Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

The New Ubuntu

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Munkey
Wed May 14 2008, 03:39PM
Munkey Registered Member #588 Joined: Sat Mar 17 2007, 11:06AM
Ubuntu is fine, but not if you are actually planning on using it.

like, I downloaded this exe file and it just would not run it. Hey, lets make everything really hard.

And no, I'm not a Linux fan...
Lakeowner
Wed May 14 2008, 06:59PM
Lakeowner Registered Member #1370 Joined: Mon Mar 03 2008, 09:01AM
Munkey wrote ...

like, I downloaded this exe file and it just would not run it. Hey, lets make everything really hard.

And why could it not work directly? Windows and Linux are not exactly the same operating systems. They have different ways to do things out. Even binary executable file format differs, because Windows and Linux don't load programs to memory by the same way. For example window management: Windows has these lovely WINDOWSAPICLASSHDCTESLACOILWINDOWHWND_EXT-classes in WinAPI. Linux leaves dirty work for window manager, X11 for example. There is absolute no way to get Windows EXEs work in Linux directly; how could your little penguin find Windows' functions, that the program requests?

Still there is some hope. Wine and Cedega and few others offer a chance to run Windows programs in Linux and Mac OS. Virtual machines also provide this feature by running whole Windows (or other OS) on your hardware-running Linux (or on other).

Windows installing on linux: Link2
Munkey
Wed May 14 2008, 08:53PM
Don't Get ya....

Laakkonen wrote ...

Well, fusing the two seems like a favorable idea. But one wonders, why bother?

Also, is there Linux's version of a exe file, something that actually runs?
Dago
Thu May 15 2008, 08:39AM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
Munkey wrote ...

You obviously need to get more informed about your linux system. Saying the your ubuntu wouldnt just run an exe file is kinda like saying your gasoline car wouldnt run on diesel. Or that your CD-drive couldnt read your old LPs. They are two completely different systems.

It is possible to run windows programs on linux but it requires the use of wine, vmware or some other programs that "emulate" (I know wine is not an emulator but thats the simplest way to put it) a windows environment. But even this way all windows programs will not run on linux and if the program is supposed to do something with your hardware then its very likely it will not work. You need to use linux programs in a linux operating system.

Its not easy to switch from windows to linux because they way they work is so different, but when you manage to get enough experience to efficiently use linux it is a godsend. You CANT do everything in linux because theres just not enough software (especially large specialized software suites like solidworks or pretty much any CAD program) but what you can do you can usually do alot more efficiently than in windows. Plus the stability of the system is from another world compared to windows. You just gotta learn to use the terminal efficiently and know your system, like learning to ride a bike.
Munkey wrote ...

Don't Get ya....

Laakkonen wrote ...

Well, fusing the two seems like a favorable idea. But one wonders, why bother?

Also, is there Linux's version of a exe file, something that actually runs?

In linux there are binary formats like .exe for windows but usually almost ALL programs are installed through your distros package manager and in ubuntu and other debian based distros it is called "apt" (which is a program that you use in the terminal). Apt has several graphical frontends and in ubuntu you'll probaply want to use synaptic which you can find from system -> administration -> synaptic package manager. And let me repeat and make myself clear, if you want to install pretty much ANY program, you open up synaptic and search for it and install it from there, you DONT go and google for the program and download an installation package. This is one of the great sides of linux, the distro has a HUGE selection prepackaged programs you can just install through the package manager.

Sometimes there are programs you cant find from the package manager, then the primary way to get it installed is to google and try to find a prepackaged .deb package which is a package containing all the stuff the program needs to run and click it (when gdebi package installer opens) or install it from the terminal with dpkg. The gdebi/dpkg will tell you if the "dependencies" (which means all the other software the program NEEDS to be installed) are met or if you are missing something.

If you cant find a .deb package either then you can try to compile and install the program from the sourcecode but its not very recommended because if you compile it from sourcecode it wont appear in your package manager so you cant remove it as easily, you have to use the programs own uninstall functions if it even has any. When compiling from sourcecode you have to take care of the dependencies yourself aswell. The preferred method for compiling from sourcecode is to compile it to a .deb package you can easily install and remove.

But the main thing when trying to find/install a program you want to do something is to GOOGLE. If you want to say... use expresspcb to draw a layout for your circuit x, dont try to desperately find a linux version of expresspcb (because there isnt any) or try to get it working in wine (I have no experience in getting expresspcb to work in wine, it could work without a hitch), you have to try to find a similar program that does have a linux version, in this case eagle has a linux version that you can draw pcb layouts with in linux and you can get it from your package manager (after you enable the 3rd party repositories in synaptic).
Steve Conner
Thu May 15 2008, 09:23AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Macs don't have exe files either, so meh.

In fact, the Windows practice of identifying files by their extensions is rather quaint. If you rename foo.exe to foo.pdf on a Windows machine, the system will try to open it in Acrobat Reader instead of running it.

I develop for TI DSPs and XScales at work, on an Intel machine running XP, and the DSP and XScale compilers both spit out files with a .exe extension. Double-clicking these on the Windows desktop will make Windows try to run them and fail miserably. I'm just expected to remember which of the three possible target processors the files are intended for ill

Executable files do exist on Mac and Linux, of course, otherwise the computers wouldn't do anything when you turned them on in the morning. But they're called "binaries" and don't have a name that ends in .exe. They usually don't have any extension at all, and a flag in the file attributes marks them as executable.

For everything else, what Dago said. I have both Ubuntu and XP at home. They're both fun to play with in different ways.
Alex
Thu May 15 2008, 11:13PM
Alex Geometrically Frustrated
Registered Member #6 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 04:18AM
Munkey wrote ...

Just a heads up:
You may find that such aversion to learning isn't very welcome here.
Munkey
Fri May 16 2008, 05:23PM
Alex wrote ...

You may find that such aversion to learning isn't very welcome here.

Dr. 2N3055 wrote ...

...and opinions here.
Its just my opinion wink
flannelhead
Sun May 18 2008, 07:06AM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
There's also one thing that scares n00bs in Ubuntu: its default look. I doubt there are many people who like the default theme. Well, there's also a solution.
Dago
Sun May 18 2008, 10:56AM
Dago Registered Member #538 Joined: Sun Feb 18 2007, 08:33PM
Dr. 2N3055 wrote ...

There's also one thing that scares n00bs in Ubuntu: its default look. I doubt there are many people who like the default theme. Well, there's also a solution.

The first thing I usually do with my Ubuntu installs is to install the ubuntustudio look from the repositories which turn the look a dark grey one which I really like: Link2
flannelhead
Sun May 18 2008, 12:29PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
Wow, nice! I'll have to try that out. What's that Mac-style dock in the pic? I haven't got a single dock app running reliably.

The fullscreen game problem which I mentioned earlier in this thread was caused by compiz. So it would be good to make a separate user account for gaming etc. which doesn't have compiz enabled.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: