Bill G (64)
Overclocked (37)
Edi (31)

Next birthdays
09/21 Bill G (64)
09/21 Overclocked (37)
09/21 Edi (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ATTN: People with big x-ray tubes.

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Wed Dec 08 2010, 01:58AM Print
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
A nightlight made out of one would be petty beast. With the heater fed 1/2 its nominal ratings it should last a long time too.
Proud Mary
Wed Dec 08 2010, 07:22AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Grenadier wrote ...

A nightlight made out of one would be petty beast. With the heater fed 1/2 its nominal ratings it should last a long time too.

An illuminating idea...
radhoo
Wed Dec 08 2010, 10:57AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Grenadier wrote ...

I can't follow. What do you understand by "nightlight"?
Adam Munich
Wed Dec 08 2010, 11:31AM
Fabio
Fri Dec 10 2010, 12:12PM
Fabio Registered Member #122 Joined: Fri Feb 10 2006, 12:55PM
Giant tubes can be really cool if recycled as paperweight, ornament, nightlight or electric heater (yes, really big tubes can dissipate many hundreds of watts in the filament and can be used during winter!) but can pose an high risk of implosion.

BIG Xray tubes (as the ones used in CAT scanners) can literaly become a fragmentation bomb if incidentally broken and the shattered pieces of glass can cause many damages on human body including permanent eye damages.

I had a bad experience some years ago, i incidentally drop a small oscilloscope tube on the floor causing his implosion.

My legs was hitted by many tens of small pieces of glass causing many wounds; about a dozen of pieces remained embedded in my skin necessitating the subsequent removal.

Luckily the tube was small, the glass thikness was consequently small and the implosion took place on the ground, only small pieces were generated and my eyes were not involved, but a giant Xray tube have a thicker glass and a nightlight is usually mounted to the head height........ definitely........ an Xray nightlight is cool but isn't recomended!!!

Ciao!
Fabio.
Adam Munich
Fri Dec 10 2010, 08:37PM
So don't break it! Don't forget that crt TVs are an implosion hazard too. So long as you don't break it you'll be fine.

I highly doubt they'll break themselves too. After all, they are at high vacuum and any weakness would surely have caused it to fail in the machine it was once in.
Fabio
Fri Dec 10 2010, 09:39PM
A television tube is fitted with an integral implosion protection system, (the metallic band fixed on the edges of the screen, in concert with the rounded structure of the front glass can temporarly mantain the integrity of the front screen during an implosion; the danger remains only inside the television where the plastic case can contain the shattered glasses) also is almost impossible to incidentally break the front of a television CRT because the front glass is rounded and really thick.

at the contrary, an xray tube haven't any protection against the effects of an implosion and the glass is thin enough to break if you accidentally hit with a broomstick..... remember, a television tube is designed to be used with the front screen permanently exposed to unskilled (and sometimes unwary) people and on the contrary, only trained people with proper personal protective equipments and proper procedures should handle and replace an xray tube.

Trust me, i have about 25 different xray tubes (someone giant) and i know their dangers.
Adam Munich
Fri Dec 10 2010, 10:01PM
Link2

Problem solved? If the tube were to break, this would absorb a lot of the energy.
Fabio
Fri Dec 10 2010, 10:33PM
yes, a dome can easily protect the tube against unwanted shocks that can break the tube and cause an implosion.

A self-implosion without any external trigger is very-very-very unlikely, but even if it happening the plastic dome can protect from glass shrapnel.
Mattski
Sat Dec 11 2010, 03:44AM
Mattski Registered Member #1792 Joined: Fri Oct 31 2008, 08:12PM
Fabio wrote ...

a television tube is designed to be used with the front screen permanently exposed to unskilled (and sometimes unwary) people and on the contrary, only trained people with proper personal protective equipments and proper procedures should handle and replace an xray tube.
I can attest to the durability of TV's from the front side. When my brother was moving out of a dorm once he had a CRT TV in a shopping cart, which toppled over at some point in the process and fell on its face. The only damage was some pitting to the glass which could barely be seen and some slight cracking of the plastic frame.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: