All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Improved Royer Oscillator Problem.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Arcstarter
Wed Mar 23 2011, 07:52PM Print
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Awhile back i decided i wanted to make a general purpose Royer oscillator that was even more efficient than Mazzilli's schematic. It works the same, but it utilities a dual gate driver to give the gates a square signal instead of the 'sine' waveform it normally sees. This lowers switching losses even further.

I made the PCB, but i never printed it. Then recently, i saw the Royer induction heater made by 'Neon John' ( Link2 ) and decided to adopt the NAND gates to insure both mosfets may never turn on at the same time. It turned out to be pretty close to Link2 . I omited the 10K pulldown resistor on the gates, as well as the zener. For the NAND i used a 7400, and the mosfet driver is a UCC27324. After i added that, i made the PCB.

I hooked the driver up to a flyback, and tested it at 24v. It oscillated fine, and the gate waveforms where nice and had minimal ringing. Nothing heated, either. But, as soon as i ignited an arc, the circuit stopped oscillating, and one of the mosfets would be held on and would short the supply through half the primary.

I tried numerous different transformer combinations. The one i found that worked best was a U core transformer with .5+.5:1 ratio, and a small work coil for induction heating. It pulled about 200 watts, and the IRFP460's stayed cool with no heatsink, but if i inserted a piece of metal that presented too much of a load, the same thing happened. All tests where done with a .5uf cap tank cap and about 100 turns of quad-filar 24 gauge on a 2 inch ferrite toroid for the input inductor.

I have never had this happen with an all discrete Royer (The Mazzilli circuit), so i think it has something to do with either the NAND gate or the driver. I am leaning toward the NAND gate. I will attach a screenshot of the .pcb file just in case it helps. The tank caps are actually on the bottom of the circuit board, for the record.

Inducktion
Wed Mar 23 2011, 08:34PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Arcstarter wrote ...

Awhile back i decided i wanted to make a general purpose Royer oscillator that was even more efficient than Mazzilli's schematic. It works the same, but it utilities a dual gate driver to give the gates a square signal instead of the 'sine' waveform it normally sees. This lowers switching losses even further.

I made the PCB, but i never printed it. Then recently, i saw the Royer induction heater made by 'Neon John' ( Link2 ) and decided to adopt the NAND gates to insure both mosfets may never turn on at the same time. It turned out to be pretty close to Link2 . I omited the 10K pulldown resistor on the gates, as well as the zener. For the NAND i used a 7400, and the mosfet driver is a UCC27324. After i added that, i made the PCB.

I hooked the driver up to a flyback, and tested it at 24v. It oscillated fine, and the gate waveforms where nice and had minimal ringing. Nothing heated, either. But, as soon as i ignited an arc, the circuit stopped oscillating, and one of the mosfets would be held on and would short the supply through half the primary.

I tried numerous different transformer combinations. The one i found that worked best was a U core transformer with .5+.5:1 ratio, and a small work coil for induction heating. It pulled about 200 watts, and the IRFP460's stayed cool with no heatsink, but if i inserted a piece of metal that presented too much of a load, the same thing happened. All tests where done with a .5uf cap tank cap and about 100 turns of quad-filar 24 gauge on a 2 inch ferrite toroid for the input inductor.

I have never had this happen with an all discrete Royer (The Mazzilli circuit), so i think it has something to do with either the NAND gate or the driver. I am leaning toward the NAND gate. I will attach a screenshot of the .pcb file just in case it helps. The tank caps are actually on the bottom of the circuit board, for the record.

I can see the problem right away. The NAND gates need to be schmitt trigger ones, otherwise they may float in indefineable states, which might be what's causing your problem.
Wed Mar 23 2011, 08:38PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
Try CMOS NANDs instead.
Arcstarter
Wed Mar 23 2011, 08:39PM
Damn my lack of experience with logic gates! At least i can get rid of that 5v regulator with a CMOS...

Thanks guys!
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Mar 23 2011, 10:17PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
I have succesfully built an "active feedback" version of this driver, it uses a 74HC14 (oscillation start and feed back) and two gate drivers. The feedback is based on a feedback winding rather than the problematic diode feedback. If anyone is interested I can post a schematic tomorrow.
Inducktion
Wed Mar 23 2011, 11:33PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

I have succesfully built an "active feedback" version of this driver, it uses a 74HC14 (oscillation start and feed back) and two gate drivers. The feedback is based on a feedback winding rather than the problematic diode feedback. If anyone is interested I can post a schematic tomorrow.
Link2
Like this? :o
Arcstarter
Wed Mar 23 2011, 11:43PM
Dr. Kilovolt wrote ...

That is funny, i just made a new royer with a gate driver, and instead of a NAND, i used a 74HC14, mostly due to the fact that i only have inverting drivers, but it will also ensure a good signal. So, i guess it is like yours, but with the diode feedback scheme.
James
Thu Mar 24 2011, 01:24AM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
It's hard to tell without a schematic, but do you have diodes to keep the feedback into the gates from going above Vcc or below Gnd? Also it looks like you have some unconnected gates in the package, that's a bad idea. Unused inputs should always be tied to either Vcc or Gnd, otherwise you can get spurious oscillation that can affect the portions of the IC that you're using. Don't forget bypass capacitors across the power rails of each IC either.
Arcstarter
Thu Mar 24 2011, 02:12AM
James wrote ...

It's hard to tell without a schematic, but do you have diodes to keep the feedback into the gates from going above Vcc or below Gnd? Also it looks like you have some unconnected gates in the package, that's a bad idea. Unused inputs should always be tied to either Vcc or Gnd, otherwise you can get spurious oscillation that can affect the portions of the IC that you're using. Don't forget bypass capacitors across the power rails of each IC either.
There are unconnected gates, but i soldered on a small piece of copper wire to the unused pins and grounded them. Whats the point? I don't know smile I always use bypass capacitors. In my days of breadboarding i realized just how terribly logic performs when there are no bypass capacitors.
mohiuddinHimel
Tue Oct 09 2012, 12:52PM
mohiuddinHimel Registered Member #4254 Joined: Sat Dec 10 2011, 09:36PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Hey i was working on a ZVS induction heater and um veru much excited to see your circuit!!

1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: