Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
mileswaldron (59)

Next birthdays
06/04 muze801 (33)
06/05 HVgeek (33)
06/05 jmorlockny (50)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

555 Timer Calculator Program

Move Thread LAN_403
Plasmaarc452
Wed Sept 03 2008, 07:39PM Print
Plasmaarc452 Registered Member #1394 Joined: Sun Mar 16 2008, 06:18PM
I am taking a programming class right now and as a project I am going to make a 555 timer calculator program but I am wondering if you guys would want this program.

It will be a completely visual GUI user friendly program.

There will be two variants one for monostable and one for astable operation.

It will ask for the values of the 2 resistors and the capacitor in the monostable variant.

It will be able to calculate frequency, duty cycle, output pulse duration in milliseconds up to hours, and the timing cycle in milliseconds to hours.

__________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I also plan on making a separate program that will have you enter the frequency, duty cycle. output pulse duration, and timing cycle into the computer. The computer will then tell you what values you need for the resistors and the capacitor.
_______________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

These two programs should save a lot of time and I can see a lot of utility for them.

It will take a while for me to build this program! Weekends only so it might take around 2 to 4 weeks but the worst case scenario is that I get it done around Thanksgiving.

Tell me what you think!

flannelhead
Thu Sept 04 2008, 11:56AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
That's actually a very nice programming project and you'll learn some useful things when programming it.

Hate to spoil your fun though: there are many already. A Google search for a "555 timer calculator" will return many JavaScript-based easy-to-use programs.

Still, just go on to your project! It's a great way to learn some basic GUI things.

Plasmaarc452 wrote ...

I also plan on making a separate program that will have you enter the frequency, duty cycle. output pulse duration, and timing cycle into the computer. The computer will then tell you what values you need for the resistors and the capacitor.
That would be even more useful than the usual JavaScript based calculators. I'm very interested!
Plasmaarc452
Thu Sept 04 2008, 08:32PM
I didn't realize that there were already calculators out there but it would be cool to have an app that you can just click on and have it open up vs having to go to a website.

So now I am going to work on the 2nd program that calculates the resistor and capacitor values. I see more use for this because most of the time you have a specific frequency that you need and duty cycle but you need to know the values of the resistors and capacitors to achieve that. I will probably release a beta version next week. It might have bugs in it so if there are bugs you can pm me email me and make a post about it.
Steve Conner
Fri Sept 05 2008, 09:46AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I think it's a great idea, but I've always just used Excel.
BSVi
Fri Sept 05 2008, 09:49AM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
And would be cool to have mouse interface for dead-time. Calculator recalculates values in real-time when you draging edges of signal. That would be cool )
Plasmaarc452
Sun Sept 07 2008, 04:19PM
I know that excel can do this but having a "Stand Alone" program that does it all is better in my opinion because you don't have to set up the spreadsheet and everything in excel.

Sorry but I can't program it till next weekend this weekend I made a gear calculator program which took up a lot of time.

Here is the gear calculator program

Link2

if it won't run because of missing dll's then you need to download this

Link2

Its a simple program but it took up a while of time to find the correct way to calculate everything.

The program does not do correct calculations for a speed reduction but everything else works good.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: