ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Half-Bridge Flyback Driver with Over Current Protection

Move Thread LAN_403
loneoceans
Sat Nov 18 2017, 05:48PM Print
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Hello all,

Just thought I'd share a very simple project I made recently when taking a break from building Tesla Coils. I wanted a very simple, reliable and no-frills general-purpose Flyback driver. Specifically I bought one of Fiddy's Flyback Transformers (http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?165666) some 2 years ago on this forum and have been feeling a little sad that I haven't actually driven it yet!

I decided to go for a simple half-bridge topology (i.e. so I won't be driving the flyback in 'flyback' mode). Drive logic is provided by the venerable single 555 timer IC, with adjustable frequency operation from 30kHz to 80kHz or so. I designed this circuit to be extremely simple so anyone can build their own too!

38503960431 Fa578d8dd4

Next I also wanted to make the driver as robust as possible so I added an over-current protection scheme, which is very simple. Peak current was set conservatively at 7.2A (for now) and feedback taken via a simple CT.

38503960271 A8b74cec18

I've used some nice IXYS FETs good for 250V 80A, but they're currently running at just 36V. Finally I made a PCB for it and put everything (including a 36VDC power supply) into a spare computer ATX power supply for simple plug-and-play operation.

38292871531 71d4db597e

It works! Here's it driving Fiddy's flyback and powering a miniature Jacob's Ladder. The driver work great for all other flyback transformers as well.

I suppose it's time to increase the power. Thanks for reading!
profdc9
Sun Nov 19 2017, 02:12AM
profdc9 Registered Member #58522 Joined: Tue Mar 15 2016, 08:33PM
Hello loneoceans, I have read your web page with great interest! Good work getting the half-bridge to work. I think half bridges are cool too. I wrote a guide myself on building half-bridges with circuits included:

Link2

And a spreadsheet to design them

Link2

If you build it, I highly recommend building the version that uses the gate drive transformer, it is much more forgiving.

I have used my half-bridge to drive a Tesla coil, but I have had a hard time keeping the transformer from getting fried. My transformer generates about 30 kV on the secondary and I think the spikes generated by the Tesla coil in the spark gap are very hard to filter with such a high voltage. I can draw some sizable arcs with it though.

I recommend buying these if you want to try to wind your own transformer if you order from the USA:

Link2

The Kaschke U/I set can be used in pairs so you can get a truly monster ferrite core, one that you can wind 500 turns on, which I have done, to get 30 kV running off of 120 VAC mains power.

Also, I am trying to build a dual MOT tesla coil based on your Tesla Coil 2, but using the Villard multiplier and not 4 MOTs. I noticed you had problems keeping the diodes from being fried.

I am trying something a little different. I am using 4 microwave oven diodes in series rather than 2 so that the reverse bias voltage is higher. Also, like a Terry filter, I am using 10 1800V MOVs to absorb any transients from the Tesla coil to try to protect the diodes. I also have a 1000 pF/36 kV capacitor filter with 600 ohms in series with it on each leg of the power supply.

I don't know what you have tried since you updated your page but if you could share any info that would be helpful! I am working on building my rotary gap right now using an angle grinder.

Again, cool work, and thanks for your web page!

Dan
Avalanche
Sun Nov 19 2017, 08:36AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
Nice! If you're not driving it in flyback mode, is there any benefit to removing the gap in the flyback transformer or doesn't the extra leakage inductance matter in this case?

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: