Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
05/14 Justin (2024)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Yay, I got a RPi

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Thu Sept 13 2012, 07:47AM Print
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Hi all.
Managed to get one on loan, seems that they are fiddlier to get working than first thought.

Its loaned on the understanding that if I break it irreversibly, I replace it.
With that out of the way..
Anyone have any good project ideas?
I thought about using my broken portable DVD (composite hack) as a screen, mounting the RPi in an external case or internally, then putting a little hard drive say 500GB with external hub, BT mouse and keyboard and making a portable Linux/hacking/etc machine that can also be used as a nuke-proof wireless multimeter smile

Shame no-one has yet written an LCD library for the Pi that can drive screens other than the stock HDMI and DVID enabled panels, as there are many many low end screens available for not much these days.

I was thinking about using an external e2prom with my custom code so it can be switched into HDMI or VGA mode.

-A
Ash Small
Thu Sept 13 2012, 08:14AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
There is an article about using a Kindle as a display on todays RPi blog:

Link2

I can't read it as the server is currently jammed, but it looks like they are using USB for driving the display.

I thougt of using a digital photo frame with USB as a dsplay, but I've no idea what's involved.
Conundrum
Thu Sept 13 2012, 09:49AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Heh.
Shame you can't get standalone e-ink screens with little heater sheets embedded in them, even if that increases the power draw it should be fine for most applications.

I believe that this particular technique has been patented by Sony or E-ink corporation but hasn't been implemented because LCD screens can be used with passive backlighting instead.

EDIT:- retrofitting it into a broken portable DVD player is also feasible.
EDIT 2:- If you don't mind the lousy resolution, it seems that Cleartype isn't enabled.
Someone should do a port, that would be awesome to see working as any old cheap display could then be used.

I still have those broken 320*240 video glasses with 1 good screen per pair but the only problem is that corrosion on the LHS PCB has done in the interconnect pads.
I've done some surgery on the not so dead unit but it seems that it isn't quite as simple as bypassing the defunct cable.
Has anyone else ever run into this fault as it seems a shame to bin them when they did previously work..
Symptoms were failure to turn on unless connector was wiggled in just the right way, followed by total failure.

I have confirmed by measurement that both displays still have firm grounds, so hopefully even if the Vcc is "zorched" it can be worked around by internally pulling up all signal lines and backfeeding Vcc from them.
Have display pinouts and specs so worst case a breakout board could be a way to get them going again without the problematic PCBs, displays need approx 3.3V and -10V so the lack of -10 could explain my problems.

It runs off 9V internally so a simple regulator should be fine..
Run an MC1377 as VGA to CVBS converter with memory chip set to VGA 50Hz then use the screen etc.

Another worthwhile hack is that some stereo Bluetooth adaptors have an internal unused serial port on the motherboard with RTS. CTS, RXD and TXD.

Worst case scenario if the Myvu's are toast is to use something like a Nintendo DSi bottom screen, these are 160*120 so not totally useless and easy to get hold of used.
There are any number of small screens used in broken camcorders etc but most are 160*120 16 colour.

EDIT:- Found one with a bad battery, so may yet be able to Eyeborg my Pi.
Also the 512MB version is now shipping, it seems that to add the extra RAM is a simple swap on the POP (package on package) chip which could theoretically be done on partially assembled units.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: