Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Vaxian (17)

Next birthdays
05/21 Dalus (34)
05/21 Kizmo (37)
05/22 Skynet (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Minibrute Construction Thread / FAQs

Move Thread LAN_403
Austin
Tue Jan 22 2008, 09:15PM
Austin Registered Member #1169 Joined: Wed Dec 12 2007, 09:16AM
Wirenut wrote ...

I like how when it stops you can hear it echo.

Yeah, I thought that was cool too. Kinda gives you an idea of how loud it is, echoing off the neighbors house across the street.

Have you tried running it without a breakout point?

No, I haven't tried. As Dan mentioned, this is specifically advised against in the book. Too bad, I really like the look of an arc randomly floating around the toroid. I actually own one of your mini coils that doesn't use a breakout point and people love the little guy too.

what about adding a breakout point at the very top of the toroid? might look cool.

Wire I got another question, in one of your photo it shows an 8g wire going through your T21 and T1 (also known as primary current sense and primary current feed back). Is that 8g wire hooked up to the primary circuit or the secondary because in fig 2-8 it looks as if the copper wire coming from secondary should go through T21 and T1 and then grounded, not the primary. But then again why is it called primary feed back and current sense any insights?
Wirenut
Tue Jan 22 2008, 09:48PM
Wirenut Registered Member #141 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 01:14PM
Is that 8g wire hooked up to the primary circuit or the secondary because in fig 2-8 it looks as if the copper wire coming from secondary should go through T21 and T1 and then grounded, not the primary.

Ah, yes, I remember being momentarily confused by this too. Fig 2-8 does appear to show the secondary wire going through the current transformers. This may be a relic from when Dan was using secondary feedback, I don't know. Anyway, it is primary feedback and as such, the primary lead goes through the CTs.

what about adding a breakout point at the very top of the toroid? might look cool.

I've tried this, looks kind of like a fountain type firework. Keeps the streamers away from the primary too.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Jan 22 2008, 11:11PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
wrote ...

Ah, yes, I remember being momentarily confused by this too. Fig 2-8 does appear to show the secondary wire going through the current transformers. This may be a relic from when Dan was using secondary feedback, I don't know. Anyway, it is primary feedback and as such, the primary lead goes through the CTs.

Yeah, thats obviously an error. I'll add that to my list for the next edition corrections.
thanks
Wirenut
Tue Jan 22 2008, 11:23PM
Yeah, thats obviously an error. I'll add that to my list for the next edition corrections.
thanks

One other minor discrepancy I noticed is c32 is in the schematic, but not on the board.
Austin
Wed Jan 23 2008, 01:06AM
I am glad I asked :)

Is c32 needed? should I follow the schematic or the board design?

Wire, are there any other obvious errors you found that you can remember? I just received my Digikey shipment today, so i'm sure i will run into some issues.
Wirenut
Wed Jan 23 2008, 01:21AM

I have to admit, although I know enough to be able to follow schematics, I do not understand enough about electronics to know what c32 is supposed to do or what would happen (if anything) if I'd included it. Since it was not on the actual board, I left it out and did not actually notice it until later. Seems to work fine without it, maybe someone else can elaborate on its function?

Wire, are there any other obvious errors you found that you can remember? I just received my Digikey shipment today, so i'm sure i will run into some issues.

No other errors that I can remember, but some of the digikey part numbers had changed. I was able to find the parts easy enough by just searching for the part name. The 220V TVSs were one of them. Since you've already rec'd your order, I assume you were able to figure this out too.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jan 23 2008, 02:50AM
Off the top of my head, I think C32 is a 10pF capacitor on the input to one of the op-amps or comparators? If so, then it is recommended to add as a filter.
Austin
Wed Jan 23 2008, 06:09AM
Wirenut wrote ...

I have to admit, although I know enough to be able to follow schematics, I do not understand enough about electronics to know what c32 is supposed to do or what would happen (if anything) if I'd included it. Since it was not on the actual board, I left it out and did not actually notice it until later. Seems to work fine without it, maybe someone else can elaborate on its function?

No other errors that I can remember, but some of the digikey part numbers had changed. I was able to find the parts easy enough by just searching for the part name. The 220V TVSs were one of them. Since you've already rec'd your order, I assume you were able to figure this out too.

Some of the part #'s did change! thanks for the heads up wire. Also did you have any issues with the diodes not fitting through the holes of the PCB board? like CR3 and CR4. These two diodes in particular look different in the picture, but this might be because these are the lead free version?
Wirenut
Wed Jan 23 2008, 06:20AM
diodes not fitting through the holes of the PCB board? like CR3 and CR4.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, I did have this exact problem. I just soldered some "posts" out of some of the scrap clipped leads from already-soldered in components, then soldered the leads of the diodes to the posts.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jan 23 2008, 11:37AM
I vaguely remember these diodes not fitting. Easy fix is just cutting the leads short and mounting like surface mount, or using a small drill bit and widening the hole appropriately.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: