would now like to build a 2kW model.

The basic structure consists of an IGBT half-bridge and a parallel resonant circuit of HF-Cap and the induction coil.
As a control I use a GDT, the ratio of 1:1, bifilar wound on a ferrite toroid (10Wdg.) and was a square wave signal of + / - 20V out there (ca.40kHz). At the gate of the IGBT's are 22V TVS diode (1.5 KE22CA, bidirectional). The IGBTs have following electrical characteristics: 1200V, 570A, 30nF input capacitance.

Now the problem is that the TVS diodes become very hot. After a few test's I've found that the TVS diodes are only hot when the gate of the IGBT's are connected. After further experiments, in which I have the input capacitance of the IGBT's simulated by foil capacitors, I can see on the oscilloscope, that this will build a resonant circuit (see figure) and caused a surge that will make the TVS diodes so hot. Despite further measurements I can still find no solution to this problem. Since GDT's so often used to control, are also used by big IGBTs, I wonder whether something fundamental I'm doing wrong? Have you possibly experience in this regard?

Thanks for any help!

greeting
Dennis
1343855617 4467 FT0 Igbt Without Tvs
HV Enthusiast
Wed Aug 01 2012, 09:47PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
The TVS are hot because they are conducting all the time. I'm guessing you may need more gate resistance to help knock down some of the parasitic oscillations and also your gate transformer may need some modification as well.
Ben Solon
Thu Aug 02 2012, 12:54AM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Yep, evr is right, the secondary inductance is resonating with the hate capacitance. Try dampening it with a gate resistor.

Plus that's the worst gate drive signal I've ever seen minus some saturation of ferrites. Notice the gate voltage rating of the fets/igbts? Typicaly they're rated for 20v continuous maybe 30v peak-peak. You have 40 volts so you're probably killing the gate layer and possibly latching the device. And notice how the voltage doesn't just swing back into the linear region, it drops down bellow 0... You have --40v pk-pk-- on that gate where there should be a nice square wave. Do a bit of research on gate drive.
Wolfram
Thu Aug 02 2012, 06:24AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Do you have the parallel resonant tank circuit connected directly to the IGBT bridge output? If so, that's bad and you need a series inductor.
mikrohenri
Thu Aug 02 2012, 04:56PM
Hello!

Thank you for your replies!

@EasternVoltageResearch:
I've already experimented with the gate resistors, but there was the problem that the resistors (each 10W) have also become very hot. But the signal was so much better. Its no solution with these resistors, because the control-mosfets are also hot. No wonder because the resistors make a lot of heat...

@ben123324:
Without the voltage-peaks I have exactly 20V. The gates are charged with +20 V and discharged with -20V. I haven't got 40V!?? Do You think the gate signal will become better with an other ferrite-core?

@Wolfram:
No, the parallel resonant tank circuit is not directly connected to the IGBT-output. There is a matching inductor and a DC-blocking capacitor is series. I think this is ok.

Does anyone have ideas, how I can remove / filter the voltage peaks?

Thank you!

greeting
Dennis

HV Enthusiast
Thu Aug 02 2012, 06:26PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Yes, the resistors WILL become hot especially if you're running them at CW.

Next question. Is this going to be for a pulsed SSTC such as a DRSSTC? If so, and you're testing them at CW (100% duty), then during normal use (pulsed operation at low duty cycles), the components will not get very hot.

Any ideas how to remove the voltage peaks? Easy. You already found the answer. You need to add the resistor.

Actually, two things you can do.

1. Twist the wires as best you can between the driver and the transformer and the IGBT. This will keep parasitic inductance down and limit the magnitude of those inductive spikes you're seeing. If its a board layout, then make sure the RTN for the gate drive is on a plane underneath the traces going from gate drive to transformer.

2. Put those resistors back in. If they are getting to hot, you need to make further evaluations to see how to reduce the heat. (are you operating at the correct frequency, with the correct capacitive load, correct duty cycle, etc...)

Finally, the total heat dissipation in the gate drive circuit is going to be divided up primarily between the gate resistor and the impedance of the gate driver. If the gate resistor is 10 ohms and gate impedance 1 ohm, then the gate resistor will see approx. 10x the amount of heat dissipation.
Dr. ISOTOP
Thu Aug 02 2012, 09:28PM
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
I know from experience that driving bricks CW at 40 KHz in induction heater duty means you need a *very* large resistor. I was running +/-15V drive on a full-bridge at 65 KHz in mine, and even the 250W resistor I used at one point got blazing hot (mind you, this was with some inefficiencies and no heatsinking).
I eventually took the gate resistor out of mine, and somehow it still worked.
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 03 2012, 09:28AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think the problem is that your IGBTs are too big and slow for the job. You can get 2kW from TO-247 devices with far less gate capacitance.
mikrohenri
Fri Aug 03 2012, 10:54PM
Thanks for the replies!

@EasternVoltageResearch:
The driver is for an induction heater, this should mainly run with CW.
The wires are already twisted good.

@Dr. ISOTOP:
A gate-resistor with 250w is a bit much. I dont't think it's the best solution.

@Steve Conner:
You're right, with TO-247 devices, it is also possible to get 2kw. With less input capacity (~5nF) i have also these peaks.

I will try to change the ferrite material, maybe this is the problem!?

greeting
Dennis
Steve Conner
Sat Aug 04 2012, 06:19PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, you'll still get the peaks with smaller IGBTs, but they'll contain less energy, so your resistors and TVS won't get so hot.

I've never seen large IGBTs driven directly by GDTs, outside of amateur DRSSTC work.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: