Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Th3_uN1Qu3 (33)

Next birthdays
06/19 sio2 (50)
06/20 Sparrow338 (35)
06/20 oxodoes (34)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun Amateur

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ant59
Sun Nov 21 2010, 10:16PM Print
Ant59 Registered Member #3431 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 10:07PM
I really want to build a coilgun for A2 Physics, however I have absolutely no idea where to start. I've done loads of research a lot of different websites and got together some components and stuff, but I'm unsure what to do first. If I can get started, I can work everything else out (I think lol). Can someone point me in the right direction please? Thanks in advance! :)
Alex Smith
Sun Nov 21 2010, 10:45PM
Alex Smith Registered Member #3258 Joined: Wed Sept 29 2010, 06:25PM
Haha I just did this for my A2 coursework on Thursday!
Firstly, find out your capacitors, as this will probably end up defining all the parameters for you coil and projectile etc. You may need to check with you teachers btw as its probably restricted to 50Volts or so (if you want ive got loads of 9000 microFarad 50V caps). If not then use photoflash capacitors (lots of info on the everywhere) which are 330V. Youll also need a way to charge them - hopefully your department will have a HV power supply.
Then try and find a projectile, probably nails? and a firing tube (preferably not metal) after which you try and find a coil size using barrys coilgun sim.
You'll also need a way to switch the current. I used a SCR, which worked great but is a bit of an outlay, other guys here will hopefully have an alternative.
Thats basically the whole of it - don't over complicate if you dont need to!

Oh and what's your budget btw?

- HTH Alex
Ant59
Mon Nov 22 2010, 09:44AM
Thanks for the advice. I don't think that budget should be a huge issue, as I should be able to get most of the stuff off the science department here. I have capacitors, but I haven't seen them yet, so I don't know their ratings. I'll start with them then, and work around that.
Artikbot
Mon Nov 22 2010, 12:55PM
Artikbot Registered Member #3247 Joined: Mon Sept 27 2010, 09:42AM
Edit: oh crap, someone delete this. Wrong topic.
Ant59
Mon Nov 22 2010, 02:37PM
Yay :) My school has given me 2 41000uF 50V capacitors (HUGE! lol). Where do I go from here? I've set up a simple circuit, and the capacitors work, and I get a magnetic pulse through a simple coil. What's next from here? What sort of equations should I be looking at. (Sorry if I'm just being dumb with asking all this).
Alex Smith
Mon Nov 22 2010, 03:00PM
WOW. They are mental. Dont mess around with these, if they blow up... *shudder*

You need to aim for a pulse length of around 4ms (see Barrys site)
Anyway, you will probably only be able to use 1 cap as at 50V that much capacitance will take too long to discharge even with 2mm wire. Alternatively use them in series to get 100V at 20500uF (this is what I would do), but this will evidently need a 100V power supply (DC remember or youll blow them up).

Are they electrolytic? and/or do you have model numbers of them so we can find some sort of datasheet?

Heck looking at barrys sim you may still have too much capacitance at 100V. Using a quick estimate of 2.0mm wire ), the discharge time is way over 4ms (around 13ms atm) and there is a massive spike of negative voltage which would probably annihilate those capacitors. Critically dampening it would reduce the negative spike to almost zero and the zero voltage time would be circa 15ms, but you would need a really really heavy projectile and the circuit is going to be quite inefficient (well in terms of coilguns anyway).

I'm not particularly well versed in this stuff though so hopefully somebody else will have some suggestions or find a error in my reasoning which means it'll all be ok ;)
Neuuubeh
Mon Nov 22 2010, 08:06PM
Neuuubeh Registered Member #3411 Joined: Sat Nov 13 2010, 08:25PM
Try going with one for the first try. 2 might work I believe, but you will need really really thick conductors, both for your coil and for the rest of the curcuit. Thick short ones :D. Id rather look at something like that rather than putting them in series. Then again, maybe this kind of supply is more use for a small railgun or something..

Do you know what you will be switching with? Will you be able to get some measuring equipment from your school as well? An LCR meter to measure inductance and resistance at even low levels? If you manage to get your hands on this, it should be really helpful to optimize your design

I would imagine a diode to rectify the negative swing and possibly to feed back to the caps would be nice as well?

PS. 50v 41mf caps, they are electrolytic and I dont really see what will happen to them? Just put them in a box or so and all will be good, 50v is not really dangerous, and you will probably be charging them to 42-45 volts tops anyhow

PS2. For us non-british people, when do you guys have those Physics a2 classes?
Ant59
Mon Nov 22 2010, 08:11PM
Alex Smith wrote ...

WOW. They are mental. Dont mess around with these, if they blow up... *shudder*

Ok, so those are pretty huge. After some more searching in the store cupboards, I've found a huge stash of 25V 2200uF caps instead.

Atm, I have made a coil with 22 SWG wire. It's 60mm long and has an inner diameter of 12mm. I've used a plastic pipe inside, and used the lathe to make a 10mm wide, 60mm long bullet out of mild steel. I have a solid state relay to fire the pulse through the circuit. I only have 1 coil layer, so I guess I'm going to need to do some more winding for more layers? According to Barry's inductance sim, my coil has 0.05mH :S Surely this is too low. I'm hoping to achieve 4ms of timing using the relay circuit, saving me having to critically damp the circuit and loose power. Am I going the right way about this? TIA :)
Ant59
Tue Nov 23 2010, 12:24AM
I've stopped using the huge caps, since they arced earlier, and I'm not going near them again haha.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

Do you know what you will be switching with?

At the moment, I'm using a solid state relay.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

Will you be able to get some measuring equipment from your school as well? An LCR meter to measure inductance and resistance at even low levels? If you manage to get your hands on this, it should be really helpful to optimize your design

Not sure what an LCR meter is. The best I have is a simple multimeter.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

I would imagine a diode to rectify the negative swing and possibly to feed back to the caps would be nice as well?

I've seen this before, but not greatly sure how to go about it. I have 6 diodes, I'm just not sure where to place them. I've heard they're to be put in "anti-parallel" to the coil, but I'm lost on that :S lol.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

PS. 50v 41mf caps, they are electrolytic and I dont really see what will happen to them? Just put them in a box or so and all will be good, 50v is not really dangerous, and you will probably be charging them to 42-45 volts tops anyhow

As said in my previous post, I'm using much smaller caps now, and I have ample supply of them :)

Neuuubeh wrote ...

A2 Physics is the second year of an A-Level Physics course. I have college every weekday, and atm I'm spending a little time everyday on this project.
Alex Smith
Tue Nov 23 2010, 05:03PM
Ant59 wrote ...

Not sure what an LCR meter is. The best I have is a simple multimeter.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

I've seen this before, but not greatly sure how to go about it. I have 6 diodes, I'm just not sure where to place them. I've heard they're to be put in "anti-parallel" to the coil, but I'm lost on that :S lol.

Neuuubeh wrote ...

A2 Physics is the second year of an A-Level Physics course. I have college every weekday, and atm I'm spending a little time everyday on this project.

1) Google is your friend, heck I didn't know what an LCR meter is, but i do (vaguely) now.

2) Look at the max negative (below the x axis) amperage in barrys sim and try to find a single diode which has a surge current rating somewhere above that and also has a breakdown voltage alot above your capacitors max voltage rating.

Anti parallel is when the diode blocks the forward flow of current from the caps - so it all flows through the coil, but if you get that negative spike it should allow the current to continuously drain itself with the resistance from the coil.. Clicky

3) A2 is the year before uni and our results affect where we go, so its important ;)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: