All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Experiments with internal flyback primaries

Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Mar 16 2011, 04:15AM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
So I was playing with this fancy flyback (the white one) when the secondaries started arcing. Upon closer inspection I realized the HV secondary could be removed, so I proceeded to remove it and remove all the windings.

1300248649 2893 FT0 Dsc09989

I was left with an empty core, so I figured it'd be neat for this FBT to have a center tapped primary, so I made one.

1300248739 2893 FT0 Dsc00020

I then spent a half hour cutting and wrapping freezer paper around it so the secondary would fit in place.

1300248763 2893 FT0 Dsc00022

I then hooked it up to a 24V zvs and the arcs were long and hot, about 4.5" long and 15mm wide. Since there are no evil secondaries I think this fbt could be pushed up to even 40kV before bad things happen. One primary side has a 2.3uH inductance while the other has a 1.7uH inductance, yet that didn't seem to have any adverse effects on performance. My biggest concern is that the wire I used for the primary may be a bit too thin, but too late now.

I noticed something interesting. With an external primary the ZVS would tend to go into parasitic oscillations and squeal, but with an internal primary this was not the case. This leads me to believe that the zvs circuit itself is not the problem, but the flybacks that we drive are...
James
Wed Mar 16 2011, 05:42PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
I try to use the internal primary windings whenever I can. Adding new windings on the other side of the core increases leakage inductance which is generally undesirable. As you mention, the existing primary windings can sometimes arc when overdriving the thing. Biggest problem I've had is arcing from the secondary to the core. Grounding the core and the inner end of the secondary does help to prevent this.
Patrick
Wed Mar 16 2011, 08:22PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
James wrote ...

I try to use the internal primary windings whenever I can. Adding new windings on the other side of the core increases leakage inductance which is generally undesirable....

Im not sure what you mean here? I think the leakage is the same for a any same primary any where along the length of the core? What Grenadier maybe seeing is the capacitive effects, which may be better one way or the other.

EDIT: Grenadier, that white one is a beauty, but that gap in the last pic may be abit excessive? maybe? Have you experimentally determined that it needs to be that big?
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Mar 16 2011, 08:34PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
The leakage inductance is often the only thing limiting the current in these drivers.
Adam Munich
Sat Mar 19 2011, 08:40PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Patrick wrote ...

EDIT: Grenadier, that white one is a beauty, but that gap in the last pic may be abit excessive? maybe? Have you experimentally determined that it needs to be that big?

I didn't clamp down the core yet, and I forgot to subscribe to this thread.

I plan to combine that FBT with this dual capacitor to make a 60-70 kV or so power supply (voltage doubler). Should be pretty neat when I get around to it, and since the FBT is plastic insulated it should have no problem pushing 35kV.

1300567193 2893 FT110828 Dsc00122

Edit: Look what I just found Link2

Two Ig3gt HV recitifers. Now I have all I need to make the voltage doubler. (of course the rectifiers will need a lead sheath to block the 30kV xrays)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: