Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Fresh install on a foreign laptop

Move Thread LAN_403
ragnar
Sun May 06 2007, 05:06AM Print
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
Hi all,
My Japanese roommate has an NEC Lavie LL730/7D laptop computer. The Lavie series of laptops is distributed only in Japan, and has support for its Japanese keyboard, etc.

She had some nasty spyware, viruses that copied some "boot.exe" to every floppy ever inserted into the computer, and, eww in general. The only solution seemed to be a fresh start; everything was running FAR too slow either way.

I've repartitioned and installed windows XP pro, but I'm having severe difficulties getting any network card and video card drivers to work. In device manager, the network card appears as "Ethernet Controller". I've tried the Realtek/8139 PCI drivers on it, and they don't work.

I know the video card inside is a Radeon something-or-other, but that's all. I've tried the Radeon auto-detect (presumably only for AGP cards) install, and it can't find compatible drivers. I can't download the Radeon Mobility drivers, because they require that the laptop connect itself to the net and prove to Radeon that it actually has Mobility hardware. (I presume they don't want people to accidentally download Mobility drivers if they're not going to work).

After spending half a day on it... I'm a bit stumped. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can squeeze the darn hardware brand/model numbers out of it? Will I end up having to open it up and look at the chips themselves?

Matt
Sun May 06 2007, 05:36AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
you could probably throw in a linux livecd and look at what gets initialized... Just boot and run like lspci to see what is on the pci buss (should get you the goodies like USB, audio, and network) and to see what it is doing video wise try dmesg to see what it found as it booted ('dmesg | grep radeon' should cut down on the clutter...)
Steve Conner
Sun May 06 2007, 09:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I had a similar problem with an old Mitac P4 laptop. I did in fact use a Linux livecd to ID the hardware, and it said it was a Radeon Mobility M2 or something. I eventually managed to find an oldish Radeon Mobility driver for a NEC laptop that worked fine. I can't remember where I got it, but I may have a copy of it lying around.
ragnar
Thu May 10 2007, 03:28AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I was able to use utilities from the "Ultimate Boot CD" to sniff the PCI bus.

Windows XP was able to get the sound card working by itself,
the obscure radeon mobility works now with hacked Omega drivers,
after determining the network card was an intel 82551, drivers for that worked.

The laptop has a built in SD card / memory-stick reader. These identify as:
"Ricoh SD Bus Host Adapter" and "Ricoh Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter"

I've found about five different sets of drivers for these, and NONE of them work.
I do have XP Pro. SP2 installed.

Now I'm stumped again. Any ideas?
(The SD-card reader is the only way her camera can interface with her computer)

Thu May 10 2007, 03:56AM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
PCMIA SD card reader tongue

In any case, from what I can tell from the ricoh site the R5C822 (I am pretty sure that is the one you have) is supported by winxp on its own...
Are you sure that it didn't get disabled in the bios or something stupid like that?

I really don't know what else to say, I managed to find that an inspiron 9200 uses the rc5c822, and then I checked the drivers/downloads part of dell, and the all they had was a sdio driver that should have been supported by XPSP2 Link2
(I am trying to get some i2c to work over here, and any excuse to stop thinking about it is good enough for me)

I suppose the next step would be to open it up and see what the number on the chip is...

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: