Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Home-built Computer Not Working

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Simon
Mon Aug 28 2006, 05:27AM Print
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
This isn't too much of a surprise but I need to diagnose the problem.

My parents wanted a better computer so I ordered the parts, they arrived, I spent several hours putting them together and when I turned on the power it didn't work.

The power switch has no effect. The power supply does seem to work - I unplugged it and shorted the green power-on wire to gnd and that turned it on (I didn't check the voltages).

It's a 400W PSU but in case that wasn't enough I unplugged everything that wasn't necessary so now there is just a PSU, a CPU (2.6GHz Celeron) and some RAM (512MB DDR) on a motherboard. It still doesn't work but I noticed that when I applied any mains power there is a quiet, rhythmic clicking noise that speeds up as it dies away when the mains power is disconnected. That reminds me of the buzzing other PSUs I've had make when shorted. I'm not 100% sure the sound comes from PSU since I have to stick my head in the case to hear anything.

To me it looks like a dead motherboard but I know a lot of users here have more experience with this than me so I thought I'd ask for opinions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bjørn
Mon Aug 28 2006, 06:23AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
To test the PSU you need to put a load on the 12V line and maybe on the 5V line to make it regulate properly. 5-20W, something like that. I have had the clicking a few times when the load has been too low. Usually when there is a short the PSU shuts down permanently until it is turned off and on again.

The quality of computer parts have been declining rapidly the last few years.
Avalanche
Mon Aug 28 2006, 11:14AM
Avalanche Registered Member #103 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:16PM
This might sound stupid but are you sure the case switch is connected to the correct header on the mainboard? That's the first obvious thing, secondly I would check for a faulty switch. A few weeks ago one of my old systems refused to power on, and it was just the cheapo switch failing to work. Try shorting the switch header with a jumper.
Mon Aug 28 2006, 01:25PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
The clicking sound does sound like a shorted mobo (like you probably dropped a screw under it or something) try shorting the power wire while it is connected to the mobo and see if it works. Triple check that the switch is in the right place and that it works. If that doesn't work completely strip the mobo of everything but put a voltmeter on the 12v line and power it up (with the case switch first then jumping the wires) and see if you get 12v. If still nothing then pull off the mobo to check for shorts.

The 400w psu is plenty, I have a p4 2.5ghz, gforce4, and 4 hard drives (a 40gb 7200 barracuda, a 100gb caviar, and 2 200gb 7200rpm barracudas) running off a 250w psu amazed

Do you have another psu and mobo you could try... I know that not everyone has spare computers laying around but it would be helpful if you did tongue
Electroholic
Mon Aug 28 2006, 04:56PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
first thing to check would be power to mobo.
teh 20pin atx or 24pin Eatx power.

AND i notice no one said anything about
teh 4pin Aux 12V power(since P4/about 3 years ago)

there might even be male molax on the mobo/graphix

if you are sure everythign is pluged in right, adn its still not working. rip everything out gently.

because some time if you screw the mobo too tight onto the case, you can short it.

so try build teh system on an insulated surface.

adn dont use a jumper to short the power sw pins,
instead, touch/short them with a screw driver.

edit:

oh and the clicking sound is normal,
lots of psu does that when power is removed.
Simon
Wed Aug 30 2006, 04:38AM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Bjørn Bæverfjord wrote ...

I have had the clicking a few times when the load has been too low. Usually when there is a short the PSU shuts down permanently until it is turned off and on again.

The quality of computer parts have been declining rapidly the last few years.
The clicking occurs when the PSU is simply plugged into live mains, connected to the mb. It's as if the 5V standby line is being shorted or something, if it is a problem. I'll try adding a load to the test. Thinking about it, that's a good idea.

As to the switch, that was my first thought. I checked the connections but I don't know why I didn't think of manually shorting it. I guess I'd been working a long time and was sick of it.

I was also careful about keeping screws off the board but I'll double check.

More later.
Steve Conner
Wed Aug 30 2006, 10:17AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
My work computer died one day with the same problem. The PSU just sat clicking endlessly and the power switch did nothing. Turned out to be a dead motherboard.
Nik
Wed Aug 30 2006, 06:13PM
Nik Registered Member #53 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 04:31AM
Does any one here know why a PSU clicks when it's shorted out?
Marko
Wed Aug 30 2006, 08:11PM
Marko Registered Member #89 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 02:40PM
It probably turns on andd off as the overcurrent circuit trips. Main HF transformer makes a click when it is started.

Buck converter on motherboard usually dies with mosfets shorted causing the SMPS to do this ^

I used to run many ATX SMPS's without any dummy load and they always worked fine 'on air', no regulation problems or anything..
Steve Conner
Wed Aug 30 2006, 10:26PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Like Firkragg says (and he's probably right, those MOSFETs lead a hard life cranking out ~70A with no heatsinks) it's the overcurrent protection. The PS tries to fire up, and if it detects overcurrent, it aborts and then tries to start again after about a second. And so on. The SMPS weenie technical term for it is "Hiccup mode". Not all SMPS do it, some just limit their output current like old-fashioned linear PSs, and sometimes when you hit this limit the PS makes a nasty squawking or frying sound. I once modified a SMPS to have a "proper" constant current output without any comedy sound effects, for charging batteries.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: