Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nikhil (36)

Next birthdays
07/02 ArcLight (71)
07/02 dratomic (67)
07/03 Intra (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Lichtenberg Figures

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
AuroraFlame
Fri Jul 27 2012, 09:08AM Print
AuroraFlame Registered Member #5566 Joined: Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:55AM
Anybody understand what kind of power supply is being used to produce these captured lightning sculptures. They say its over two million volts but I find this hard to believe. I also don't understand why they need to be struck to produce this. Its beautiful the way it continues to spark even after the pulse has passed through the block of material.

Link2

Link2
Sigurthr
Fri Jul 27 2012, 12:10PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
IIRC they use an electron gun (in vaccuum) to shoot electrons in to the plastic to the point that they become embedded in high enough quantities that a massive charge builds up inside the plastic. I don't think 2million volts is applied to the electron injector, but rather the voltage between the charges inside the plastic is 2MV.

The reason it has to be struck to cause the effect is that the physical trauma causes a disruption in the system which avalanches. Think of the plastic block as an array of charged caps, and striking one is like shorting a cap.
HV Enthusiast
Fri Jul 27 2012, 01:22PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Bert Hickman makes beautiful Lichtenberg Figures. I have several i've purchased from him from various Teslathon events.

Be sure to check out his website. He has a wealth of information on high voltage, coin shrinking, and Lichtenburg figures he sells.

Pinky's Brain
Fri Jul 27 2012, 04:28PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
I wonder if it would be possible to bake in an electric charge into a polymer while it's hardening to get the same effect.
Steve Conner
Fri Jul 27 2012, 04:42PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
It's done with a "Dynamitron" electron beam accelerator, as Bert says in his videos. Link2

The Dynamitron is designed for industrial irradiation, and it produces 5MeV electrons that can easily travel through a few feet of air. They also travel through acrylic, but only for a short distance before becoming lodged inside the plastic block. When the block comes out of the accelerator it is literally stuffed full of excess electrons.
PhilGood
Sat Jul 28 2012, 07:58PM
PhilGood Registered Member #3806 Joined: Sat Apr 02 2011, 09:20PM
Beautiful results, I love this !
Wish small sparks could keep arcing indefinitely ^^
DrZoidberg
Sat Jul 28 2012, 09:19PM
DrZoidberg Registered Member #350 Joined: Mon Mar 27 2006, 05:14PM
Is it somehow possible to create something like that at home? Do you really need 5MV. Maybe 1 MV is enough for small pieces of acrylic. A small beam current of e.g. 1µA should be sufficient, you just have to irradiate the acrylic block for a while.
But I guess you would still need shielding around the setup to protect against x-rays.
It would be great if there was a simpler way to do this that doesn't require an electron accelerator.
What if you simply take a piece of acrylic and put positiv charge on one side and negative charge on the other? Could that work too or does the charge have to be inside the material?
HV Enthusiast
Sat Jul 28 2012, 09:50PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
DrZoidberg wrote ...

Is it somehow possible to create something like that at home? Do you really need 5MV. Maybe 1 MV is enough for small pieces of acrylic. A small beam current of e.g. 1µA should be sufficient, you just have to irradiate the acrylic block for a while.
But I guess you would still need shielding around the setup to protect against x-rays.
It would be great if there was a simpler way to do this that doesn't require an electron accelerator.
What if you simply take a piece of acrylic and put positiv charge on one side and negative charge on the other? Could that work too or does the charge have to be inside the material?

Bert is one of the leading experts in high voltage in the United States. He has elaborate equipment for his coin shrinking endeavors and much much more. I'm sure if it could be done at home, Bert would have a way to do it. From speaking with Bert years back, he pays quite a pretty penny to rent time for the electron accelerator.
Pinky's Brain
Sat Jul 28 2012, 10:32PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
What exactly would happen if you put some uv curing polymer in a box with a HV electrode and a magnetic stirrer, letting it stir for a while and then curing it with an UV lamp?

Can the polymer store sufficient static charge to get destructive discharges when hit by a ground pin? If not, why not?
DrZoidberg
Sat Jul 28 2012, 11:48PM
DrZoidberg Registered Member #350 Joined: Mon Mar 27 2006, 05:14PM
Pinky's Brain wrote ...

What exactly would happen if you put some uv curing polymer in a box with a HV electrode and a magnetic stirrer, letting it stir for a while and then curing it with an UV lamp?

Can the polymer store sufficient static charge to get destructive discharges when hit by a ground pin? If not, why not?
If you have a 2MV HV electrode. But I think the ions inroduced into the polymer would quickly move to the surface.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: