Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Steve Conner (46)

Next birthdays
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
04/29 ElectroDog (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitor Discharge Microspot Welder / Cutter

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
radhoo
Thu Feb 09 2012, 05:30PM Print
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
As seen on Hack A Day: Link2

Project Start, January 2012
I've just completed the first tests of a new challenging project, a pulsed discharge micro spot welder and cutter tool. It stores energy into a huge capacitor bank, and discharges it via two electrodes in the given target, regularly metal foils/sheets. The logic and the precise timing (of the order of micro-seconds) is controlled by an AtMEGA16-16PU microcontroller running at 16MHz. It can be used for spot welding and for plasma cutting.

The power switch is handled by 5 power mosfets, IRFP2907, set in parallel and driven by a darlington array IC with further transistor amplification. A single mosfet is rated for 75V 209Amps and an extremely low Rds.
The tool currently operates in two modes
1) Micro spot soldering
A predefined (uC+LCD+controls) high current pulse is delivered to the two electrodes, when the trigger button is pressed. Metal wires or sheets pressed between the electrodes will be soldered.
2) Cutting
A burst of short pulses are sent to the electrodes to generate plasma and cut thin metal foils.
The pulse duration, repetition rates are configurable. I got best results with pairs of pulses. Duration in the range of tens - a few hundreds of microseconds. For welding, the first pulse melts the material, and the second consolidates the soldering. For cutting the first pulse does the damage, and the second pulse helps to clean the electrode off the molten micro spot.
More operating modes can be added, so please give me ideas!
TODOs:
- I need to find better electrodes, that do not stick to the material , I'm considering tungsten or graphite. Suggestions?
- bigger capacitor bank: I need more power, and will probably go for a 1Farad Car Audio capacitor . Those Sprague I'm currently using are not enough for ticker sheets.
- finish and publish the software
- publish schematics and PCB layout.
More details here: Link2

update 2: February 9th, 2012
I need to decide what type of LCD to use: the 2 lines HD44780 LCD, or the bigger one, with 4 lines. The code I wrote works with both. The larger one would have the advantage of allowing more text to be displayed. The smaller one is on the other hand more compact, better suited for my small case.
150x150

Update 3: February 22nd, 2012
I purchased a suitable capacitor. Finally! It's a Pyramid Royal Blue, CAP160DBL 1.6V . The first thing I did was to dismantle the useless electronic part and the display. By doing so, the new size fits perfectly to my project box. For those complaining that this type of capacitor, when used for car audio systems, doesn't switch off and depletes the car battery, simply unscrew the connectors to take off the display part. You won't be needing that anyway:
150x150150x150

Update 4: March 1st, 2012
The project box, in the final shape is ready. I had to cut some more wood, but that's an easy task if using the proper tools (I got a nice pendular saw). For a quick test I tried using a halogen 12V electronic transformer. That was a waste of time, as those things are unstable, and not working properly (they are barely oscillating):
150x150150x150150x150
The box exposes the heatsink, a standard PC power connector, and a fuse holder. The big capacitor is mounted on the top, as it looks nice and is too big to fit inside anyway.

Update 5: March 3rd, 2012
I resisted the temptation to throw that halogen electronic transformer to the trash. It was such a waste of time! Instead I found a charger, from an old laptop. It is a 90W, 19.5V SMPS supply, with the perfect size for my box. Initial tests shown it is capable of charging the capacitor (with a short initial blackout), and even hold the intense Arc cutting mode power consumption. As this was another Chinese cheapo, some optional components such as filter, capacitors, etc where missing from the PCB, and I added those first. Next I did a heatsink upgrade, to make sure it will run continuously, for as long as I need to use the tool:
150x150150x150150x150
So far this proved to be an excellent choice! My device can now be powered from a 110V-220V outlet.
For the control panel, I needed a few potentiometers and some push buttons. I used a few NOS Russian 47K pots, I got from Gintaras Ebay show, KWTUBES. You can get some high quality components there at fair prices.
150x150150x150150x150
Some pins are used to interface with the floating cables coming from the PCB modules. By doing so, I can easily dismantle and re-mantle everything together.

Here's how the setup looks like now:
150x150150x150150x150

For the working electrodes I ended up using copper. But not just copper, also a new innovative design: the thick wires are connected to the electrodes using a screw, a screw nut and a washer. The electrode itself is a 10cm metal hollow tube. Inside, copper wire can be inserted, and while working, it can be pulled outside when needed. Exactly like a rotring pencil : the cooper electrodes is eaten while in use, but conveniently can be extracted from within the electrode, or replaced.
150x150150x150150x150

Finally, here's the completed project:
150x150150x150150x150
150x150150x150150x150

Construction details here: Link2

Inducktion
Thu Feb 09 2012, 07:18PM
Inducktion Registered Member #3637 Joined: Fri Jan 21 2011, 11:07PM
Wouldn't a 1 farad audio cap have too much ESR? Why not try using some of those Maxwell Boostcapacitors? Their ESR is .7 milliohms, which is insanely low, considering it's a whopping 2600 farads of capacitance.
m4ge123
Thu Feb 09 2012, 08:09PM
m4ge123 Registered Member #4118 Joined: Mon Oct 03 2011, 04:50PM
The series resistance of the boostcap (0.7mOhm), the MOSFET array (0.9mOhm), and random wires (up to 100mOhm) will really limit the current when working with low voltage. I would aim for at least 12 volts in the caps. If you're not going to use ultracaps, I don't see a reason to use anything less than 30V though.
Patrick
Fri Feb 10 2012, 12:15AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
i was thinking of putting some ultraltra caps in series, 2600F / 10 = 260 F at 20 or so volts.

Could a NC machine use this device as its quill? then we could NC the copper foil off circuit boards! no more acid.
Daedronus
Fri Feb 10 2012, 08:49AM
Daedronus Registered Member #2329 Joined: Tue Sept 01 2009, 08:25AM
If you want to use a CNC to make pcb boards just use a V or pyramid engraving bit.

This is what I use and it works very well, I can get some very fine and thin isolation traces, around 12mils.

As a bonus you only have to change the bit to drill the holes and cut out the board.

Just don't go for the ultra thin V bits (20 or 30 degrees) you will break them. 60 degrees bits are fine.
Turkey9
Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:21AM
Turkey9 Registered Member #1451 Joined: Wed Apr 23 2008, 03:48AM
Wow that's pretty sweet! I never would have thought to do this, good job.
Dalus
Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:30AM
Dalus Registered Member #639 Joined: Wed Apr 11 2007, 09:09PM
You can get more info by going to this guys site Link2
radhoo
Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:10AM
radhoo Registered Member #1938 Joined: Sun Jan 25 2009, 12:44PM
Inducktion wrote ...

Wouldn't a 1 farad audio cap have too much ESR? Why not try using some of those Maxwell Boostcapacitors? Their ESR is .7 milliohms, which is insanely low, considering it's a whopping 2600 farads of capacitance.
I definitely need to bring an ESR-meter when going to the car audio shop looking for these caps.

m4ge123 wrote ...

The series resistance of the boostcap (0.7mOhm), the MOSFET array (0.9mOhm), and random wires (up to 100mOhm) will really limit the current when working with low voltage. I would aim for at least 12 volts in the caps. If you're not going to use ultracaps, I don't see a reason to use anything less than 30V though.
It 0.7mO is the only limitation of these boostcaps , it might be a good idea to get one for a few tests which I probably will.
I cannot use 30V, the discharges would be too extreme / the arc too extended. I need this to work as "micro" as possible: nice , clean cuts, with the minimum level of sparks possible.
However I am aware that ESR and wire resistance creates considerable problems. I already plan to implement the following, in the capacitor-mosfet array-discharge electrodes: shorter and ticker wires, MKT quality caps in parallel with the electrolytic I am using, for a lower ESR combined factor and faster discharge response, try to go up to 20V and see how it performs.

Patrick wrote ...

i was thinking of putting some ultraltra caps in series, 2600F / 10 = 260 F at 20 or so volts.
Could a NC machine use this device as its quill? then we could NC the copper foil off circuit boards! no more acid.
Yes, adding this device as a cutting head to a plotter/CNC is possible.

Dalus wrote ...

You can get more info by going to this guys site Link2
Yes, but that design uses a PIC microcontroller. I'm more like an Atmel fan. Now that the hardware is done (more or less the capacitor bank part) I have total freedom to adjust the software. As a software developer, this will be fun and easy.

So guys, are there any suggestions on new and innovative operation modes?

Just think about the setup, we have this huge energy stored in a capacitor, and we can deliver it as precisely calculated pulses. What else to do with it?

Don't tell me to drive a flyback cheesey

LE reading about EDL caps, I found some interesting details:
Very low internal resistance allows extremely rapid discharge when shorted, resulting in a spark hazard similar to any other capacitor of similar voltage and capacitance (generally much higher than electrochemical cells).
Apparently the only limitation applying to my setup would be:
Low maximum voltage – series connections are needed to obtain higher voltages, and voltage balancing may be required. As Patrick already indicated.
Proud Mary
Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:26AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Pulse electrolysis. There are dozens and dozens of papers about it.
Tonskulus
Fri Feb 10 2012, 02:21PM
Tonskulus Registered Member #1223 Joined: Thu Jan 10 2008, 04:32PM
I made similar metal sheet cutter using welder transformer, rectifier, cap bank and heavy choke and carbon electrode.
For thin metals, I use just scissors as it is much faster way :)

Nice project anyway!
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: