Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
05/20 Vaxian (17)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Yet another coil gun prototype

Move Thread LAN_403
V2006
Sat Dec 01 2018, 06:23PM
V2006 Registered Member #61550 Joined: Thu Apr 06 2017, 03:23PM
DerAlbi : it will take another hundred years and you will not do anything

Link2

Link2

Link2
Zuckerstange47
Sat Dec 01 2018, 07:13PM
Zuckerstange47 Registered Member #61926 Joined: Wed Nov 22 2017, 04:08PM
V2006 wrote ...

DerAlbi : it will take another hundred years and you will not do anything

Link2

Link2

Link2

Your links do not work, again.

I modified them here:

Link2

Link2

Link2

Anyhoo, I do not understand why this link-posting is happening right here, and also in the comments of many youtube videos, that are distantly related to the topic.
V2006
Sat Dec 01 2018, 07:23PM
Zuckerstange47 Thank you
DerAlbi
Sat Dec 01 2018, 07:24PM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
And what do those videos show in particular? Some coilgun shooting.. so what?
What efficiency? What device weight? What shot rate? What projectile energy? There is none of the really important information in those videos.
2kJ @ 100V with 400mF... is exactly zero information except how much money you put in. Everyone can do that and accelerate some projectile with this energy.
I am not sure what i have not done and what exactly will take 100 years. My coilgun is finished and as far as i know with 27W/kg my linear accelerator has the best power density in the world (regarding the devices powered from capacitors), but i love to hear other results..
V2006
Sat Dec 01 2018, 11:22PM
DerAlbi
you have no such video
money spent many times less than you spent
for the money that you spend, I would do even better

coefficient of performance not less than 30%

projectile energy not less than 600 joules

*2kJ @ 100V с 400mF

device weight:

Link2
DerAlbi
Sun Dec 02 2018, 01:45AM
Sry, i dont find a weight nor shot rate frown
I found however that your projectile weight is given as "370 to 480g" which is an uncertainty of 20% for the weight alone. How is that even possible?
Your build uses a very big projectile. With such a design it is not complicated go get into the 3 digit energy range. You can think about it as if you have built a bigger and heavier motor: more iron and copper, more power, but also more weight. The tricky thing is to get more power out of the same build volume and materials. Also it is not difficult to put a lot of energy in the projectile as long as the projectile is fat and slow. Small projectiles at high speed is there the engineering begins.
I dont think you can compare my goals with yours. I have a magazine, automatic reloading, quite some complicated software and a complete case for my gun - it also adheres to local laws and is battery powered for as much as 200 shot per battery charge. I dont think that you have any idea what it took to get to this state, so sorry if i ignore your comment on my resource spending.

May i ask what you think you have done differently to anyone else to get the performance you see? (except building a really big gun)
You criticize that everyone builds the same stuff and there is too little development in the community..
Hands down, what is your invention here? (beside the size)
Can your technology be scaled down to achieve a 100J version with an 8mm diameter 30mm long projectile? If you build a small, light and compact demonstrator, i would be impressed!

For a start: is it an SCR-design, or resonant, or halfbridge?
V2006
Sun Dec 02 2018, 08:51AM
DerAlbi
370 до 480 г - optimization experiments
370 г. - for 10300 J (450 V) optimally
for 2000 J (100 V) optimally 550 g
I can do everything
but I have almost nothing
if i lived in dresden and had that kind of money like yours i would do everything
my material base is outdated
with modern material base everything is possible
8mm diameter 30mm long projectile - also possible
but this is unnecessary complexity
diameter of 12 - 14 mm will be more optimal

V2006
Sun Dec 02 2018, 08:57AM
here you can understand that the velocity of the projectile is great

Link2

370 gramm, diametr 22 мм, long 145 mm
DerAlbi
Sun Dec 02 2018, 11:59AM
Ok, you totally misunderstand why i spend resources. You think that it spend all this time to get a 20J gun and find that pathetic - i get that; if you phrase it like this, you are right. But you totally miss the point of my build.
As far as i can tell from everything you say you have scaled up your coilgun and got a very big and powerful device - maybe the strongest hobbyist coilgun in the world currently.
Scaling up is a matter of resources - i totally agree and understand why you think you could have done better in different circumstances. You spent your resources to get to 600J; but scaling up is the most trivial thing to do in a coilgun. Nothing changes, everything just becomes bigger and with this, naturally things become stronger and up to some point also more efficient.
But you have not built anything new or innovative - its just big. You seem to use the optimization routine every hobbyist uses and you also seem to use the same concept as everyone else uses.
If your goal was to create the ultimate big gun, you succeeded, but this was far away from my goal, so dont compare us.
My gun is the smallest possible with high shot rate and decent output energy with scalable concepts behind it. I broke several usual design rules of coilguns and reinvented a lot of components to get the most energy transfer out of the least volume and weight.
I am sorry to say, but having had those ideas was more a matter of sleeping, walking and shitting than the fact that i spend all my money on the gun. Money made the quality possible, but the performance is not a budget issue. This is about engineering skill and creativity and understanding the device in depth, not scaling up the known concepts.

So i really do not understand your criticism that the community is not moving forward: scaling up has nothing to do with evolving the technology. The last time this forum has seen something truly innovative was the member "Yandersen" with his resonant foil capacitor design.
If you could spend more money, i am quite certain you would get in the kJ-range quite easily. But it would still be the basic SCR design. How would that move the community forward? Kinetic kJ-range coilguns had been done, so whats the point of scaling? New concepts (that are in reach for hobbyist) is what we would need. My design unfortunately isnt suitable for hobbyists.
V2006
Sun Dec 02 2018, 02:03PM
Ok DerAlbi send money - i will make a small model
there are plans to make a small model
but there are no more capacitors
there are no wires either
in general, there is nothing
in the presence of investments I will do everything

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: