Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Running new OSs on old hardware

Move Thread LAN_403
Simon
Tue Dec 26 2006, 02:43AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

PS: I'm very impressed that people are still using PIIs and 486s, that's thrifty :-o
It's fun because you can do whatever you want with one, without fear about how expensive it will be to replace.

Also, if you keep the bloatware away and don't use them for watching DVDs, they're fine. An efficiently run PII runs better than the typical latest and greatest.
Steve Conner
Tue Dec 26 2006, 11:54AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Yes, bloatware is such a curse! If you've got any tips on managing it, I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested. I thought I had it under control, but I've not got to the stage where I can get a 486 to do anything useful suprised My strategy is to keep a few old boxen around to install stuff on that I want to try out, so I can keep my new machine clean and bloat-free.

You are right about the latest and greatest thing. My new box is a 3GHz P4 with 2GB of ram and dual 200GB SATA drives, yet it doesn't really feel any faster than my old 733MHz P3. Well, until I start editing big digital audio files. It can do jobs in 2 seconds that took about 2 minutes on the old box, probably because it has so much RAM that it can operate on the whole file in memory. I guess there's more to computer "fastness" than just a couple of numbers.
Bjørn
Tue Dec 26 2006, 12:52PM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
I have several PCs from a 486 with Windows 95 to a P4 with Windows XP, they all boot in the same amount of time give or take a couple of seconds even if the fastest machine is 300 times faster than the slowest one. One of them runs FreeBSD and it is quite sluggish.

My old Acorn A5000 with a 25 MHz CPU and 4MB RAM boots to the GUI in 2 seconds so progress has been fairly steady in the wrong direction.

RAM on a P4 machine is usually is a lot faster than on P3 machines. My previous P3 computer did 2-300MB/s, my P4 does 2GB/s so that accounts for a lot of the speed difference.
Nucleophobe
Thu Dec 28 2006, 03:51PM
Nucleophobe Registered Member #108 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 11:44PM
I've had windows xp on an old 266mhz lappy with 96mb ram for a long time. It runs fine, actually. I used nLite to slim down the install; its a great utility to eliminate bloat.
Thu Dec 28 2006, 05:06PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
This is sorta pushing it, but it is a new os (2.6.15-hh2 kernel with an Opie GUI) on a sorta-old piece of hardware (released july-04), but it still has similar specs of most of your old machines. She is running an Intel pxa270 624mhz processor, 64 MB Mobile SDRAM, TNETW1100B (aka acx100) wlan chipset, BRF6150 bluetooth chipset, 4" 480x640 display with a ATI Mobileon W3220 graphics chipset, and a 1.8a/hr battery tongue The bulk of the storage is a 128mb cf card because it won't read my 4gb sd card, but once I get that sorted (either by getting a 2gb one or finding a kernel patch) it will have a cf->usb host card so that I can connect a mouse/keyboard/hdd/printer/whatever.

It runs pretty fast, for an embedded computer, but browsing the net is slow. Like loading a page on this forum takes at least 30 seconds. I am not sure why, any ideas? The first thing I thought was that the ram was to slow, but looking around it looks like similar ram has read times in the 10ns range, so it seems like that shouldn't be the bottleneck...
Simon
Thu Dec 28 2006, 11:35PM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
wrote ...

My old Acorn A5000 with a 25 MHz CPU and 4MB RAM boots to the GUI in 2 seconds so progress has been fairly steady in the wrong direction.
That's exactly how I feel about computers.

wrote ...

Yes, bloatware is such a curse! If you've got any tips on managing it, I'm sure a lot of folks would be interested.
I'm not sure I'm doing so well against the tide but I'm glad to share a few of my favourites.

For video editing/conversion/etc: VirtualDubMod. It takes a little getting used to (kind of like a typical nix program) but is powerful and slim. It has a range of filters but unfortunately it mysteriously lacks a couple like fade in and fade out. Still one of my favourite non-bloats.

For audio editing/mixing/etc: CoolEdit 95. This has pretty much everything you really need. For converting audio, use sox. (The latest versions of sox work with lame and mad for mp3.)

For images: Paint Shop Pro 4. Those of you familiar with the modern versions of this will find it hopelessly inadequate but for typical photo/image editing it's powerful.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: