Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Computer Science
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

8-Bit PIC Code Memory

Move Thread LAN_403
wpk5008
Wed Jan 05 2011, 03:23AM Print
wpk5008 Registered Member #3546 Joined: Tue Dec 28 2010, 08:24AM
I have this terrible tendency to try to make things not suitable for 8-bit PICs. I also only program PICs in assembly; I know what you're going to say.....

Anyways I have a small problem. When I write my programs I have a tendency to go over 256 lines of code. This is fine because from my understanding the PIC16F8xx family that I typically use has four times this code memory. Unfortunately if your code goes into one of the later program code banks and you attempt to adjust the code line for something such as a look up table it throws me into that location in the first bank. How do I ensure that I stay in the second or third or four memory bank without having to leave all my look up tables at the top of my code. Honestly I asked my professor that question and he didn't know how, hopefully one of you guys has figured this problem out in the past.
Bjørn
Wed Jan 05 2011, 03:54AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Look up the ORG control directive, it will set the program origin and any code after that will follow the address defined by the org statement.
Steve Conner
Wed Jan 05 2011, 09:42AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Lookup tables that cross page boundaries are a classic PIC f***-up. Using the ORG statement helps, but you also have to set the high bits of the program counter appropriately.

Once you've started playing with PCLATH, you also have to save it and restore it in your ISR, if you're using interrupts. (Took me a long time to figure that one out.)

Here's part of a lookup table routine I wrote earlier, for a keyboard scanner implemented on a PIC16F870. It shows most of the techniques you need for a reliable LUT, even a simple bounds check with the "andlw 0x3f". (the table is 64 entries long)

To clarify, you can place this code in any bank and call it from any other bank using "call kblut". The call instruction pushes the full program counter on the stack, not just the low 8 bits, so the page you were in gets remembered. The "retlw" instruction in the table will send you back to the one after the "call".

This one doesn't take account of page boundaries within the table itself. So it's limited to about 250 entries, assuming you position it at the beginning of a page with the org directive. Microchip have an app note somewhere that shows how to do longer ones.

kblut	org	0x300
	movlw	HIGH(kblst)
	movwf	PCLATH

movf	ksbuff,W
	andlw	0x3f

addwf	PCL,f
kblst	retlw	0	; padding

; table proper
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0
	retlw	0x5f

etc
wpk5008
Wed Jan 05 2011, 06:30PM
wpk5008 Registered Member #3546 Joined: Tue Dec 28 2010, 08:24AM
I didn't realize that you could simply add org statements into the code like that, or at least I have never seen that done before? I figured it had something to do with the PCLATH register too but I just wasn't sure how to use it. Thank you for that example McConner.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: