ramses (16)
Arcstarter (31)
Zak (15)

Next birthdays
05/12 Colin 99 (53)
05/14 hvguy (41)
05/14 thehappyelectron (14)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

i want to learn programing

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
brandon3055
Sun May 27 2012, 07:50AM Print
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
(it there is already a detailed thread on this topic please just direct me there I couldn't find one)

Hi all I would really like to learn how to program and use microcontrollers and maybe arduino but i have never ever programmed anything and I wouldn't now where to start
Most of the tutorials I have found need you to at least have a basic understanding of how it works which i don't so if anyone can knows of a basic tutorial that can help me that would be graight I don't even now what software and hardware I need besides the microcontroller itself:
Pinky's Brain
Sun May 27 2012, 10:46AM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
Programming is a mode of thought ... trying to acquire it while at the same time learning the intricacies of assembly or low level C is not necessarily the best idea (although it has certainly worked well enough for lots of people).

You could try the MIT open course ware and the associated books :
Link2

A link discussing this and some other resources (the link in it for the above course is a slightly older one BTW) :
Link2

Although mostly irrelevant to microcontrollers python is a handy language to know, was the first language I ever wrote anything substantial in ... also it's mostly imperative which 1) maps better to microcontroller programming and 2) is less likely to turn you off programming for life than an introductory course using functional programming (despite what all the functional programming enthusiasts say, a useful mode of programming it may be ... one which comes easily to a lot of people it's not).
brandon3055
Sun May 27 2012, 01:23PM
brandon3055 Registered Member #4548 Joined: Mon Apr 23 2012, 03:52AM
any advice for getting started on arduino i was thinking of getting started there because my local electronics store sells the eleven board at a resonable price how hard would it be to learn the programing language for arduino?
Pinky's Brain
Sun May 27 2012, 02:00PM
Pinky's Brain Registered Member #2901 Joined: Thu Jun 03 2010, 01:25PM
I had advice you chose not to follow it :) As for doing it the hard way ... at the very least just read an introductory C book so you grok things like control structures, arrays etc first.

Link2

Even if following a course is too much of a mountain to climb, a bit of reading is going to be necessary :p After that just get an arduino, use a tutorial to get a LED flashing program to run on it and move on from there.
Chip Fixes
Mon May 28 2012, 11:08PM
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
I would recommend taking a look here: Link2 This guy has playlists of videos having to do with many different languages including Python, they're in-depth and aren't boring
Ben Solon
Wed Jun 27 2012, 05:16PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
I agree. Knowing the structure of the language is the key to starting programming. If you can think in c, you can program in c. I would say read up on basic control loops, data types, etc. but also get an arduino. It's a great stepping stone into the hardcore barebones avr stuff. Plus it's a way to get a feel for what you read.

It's extremely easy to set up any arduino with the exception of the UNO an any other that uses the atmega8ul as the USB interface, and they ably require you browse to the location of the setup file.

They come preloaded with a blink program, and you can go through all the sample programs, open one, press upload and done. Plus the example programs are there to demonstrate how to use the IDE and uC c in the first place.
Ash Small
Wed Jun 27 2012, 05:55PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
You may want to consider the Raspberry Pi:

Link2

It was designed as an aid to learning programming.

It will run Python, which Pinky has already reccomended, and will also do a lot of other stuff.

The Raspberry Pi forums will also provide you with all the support you require, as well as all sorts of downloads, apps, etc.

There is already a thread here regarding them titled 'Good God'.
Ben Solon
Wed Jun 27 2012, 06:59PM
Ben Solon Registered Member #3900 Joined: Thu May 19 2011, 08:28PM
Personally, I don't like python. I know people who swear by it, and I know that it can be extremely usefull, but I absulutly hate white space. Its layout is like basic which I also hate wink. I wish I had a pi, but I don't recommend python just a personal opinion.

Plus, as I am aware they are still in such high demand that they are constantly in back order...
Ash Small
Wed Jun 27 2012, 08:13PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
ben123324 wrote ...

Personally, I don't like python. I know people who swear by it, and I know that it can be extremely usefull, but I absulutly hate white space. Its layout is like basic which I also hate wink. I wish I had a pi, but I don't recommend python just a personal opinion.

Plus, as I am aware they are still in such high demand that they are constantly in back order...

The Pi runs other programming languages as well. It's worth checking out the forums, etc.

They are still on back order. Mine should arrive in the next couple of weeks I hope. They are now available on Ebay, but at a premium.
Tetris
Wed Jun 27 2012, 09:04PM
Tetris Registered Member #4016 Joined: Thu Jul 21 2011, 01:52AM
For my B'day i asked for the Arduino and the Make Magazine arduino book. Make Magazine has EXTREMELY good books. I got their "Beginning Electronics" book and it was very detailed, and you'd go from not knowing what voltage was to programming PICs. So I suggest getting Make's book if you want to learn the arduino. O_O I hope I get it for my bday. If i do I'll post a thread.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: