Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/17 Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

magnetron coupling.

Move Thread LAN_403
cedric
Sat Dec 24 2011, 12:52PM Print
cedric Registered Member #2941 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 08:08AM
hello everybody,

I want to couple a magnetron with a high voltage high power 75 ohm coax for some experiment, but I can not get any information about the output impedance of a standard magnetron. the 1/8 wave antenna of the devise suggest a low impedance source (but I am not sure), impedance transformer are not an easy think to build unless I have some idea of the output impedance of the magnetron itself, please can some one help me ?

ps:I am a high voltage ingenieur and I have some understanding about microwave energy ,so please, spare yourself the traditional warning paragraph .
Steve Conner
Sat Dec 24 2011, 02:10PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The antenna should be 1/4 wave not 1/8, as a 1/4 wave probe is a standard way of coupling to waveguide. The tip is a high impedance voltage node, which is why it has the large metal end, to stop breakout. And being a 1/4 wave vertical, the impedance at the base ought to be about 50 ohms.

It could be done a number of ways, but if it were me, I'd attach another 1/4 wave line to the tip of the antenna to extend it to 1/2 wave. This will transform the impedance back to what it was at the magnetron. Then attach a coax connector (N type?) to the end. Enclose the resulting line in a copper shield that attaches to the magnetron body at one end, and the outer part of the coax connector at the other. Make sure the connection is really good, the shield is a good Faraday cage, and there is a decent amount of clearance around the line. (ideally the shield is a tube of a size that would be 75 ohm coaxial with the diameter of the antenna tip)

You could also add a tuning screw that allows you to vary capacitance to ground around the 1/4 wave node.

Disclaimer: never tried it. Seen others do it a different way, using a short piece of rectangular waveguide with another 1/4 wave probe in the other end.
cedric
Sat Dec 24 2011, 02:41PM
thanks for the answer,
I realize my mistake about 1/8 antenna,
I didn't consider the ceramic part of it witch of course radiate as well, now the funny thing is that with the ceramic part the antenna is 25.75 mm long, witch is not exactly 4/1 wave , but maybe they use trick to tune it with the internal feed line...50 ohm to 75 ohm is (sort of) of acceptable to me as I don't intend to run the magnetron at full power.
Steve Conner
Mon Dec 26 2011, 10:06AM
Have you seen the microwave ion source on coultersmithing.com?
Link2
Steve Conner
Tue Dec 27 2011, 10:51PM
Oh, sorry for the double post but I wanted to post this link before I forgot. It shows an actual magnetron to N connector job.
Link2
cedric
Sat Dec 31 2011, 03:35PM
Dr. Watt The Fork wrote ...

Oh, sorry for the double post but I wanted to post this link before I forgot. It shows an actual magnetron to N connector job.
Link2

I have seen it , but what is the benefice of coupling it this way?
Steve Conner
Sat Dec 31 2011, 03:41PM
It's the easiest way to understand, as it's just the magnetron antenna in reverse.

Doug Coulter's ion source shows the technique I tried to explain. I think you can just put a coax connector on the end of the hardline where his resonant cavity is.
hboy007
Sat Dec 31 2011, 05:58PM
hboy007 Registered Member #1667 Joined: Sat Aug 30 2008, 09:57PM
Link2 might be interesting for you. The link above shows the coupling of an antenna to a rectangular waveguide / cavity. I would also consider the stud coming out of the magnetron as an antenna, the cylinder shape effectively shortens the geometric antenna length and surpresses arcing.

You would start calculating the geometry based on the cut-off frequency of the most suitable cavity mode, then place the magnetron and coupling antenna at the electric field extrema.You could then also make one wall movable to adjust the power output.

Literature suggestion: J.D. Jackson, classical electrodynamics (a very thorough introduction).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: