Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

$100 dollar laptop (now $188)

first  2 3 4 5 
Move Thread LAN_403
thedatastream
Wed Jan 10 2007, 11:26AM
thedatastream Registered Member #505 Joined: Sun Nov 19 2006, 06:42PM
It's going to be available for sale to the public too - however, you have to buy two, with one going to the developing world )from BBC News)

This is quite a good way to persuade people to buy one for fiddling with whilst another one gets sent to the developing world - an almost ethical compulsive technology purchase!

James

Bjørn
Wed Jan 10 2007, 02:41PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
What else is there. Or maybe they should use some imbedded type stuff like Freescale semi type thing.
SPARC, MIPS, ARM and about 5 more are more power efficient for a lower price. They are also are suitable for integrating everything on a single chip to halve the price and reduce the power consumption.

I agree with the Linux, It's free, you can't beat that.
The logic is not good, we are talking about one hundred million to a billion computers. Using a bad choice because it is cheap and will attract hordes of mediocre programmers means that the computer is more expensive since it needs more powerful hardware and hundreds of millions of users will pay extra every minute they use the thing.

In this application the only valid reason for not making the computer more efficient would be "We don't know how and spending $100 000 000 to $5 000 000 000 does not help." The money would come from the $1 to $5 saved on the hardware in each computer. For the reasons that Steve mentioned I am sure they did not even consider it, after all it is about making money, not making a good product.

Another thing is Linux can be scaled up or down to accomadate pretty much any hardware out there.
That it uses two minutes to boot on something that would be considered a supercomputer a couple of decades ago shows that it does not scale down well at all for this kind of application.

It's going to be available for sale to the public too - however, you have to buy two, with one going to the developing world )
Since the price is $150 then it would be $300 + $50 in handling. Not a very cheap laptop, but if it is as rugged as they claim it might still be very good value for money for some users.
Carbon_Rod
Thu Jan 11 2007, 01:39AM
Carbon_Rod Registered Member #65 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:43AM
Ah yeah.... linux has been clocked at 200ms boot up to application launch. ( Link2 )

And there are people who have replaced most of a normal system bios with a live kernel. Hence it could out-clock even dos. ( Link2 )

The trouble is with people who don't understand operating systems and platform specific optimizations. Or use the default bloated monolithic Redhat kernel as a benchmark.

xwindows was a bit of a curse for linux. There were gui's that could fit in under a 2.8MB footprint, but lacked numerous things like compatible applications.
thedatastream
Sun Jan 14 2007, 10:46AM
thedatastream wrote ...

It's going to be available for sale to the public too - however, you have to buy two, with one going to the developing world (from BBC News)
Or not, as the case may be - Link2

They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't make it available to the public because
  • They miss the chance to give a laptop to a developing country with no cost to the country or recipient
  • If people in the developed world bought them, then the volumes would increase and overall price of parts would come down

Rather short sighted IMO

James
Steve Conner
Sun Jan 14 2007, 12:51PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Bummer! I know a guy who would buy them by the dozen for industrial datalogging projects. sad
Bjørn
Fri Jan 19 2007, 08:21AM
It turns out the true price including the extras is $208, that combined with the fact that they really are pushing it as a toy and not as a useful tool makes me believe in Steve's most cynical suspicions.
ragnar
Fri Jan 19 2007, 09:24AM
ragnar Registered Member #63 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 06:18AM
I don't think I'm the guy Steve knows, but I'd consider buying several for running half the CNC machines in my workshop here... it sucks having to dedicate a PC to each of them, but I can't find enough reliable 486s with parallel ports by the side of the road. Hell, they only need to run DOS 6.22...

Very, very shortsighted. Pushovers.
AndrewM
Fri Jan 19 2007, 05:42PM
AndrewM Registered Member #49 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:05AM
balsamplack wrote ...

I don't think I'm the guy Steve knows, but I'd consider buying several for running half the CNC machines in my workshop here... it sucks having to dedicate a PC to each of them, but I can't find enough reliable 486s with parallel ports by the side of the road. Hell, they only need to run DOS 6.22...

Now theres an idea, I've been trying to find a good cheap way to do the same for a while. I tried running TurboCNC on a DTR-1 , which would have been very sexy, but without a math coprocessor it was....... slow.
Bjørn
Sat May 19 2007, 03:47AM
Nicholas Negroponte, former director of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Lab now head of the nonprofit One Laptop Per Child project, gave analysts and journalists an update on the OLPC project. Two big changes were announced - the $100 OLPC is now the $175 OLPC, and it will be able to run Windows.

Through the Partners in Learning program, Microsoft today announced the Microsoft Student Innovation Suite, an affordable and reliable software package for governments purchasing and giving Windows®-based PCs to primary and secondary students for their personal use at home and for schoolwork. The education suite includes Windows XP Starter Edition, Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007, Microsoft Math 3.0, Learning Essentials 2.0 for Microsoft Office, and Windows Live™ Mail desktop.

Microsoft will offer this suite in the second half of 2007 for $3

I don't think the two are directly related but the whole OLPC project smells fishy.
thedatastream
Mon Sept 24 2007, 08:19PM
Looks like they've had a change of mind, sounds like lack of specific orders has caused this. Story from BBC News Link2
first  2 3 4 5 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: