All today's birthdays', congrats!
Shaun (34)
Spedy (30)

Next birthdays
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
05/02 Alfredo Texacca (60)
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Ignition coil spark/ark contest

Move Thread LAN_403
dan
Sun Mar 05 2006, 07:57PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
Ignition coil spark/ark contest

I noticed the flyback ark contest and I thought maybe I should start an ignition coil ark/spark contest. This contest is for the longest spark obtainable from a single ignition coil of any type. This will be an on going contest with no final closing date. To submit your ignition coil driver simply reply to this thread and provide all details into one or two posts.

Here are the Rules:

1. You may use only 1 automotive ignition coil of any type, manufacturer or model at a time.
2. You may modify said ignition coil anyway you see fit.
3. The ignition coil must not be driven by a higher input voltage (Ex. connecting a TC to the ignition coil.)
4. You must be willing to provide full disclosure of your setup. This includes but not limited to schematics, pictures, Videos (if possible).
5. You must be able to take a picture with a ruler (metric or imperial) behind the spark gap prior to firing and a picture with the actual ark with ruler removed. (This is to avoid surface tracking along the ruler). There must be no evidence of the spark gap being push closer together between the pictures.
6. You may drive the ignition coil anyway you want just as long as this does not conflict with rule 3.
7. Rules may be added or removed at my discretion. However I’m not going to be overly anal when it comes to the rules.
8. As suggested by Vasil the sparkgap should be made with $0.25(us/canadian) or 1 euro. Other currency my be accepted if the diameter of the coin can be verified.

If you think any of the rules should be changed, removed or added please send me a private message and I will take your comment into consideration. Please I ask that there be no general discussion on the contest here. If someone feels that general discussion is necessary on this contest please consider starting an “Ignition coil spark contest discussion” thread.

Once submissions start coming in I will divide them into sub categories based on Driver type and voltage input. (Ex. Tesla coil, Oscillator and single Transistor (ex. Classic 555 and 2n3055), 120v/220v half/full Bridge, etc). They will be put into a list in this original post.
Steve Conner
Sun Mar 05 2006, 08:08PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Good luck everyone! If you're interested, Terry Fritz of the Tesla Coil Mailing List ran a contest like this a couple of years back. I think the longest spark they got was 13", by Terry himself. He removed the iron core, put the coil in an oil bucket with a foot-long oil filled PVC tube over the terminal, and discharged something like a 4uF 1000v cap into the primary through a spark gap. The coil would die after abut ten shots of that. Google for GMHEICSLR....

vasil
Sun Mar 05 2006, 09:35PM
vasil Registered Member #229 Joined: Tue Feb 21 2006, 07:33PM
See the notes about GMHEICSLR on Sam Barros site:

http://www.powerlabs.org/gmheicslr.htm

So...what would be the point? To beat Terry's 13.25 inches spark or just see who can produce the longest spark?
dan
Sun Mar 05 2006, 09:42PM
dan Registered Member #223 Joined: Mon Feb 20 2006, 06:42PM
No this contest is not related to GMHEICSLR in any way.. Terry's contest limited the participant to use only GM HE coils.. This contest is open to any type/manufacter of ignition coil to produce the maxiumum spark possible. The contest has been divided up into sub divisions of each type of driver. Obviously a single transistor/ossilator driver would not stand a chance agiasnt a Tesla coil type driver like Terry's.

May I ask that there be no further disscusion in this thread and only I.C. driver submittions. If you have any questions about the contest send me a private message. If I get the question a lot I will revise the orginal post to include a FAQ..

I.C. Driver Entry:

Type: Single transistor/oscillator circuit.
Voltage Input: 12v form PC PSU.

This is an old ignition coil I got from my Transportation technologies class. (auto)

This is a simple 555 ignition coil driver with horizontal deflection transistors removed from an old monitor.
Ruler picture showing this distance between HV out and ground electrodes. the picture is very fuzzy but I drew in lines to help identify the markings.
Overview of the setup.
Video of Sparks with an electrode spacing of 2 1/8''.
Video of Sparks with an electrode spacing of 2 1/4'' . This seems to be the max and I only get sparks this big if I interrupt the power to the oscillator circuit very quickly. This can be seen by me pushing the wire in/out of the +5v rail on the bread board.
New picture This is a new picture to comply with rule number 8 that was just added. The spark length is 2 inches between 2 canadian quarters.
Simplified schematic

The values for the 555 astable oscillator are:
R1 = 1kohms
R2 = 50kohms
C = 0.1uf
Frequency ~142 hertz with close to 50% duty cycle.

Not bad for 12v input.
vasil
Sun Mar 05 2006, 09:57PM
To eliminate any suspicion, I propose to use a coin (1 euro, 25 US cents), attached to one of the electrodes for the right spark measurement. In this case, the spark can be approximated directly from the movie/picture.
ragnar
Mon Mar 06 2006, 02:05AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
You guys will have to make do with a pic. Yes, it used two coils, No, there's no ruler present, but I casually claim at least six inches at the top of that long blue one =)

have fun, guys :P
1141610721 63 FT3205 500warc3
vasil
Mon Mar 06 2006, 01:59PM
Blackplasma, the old records are made to be beaten.
Lets encourage Dan and the other guys who will participape at this contest!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: