ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

High current 120v breakers ....

Move Thread LAN_403
Vigh holtage
Thu Dec 28 2017, 02:59PM Print
Vigh holtage Registered Member #61739 Joined: Wed Aug 23 2017, 04:43PM
Ok i have a 30 amp 120 volt breaker now installed and wired to a steel outlet 3 feet from the breaker box....

The outlet is wired with 10awg thhn wire to the breaker box.

My question is , can i use a 20 amp receptical like this ...

1514473150 61739 FT0 20171228 055703
Vigh holtage
Thu Dec 28 2017, 03:05PM
Will it hold up ?

Or do i need to swap to a nema L5-30 twist lock like generators have ?

My plan is to run 25 feet of 10-3 awg power wire to my 3 kva variac to power transformer banks and sutch ...

I was having srs voltage drop issues and extention cord heating with a standard receptical.

Ohh and when i changed the outlet to the new 20amp one in the pic i saw that the old one had 2 white wires and no ground and bolth white wires were only 14-16 awg , that issue was fixed ... i pulled the wireing and breaker and replaced it with 30a 120 v breaker and 10awg wire, however that receptical is only 20 amp rated.

Will 10-3 power cord for a generator be good for 25 feet @ 120v 30amp without voltage drop ???

Patrick
Thu Dec 28 2017, 05:46PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Generally you'd want 240 vac, that'll cut your drop by half.
klugesmith
Thu Dec 28 2017, 09:25PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
>> Will 10-3 power cord for a generator be good for 25 feet @ 120v 30amp without voltage drop ???

Duh, work it out from scratch. Or use one of many online calculators. At 30 amps your voltage drop would be less than 1.5%.

>>Generally you'd want 240 vac, that'll cut your drop by half.

Yup. If you can change the breakers and load to 240 V, the current can be halved, and the wire can be reduced by 6 AWG steps for the same percent voltage drop and same wire temperature rise. It would be more compelling if you had to run 100 feet.

>> Will it hold up ?
>> Or do i need to swap to a nema L5-30 twist lock like generators have ?

It's against code to use a 20 amp receptacle in a circuit with 30 amp breaker. In case of a fire, your insurance company would tell you to get lost.
1514496937 2099 FT179604 Nec2008

Looks like there _is_ a straight blade NEMA option for 30 amps, though I think the twist-and-lock is much more common.
1514495864 2099 FT181093 Nema

Justin
Fri Dec 29 2017, 08:53AM
Justin Registered Member #46164 Joined: Wed May 07 2014, 08:16AM
I'd get an L5-30 receptacle, or a L6-30 receptacle if you want 240 w/o neutral.
Vigh holtage
Fri Dec 29 2017, 11:55AM
I can run 240 but i would need to strip down the entire finished product and restart from scratch,

Right now it is a 3kva 30amp continuos dutie variac and then a 3kva 120 to 120/240 isolation transformer tottaly enclosed with switches to select output voltage range

I would have to start over and install 240 30a breakers then still buy new recepticals and plugs then run the isolation transformer in reverse and loose the ability to select taps as it would be a 240/120 to 120 step down , then the variac and then all my meters and a new box and filtering, after i would be useing a 240 outlet but still only getting 120v at 30 amps

A 2 gang 240 or supper beefy 240 variac is tottaly beond my walet ! The big ole 30 a 120 v i got in broken condition , the case and wireing was jacked up but is is in good condition for verry cheap soo ...

This is why i was asking the best way to reduce the drop from a 120 high current breaker.

Seems my best option is to change out to nema L5-30 outlet and twist lock recptical plugs then make a 25 ft 10-3 or better extention cord to the variac
Vigh holtage
Fri Dec 29 2017, 12:05PM
In the future my ultimate goal here is installing a 30-50 amp 240 volt seperate breaker box that runs to a rotary phase converter for 3 phase power , i have a few of the componants to make it but will take me years to gather the parts ..... but the 240v high current seperate panel for my lab is my next project, then the rotary converter useing a huge 3 phase motor i have 5pluss hp !

I am stopping all projects and focusing on building a decent power system starting from the breaker box and ending at the variac out put in my lab .

For now i want to be able to pull 120v @ 30amps about 25feet without drop under load so i can step it up to 330v 7ish amp or just run it at 120 via swtched output.
klugesmith
Fri Dec 29 2017, 06:26PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
"Without drop under load" is impossible, since you can't afford a superconducting extension cord.
What your solution has is tolerable voltage drop under load. As stated above: 25 feet of 10 AWG, out and back, should lose less than 1.5%.

For cord-and-plug connected appliances, 1.5 percent is usually considered to be fine. Smaller than ordinary fluctuations in the voltage from your electricity provider. At 30 amps, you would have about 3.6 kVA going to the load, and 54 watts heating the cord & its connectors.

How soon can you connect a test load (perhaps some space heaters, toasters, or MWO's), then measure and report the actual voltage drop of your installation? It will creep up slightly as the cord gets warm.
Vigh holtage
Sun Dec 31 2017, 06:17PM
Ok i will take the advice to swap to a 240v 50a breaker and a 240 twist lock.

This way i can wire my device for 120 v and just leave one termal empty on the devices twist lock male end and still get 120v from the 240 outlet

Pluss i will be ready with 240v for later on with a 2 gang variac

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: