Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
09/29 Ultra7 (54)
09/29 uitvinderalex (36)
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1.2 MV Marx Generator

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dr. ISOTOP
Tue Dec 21 2010, 11:45PM Print
Dr. ISOTOP Registered Member #2919 Joined: Fri Jun 11 2010, 06:30PM
A continuation of the discussion in my "I have some capacitors..." thread.
I have a 16 6.66 nF high-voltage pulse capacitors, good for 200pps@50KV, a low rep rate at 80KV, and single-shot operation at 100KV, with polypropelene dielectric. The current plan is to build a 16-stage Marx generator charged to 80KV/stage using an x-ray transformer. Charging will be with inductors, since I can't find power resistors capable of withstanding 80KV.
Since I can't build anything right now (the caps are at college and I'm at home), I might as well plan this out nicely. Anything I should watch out for?
Should I make this a bipolar Marx instead?
mikeselectricstuff
Wed Dec 22 2010, 12:36AM
mikeselectricstuff Registered Member #311 Joined: Sun Mar 12 2006, 08:28PM
Bipolar has advantages in reducing voltage above ground, reducing corona issues, and also allowing use in a smaller space - less ground clearance required. 6.66nf at 80KV/stage is going to make an almighty bang...
I suspect resistors could be the biggest challenge.
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Dec 22 2010, 01:24AM
If I were to charge using inductors, what inductance should I aim for? From what I can find, it should be around 1 mH.
klugesmith
Wed Dec 22 2010, 03:50AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
bwang wrote ...
Charging will be with inductors, since I can't find power resistors capable of withstanding 80KV.
.... Anything I should watch out for?
Each inductor will need to withstand 80 kV between its terminals when the bank fires.
Pinky's Brain
Wed Dec 22 2010, 03:52AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
I think it depends on what you are discharging into. AFAICS L should be significantly greater than discharge time squared divided by C ... 1 mH should do that for a spark.

It's also possible to build a Marx with diodes and one single inductor BTW. The inductor has to hold off the full output voltage though, and it sees a smaller capacitance on discharge (the series capacitance) so it needs a higher inductance too (so basically all the inductors you didn't put in between the stages end up strung together at the end).

Link2
Dr. Shark
Wed Dec 22 2010, 04:17AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
Nice project, and exactly what you should do with those capacitors! You might want to reconsider using resistors for charging though. I am not sure how you would figure out the correct inductance, Pinkys "discharge time squared divided by C" probably derives from ω = sqrt(1/LC) and should put you into the micro or even nano-henrys for any reasonably fast discharge. But if it's way up at 1mH, you are basically Tesla Coil secondary territory. Winding all these coils would be a major PITA. I also vaguely recall (and I thought Mike had tried this) that people here were having trouble with resonance between charging inductors and the capacitors, leading to voltage spikes that destroyed some of the capacitors. You may want to take precautions with safety gaps or start out at a much lower than rated voltage.
Dr. ISOTOP
Wed Dec 22 2010, 05:08AM
Hmm...for a 1 microsecond discharge time, Pinky's formula gives me 0.1 mH, which seems to be much more reasonable to wind than 1 mH.
Dr. Shark
Thu Dec 23 2010, 01:10AM
Dr. Shark Registered Member #75 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 09:30AM
If you want to get serious with the Marx and e.g. fry all your home electronics rather than just creating a loud bang, I think you would be looking at discharge time in the nanoseconds. Your capacitors should be fully capable of that, it's just a question of getting the geometry right. But even a conservative 100µH could be as low as you would want to go since the coils need to be physically large enough to withstand 100kV across them.
ScotchTapeLord
Thu Dec 23 2010, 02:14AM
ScotchTapeLord Registered Member #1875 Joined: Sun Dec 21 2008, 06:36PM
Your neighbors are going to love this...

The pulse time will be governed by the esl of your capacitors in series and your layout...
You might need to take some measures to suppress corona.

And the inductors forming a resonant circuit with the capacitors could be a real problem, as someone mentioned. You may want to use your capacitors at a lower voltage to account for possible voltage excursions...
klugesmith
Thu Dec 23 2010, 02:38AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Dr. Shark wrote ...
100µH could be as low as you would want to go since the coils need to be physically large enough to withstand 100kV across them.
For reference, here's a 50 µH single-layer coil wound with AWG10 wire (during development of a one-off LISN).
It's ugly 'cause hot melt glue softened during a test at 50 amps.
1293071742 2099 FT104049 Lisn Coil 49 Cr

As for resonances: a SPICE simulation would be easy to set up and might be very enlightening.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: