Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Achtung! Das memorykarden ist ein counterfeitscamen! (Fake SD cards!)

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun May 20 2007, 11:17PM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi.
Grr. I got sold a load of utter shite on Ebay. Behold.

Link2

I mean, what is it with these people. Do they think I won't notice? Grr.

1179703065 96 FT0 Fraud
Mon May 21 2007, 12:33AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I have been bitten by the ebay mem stick scam twice actually (the only 2 I have that were bought on ebay) the first one was a sony 'memory stick' that was actually a 8Gb (1GiB) chip, reformatted to 4gb, I sent the seller a pretty stern message and shortly thereafter my $100 came back.

The other one my dad bought, which was a 2GB SD card reformatted to 4GB, which worked reasonably well (it was cheaper than a 2gb card, and and my ipaq wouldn't put >2gb of data on it anyway) until the plastic casing started to fall apart and the little read/write tab fell out, which rendered it useless. Since my dad didn't want to deal with it ($40 is worth about an hour to him...) I popped it open and while there were pads for the second chip, it ony had a single 16Gb chip.

Likewise, I don't buy memory off ebay anymore. I have also decided to stop buying laser pointers off ebay as well, due to the HUGE variability in performance I have seen--anywhere from ones that work well above speck, putting out >10mw at 250ma and not rolling over till about 50mw, others that come modded (you can see where they soldered another resistor in parallel with ones on the board) to run the diode at 500ma that only put out 1mw, from the same seller....
ragnar
Mon May 21 2007, 03:14AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Andre, wow! That's absolutely horrendous! Amazing, too!

Do you really think what's under the blob is responsible? Can you tell its country of origin? :P

Good luck pursuing it through eBay.
Mon May 21 2007, 05:54AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I have always wondered what is under the 'blob', my best guess is some type of PIC micro controller (although there is no oscilators on the board...) or something of that nature....I have been considering blasting the one on my 2gb card under my YAG laser for a while, see how it takes it..

but the size difference comes from how the file system is formatted, it is a purely software change that those little kids in China due... 1. buy 1gb card 2. drop in usb adapter & reformat, 3. slap on a new sticker, 4. ??? 5. profit
Ken M.
Mon May 21 2007, 05:37PM
Ken M. Registered Member #618 Joined: Sat Mar 31 2007, 04:15AM
Ah but Pic's some of the new and most of the more powerful 1's have an internal RC (I believe) oscilatior, If i can find I'll post some Spec sheets, Cuz I love Pic's softwares a bit expensive, BUT! For the most part Picbasic and picbasic pro are the 2 fastest pic programmers out there, I'll find the Nuts and Volts issue that had the article in it, plus Pics are easy to program especially in basic cheesey! Will find the info here in a day or two.
Conundrum
Mon May 21 2007, 08:34PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hmm. The seller wants me to send them back for a full refund but I am holding out for the refund *first*. I am not going to risk losing evidence.

I might see if Trading Standards want a look at the card I opened, and take the £9 or so hit. OTOH does anyone want the card to play with? :)

Regards, -A
Carbon_Rod
Fri May 25 2007, 09:19AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Yeah, e-bay is famous for this... especially with electronics...

Run HP drive format tool, U3 uninstaller, or Under linux mount /dev/sda then run partition tool of choice.

Funny trick I remember from a few years back using debug..

I now have a few 4GB floppies to sell..... ;oD ROTFL.....

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: