All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

60KV 3.5 nF home made caps - complete protocol

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mates
Mon Sept 24 2007, 09:17PM Print
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
Hi guys,
Here is my complete protocol for making HV caps. It took me a while to reach this final design, so I hope you all appreciate it in your HV experiments. The caps are based on PP copolymer foils used in laser copiers and printers. Each sheet should stand 14KV and depending on how many sheets you use you can get different capacitance (two sheets 9nF - six sheets 3.5 nF). Picture is more than 100 words so have a look...Used alu-foil is the fat one (for grilling). Have fun... Mates

Total number of sheets 15 per cap (2 for covering each alu-sheet, 5 between the covered alu- sheets, 5 on top of the second covered alu-sheet and one more for final rolling)

Size of alu sheet 22x15.5 cm

BTW: I hope you all already have the hot-glue pistol!

According to the longevity:
The PP copolymer should be very resistant against ozone. I'm using these caps in my MARX generator and I have no fails after more than 100 shots. Also in my small TC these caps works without breakdown for quite a long time. But of course this is not professional product so I can not promise 1000h of continual work...

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2232

The required tools and supplies.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2233

Cut the foil to size using a sharp knife

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2235

Use a smooth rolling pin (made of small fluorescent tube) on a smooth surface to get rid of as much air as possible. Air bubbles will cause corona and ozone to form above a certain voltage/frequency

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2237

Interleave the plastic sheets (5pc) between and above the already made doublets with aluminium foils between.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2241

Use the rolling pin again and prepare the cables by removing 5-6cm of the isolation

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2242

Find the upper aluminium foil and place the firts cable on it. Let only the unisolated part of the cable in the contact with the aluminium foil.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2244

Tricky part one: Roll the sheets slowly...

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2248

Find the most upper sheet (the lowest one before rolling)

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2250

Tricky part two: Unroll the most upper sheet until the second aluminium foil is exposed. Place the cable and roll it back. Hold the cap properly during this process otherwise it can unroll very quickly in your hand and you have to start again!

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2252

Use one or two more sheets to roll over to protect unrolling and it also makes the upper aluminium foil more than one sheet isolated.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2254

Use the glue tape to protect unrolling.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2257

Use the scissors and follow the upper cable with the tip and cut a track for it.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2259

Put the cable through the track you have cut with the scissors. This is important for gluing the sides of the capacitor.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2262

Cut the same track for the inner cable...

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2268

Place the inner cable inside the capacitor. You remove it back after the ends are glued.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2270

Use the glue pistol to put some more easy-to-melt plastic at the ends and fix and isolate the cables with the glue properly!

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2274

Do the same on the other end.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2275

Final appearance before gluing

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2283

Tricky part three: Push the end of the capacitor against preheated metal plate (use an electric cooker) to melt the PP foils and the hot-glue into a compact structure. This is very improtant part which needs a lot of focus. It will protect the cap before the side spark-overs. (Side spark-overs are the biigest risk for the final capacitor).

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2293

Remember to remove the inner cable. In case the whole is blinded after the previous step make a whole with a pencil while the plastic is still hot and soft.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2294

Use more hot-glue to fix and isolate the cables. It is good idea to put additional PVC or silicon tubing around the cables and glue it to the main body of the capacitor.

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2296

Check the capacitance

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2299

Test setting for the capacitor. Use the spark gap distance to set the final volatage to approx. 50-60KV DC (5-6cm distance)

1190668641 1025 FT0 Pict2300

Put some earplugs and sunglasses and let the capacitor run for while. Remember discharge properly the capacitor after the test (and any other) run. It can store the charge for a long time and touching both ends of 3.5nF cap loaded to 50KV is shocking experience!
Sulaiman
Tue Sept 25 2007, 04:32AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Nice work but I have to ask;
how long have you run your capacitors with hv applied?

In the 80's I made various home-rolled capacitors and to cut a long story short -
if there was any air in the foil/dielectric they eventually failed
due to ozone created by internal corona 'eating' the dielectric.

Unless you can roll and seal them in a vacuum
or fill the capacitor with oil
I think yours will also fail.

Apply hv to your capacitor(s) and observe them in the dark (needs caution!)
ANY sign of bluish light means they WILL fail.

If you don't see any corona then WELL DONE !!
Simon
Tue Sept 25 2007, 11:20PM
Simon Registered Member #32 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 08:58AM
Do you have a wiki account? This is just the kind of thing we'd love to have there.
Tesladownunder
Mon Dec 24 2007, 01:04AM
Tesladownunder Registered Member #10 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 09:45AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

Unless you can roll and seal them in a vacuum
or fill the capacitor with oil
I think yours will also fail.
Apply hv to your capacitor(s) and observe them in the dark (needs caution!)
ANY sign of bluish light means they WILL fail.
Not sure if I agree 100%. Caps you made in the 80's may have failed in TC use. This is 100% reversal stuff, not just intermittent DC charging.
The prime example of a failure prone cap is in a TEA laser where you can have only a thin layer of dielectric and need a moderate voltage across it. Failure is common as 10kV plus is aplied continuously. However if you use a Marx to charge it in a few microseconds, a higher voltage can be applied and longevity is improved, presumably as the voltage is only applied momentarily. Less time for corona to do damage.
Of course at 60kV, everything will light up with corona.
TDU
Logan Kennedy
Mon Dec 24 2007, 05:10AM
Logan Kennedy Registered Member #1103 Joined: Mon Nov 05 2007, 06:02PM
I've made a few of these before, but I could never remove all the air from the conductor/dielectric layers. I never ran them for too long, so they still haven't failed. However I'm sure they would fail quite quickly if ran under extended duty.

I will have to use your method and see if I can produce a halfway decent DIY HV capacitor.

The best thing: they're cheap and fairly easy to make, and losing one or two during operation isn't too much of a loss.
cbfull
Sat Dec 29 2007, 02:05AM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
When I made my first HV cap I used glass sheets and Al foil. I left it dry and the whole thing would light up blue with corona. I decided to fill it with oil and not only did the corona stop, the performance of it improved drastically.

Not a suggestion, just an individual observationa
Dr. Dark Current
Sat Dec 29 2007, 09:52AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Just a stupid suggestion, maybe you can "paint" the caps with oil before rolling them?
cbfull
Sat Dec 29 2007, 08:45PM
cbfull Registered Member #187 Joined: Thu Feb 16 2006, 02:54PM
jmartis wrote ...

Just a stupid suggestion, maybe you can "paint" the caps with oil before rolling them?

That's not a stupid idea by any means! Ideally, just about any device handling high voltages would be pre-wetted or "painted" as you say with whatever insulating material is desired (oil, epoxy, etc.). Unfortunately in this hobby the equipment is not already built with our interests in mind.

What is typically done to extend the life of a HV device is to submerge the device (transformer, capacitor, rectifier) in the liquid insulating media and then pull as strong a vacuum as possible to remove as much air as possible from every nook and crannie. Pre-wetting during assembly could cut vacuum treatment times to a mere fraction.

Not sure if you are already aware of this but as an engineer I had to point out how practical and sensible that idea is.
Mates
Sun Dec 30 2007, 05:00PM
Mates Registered Member #1025 Joined: Sun Sept 23 2007, 07:53PM
According to the oil suggestion...
My first rolled capacitors were combined with a silicon oil. Honestly, I had to leave the concept when I started to play with voltages over 40KV. Problem was, that the oil made impossible to glue the sheets on the sides and the caps started to spark on the sides... Moreover, once the spark started it made carbonized path and decreased the breaktrough voltage very rapidly and the cap was more or less destroyed...

I think, the corona problem is not so big like most of you suggest. The latest version of my caps are very robust and I have not destroyed a single one even by playing with voltages close to 60KV reaching hundreds of hard (no load) discharges. (Of course I mean DC...)

Cheers Mates
MOT_man
Tue Jan 01 2008, 09:27AM
MOT_man Registered Member #1127 Joined: Mon Nov 19 2007, 12:08AM
I just built a capacitor using your technique and poly sheeting from overhead enlargers. I tried 7 kV (AC) pulsed a couple of times through the capacitor. I saw some weak corona - but it wasn't bad. I also tried to vacuum seal the capacitor in a 2" PVC housing with end caps - poured in mineral oil and then vacuumed the whole lot. Seems to work fine... I'm sure 10 kV might be a bit much.... but I'll try it an see.

Just slide the hand rolled capacitor down the PVC tube and presto - I think my capacitors comes out to 8 nF due the number of layers I used. - It's a great idea! Thanks for the inspiration!

--- just tried 10kV ... no problems. 10 second burst...

--- just tried 12 kV NST.... no problems.... 10 second burst

1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: