Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/11 ramses (16)
05/11 Arcstarter (31)
05/11 Zak (15)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Strange problem with HP Compaq 6910

Move Thread LAN_403
Chip Fixes
Mon Dec 26 2011, 08:57PM Print
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
I have this laptop: Link2 and it will not start up. But wait there's more! When you take out the battery and reinsert it, it immediately powers on for a approx. 7 seconds (fan spins, power button light is green, the indicator lights for power, wifi, and battery all stay off, cd light is red, screen is unresponsive) then it shuts down and then the fan, power button light, and red cd light, alternate between on and off about every second. this lasts about 5 seconds. When that's done it just stays off. It won't respond when the power button is pressed. Any ideas?

EDIT: I tested the battery with a voltmeter. It's fully charged
The Lightning Stalker
Tue Dec 27 2011, 04:57AM
The Lightning Stalker Registered Member #4230 Joined: Sat Nov 26 2011, 05:50AM
Have you tried powering it from the brick? If that works, then I'm guessing it's a dead battery. Try plugging it in and taking out the battery.
Chip Fixes
Tue Dec 27 2011, 05:55AM
yeah, it's unresponsive. The battery is fully charged anyway
krenshala
Thu Dec 29 2011, 10:55PM
krenshala Registered Member #143 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 04:25PM
Find the user/service manual for that model and check for LED POST codes. The blinky lights are most likely giving you at least a hint as to what is happening.

Pulling the battery and running it from power cord only is a good test as well, but it sounds like you've tried that with no change.

When I did notebook support the next step I would usually take would be to pull all customer removable parts (for the ones I worked on that would be hard drive, optical drive, modem, wifi, bluetooth, and memory) and see if the symptoms change. If they do, then the problem is most likely with something that was removed. If they don't change, its probably the motherboard or processor. Normally you get an error when you boot with no memory, but getting that error instead is actually a good thing normally.

If the symptom changed with all that out, start putting parts back one at a time to see when the problem shows up; the last part you put in is almost always the culprit.
Chip Fixes
Fri Dec 30 2011, 07:45AM
Thanks for the detailed reply! I could only find beep codes and there aren't any beeps... Good idea about removing everything, I did all that and still had the same problem so I think you're right and the CPU/GPU is the problem. I got a very nice Weller soldering iron/heat gun with an adjustable thermostat for Christmas so i'll try a reflow. One question, should I use the heat gun at 200 or 250 Celsius? or a temperature in-between?
Chip Fixes
Tue Jan 24 2012, 10:23PM
Sorry to bring back this thread but I'm still having trouble. The guy who gave me the laptop gave me $40 to figure out exactly what's wrong and fix it if possible. I found out that no power was getting from the charger to the battery to charge it. So I think the problem lies in the motherboard somewhere... I took the laptop completely apart and tested out the jack with a DMM, it's transferring voltage fine so no problem there. Is there an easier way to figure out what's wrong than checking each component along the path from the jack to the battery?

EDIT: A fried motherboard isn't the answer I'm looking for haha. I'd like to figure out the problem.
Conundrum
Wed Jan 25 2012, 11:09PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Same problem here, have an HP Compaq which rapidly blinks the power light when you try and power it up.

I did find that "powers up then shuts down" can be caused by a faulty screen cable, seems that it powers on but then something detects the short across the Vcc and shuts everything off again.
Chip Fixes
Thu Jan 26 2012, 01:55AM
alright well I took the motherboard out of the case and detached everything except the fan (So I could know if it would power up) then plugged in the battery and it did the same thing as usual haha. So definitely a motherboard problem. I'll let you know if I figure anything else out
Conundrum
Thu Jan 26 2012, 06:35PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Could be BIOS, also I'd have left the speakers connected.

Another "if all else fails" method which has worked for me is to reflow the GPU and chipset with a heat gun.
Ideally using an infrared thermometer to verify reflow temperature is reached, however you can also use a thermocouple from a broken soldering iron element.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: