Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
wpk5008 (34)

Next birthdays
05/08 wpk5008 (34)
05/09 Alfons (36)
05/09 Coronafix (51)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Rogowski coil construction

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
aonomus
Thu Jan 29 2009, 02:12AM
aonomus Registered Member #1497 Joined: Thu May 22 2008, 05:24AM
So I've constructed the coil and given it a whirl using my coilgun and it seems to work ok. I don't have a integrator for it, it is only the rogowski coil itself plugged into a scope. Some construction photos:

IMG 2404
I used a luer lock fittings (from syringes and fluid handling stuff) for the connector

IMG 2405

IMG 2411

IMG 2412
A closeup of the coil.

I used 20ft of RG6 with a twist-on BNC connector (no crimper), 30AWG magnet wire for the coil itself.

For my first test I used my biggest induction motor fan on 120VAC and got this:

IMG 2409
Test setup

IMG 2408
Sinewave: 120VAC
Choppy wave: Current

My second test was with my coilgun with different projectiles and voltages, and worked out pretty well. I captured the waveforms using my laptop's soundcard as a cheap DSO, however I maxed out the card and the waveforms got clipped at higher powers.

Rogowski

300V

430v

Edit: Now all that remains is to both calibrate the coil, and also build the integrator

Edit 2:
Videos of the 300V and 430V tests, kinda boring but if you are interested:
Link2
Link2
likewhat
Thu Jan 29 2009, 02:31AM
likewhat Account deactivated by user request on 6/11/2009.
Registered Member #1071 Joined: Fri Oct 19 2007, 02:13AM
interesting results. A few questions/comments.

How do you terminate the coil. It is built in a 50 ohm cable right? are you terminating it into a 50 ohm connection, if not it will have weird reflections and you will see them on your scope.

Unless you buy something that comes with a calibration and you are using it within the design parameters you pretty much have to calibrate it for the frequency you are using it on. So if you need to measure something that puts out 1000 amps with 1 us rise time you should calibrate it on a 1 us rise time pulse that has an amperage output you can reliably measure.

If you are maxing out your card you should get some attenuators for it. I dont know how much they cost cause we just have piles of them in the lab I work at but they are super useful, that way you dont have to build a different probe for every different machine you measure current on.

aonomus
Thu Jan 29 2009, 02:46AM
Well in Link2 you can see its a 75 ohm cable, the coil itself has 2 connections, one end to shield, one end to center conductor. I sadly couldn't find any 50ohm cable, perhaps one day I will build a new one on a 50ohm cable.

What would the reflection look like on a scope, I've tried low frequency, high frequency, and pulse and I haven't gotten any visible reflections, although on some HF measurements I got unstable triggering on my scope, however I suspect that is due to the HF source being the charger circuit on my coilgun, and that it naturally fluctuates...

I'll have to read up on calibrating it anyway.
rp181
Thu Jan 29 2009, 04:47AM
rp181 Registered Member #1062 Joined: Tue Oct 16 2007, 02:01AM
I was winding one, and i was wondering, what if the loop is too big? can it be too big (within limits)?
Thu Jan 29 2009, 12:03PM
101111 Registered Member #575 Joined: Sun Mar 11 2007, 04:00AM
About impedance it connectors and cables on this topic:
I can hardly see that it matters, as far as I know this is only relevant when it come to high frequencies.
I think as long as the cable are shielded it should be O.K, but I might be wrong..
rp181
Thu Jan 29 2009, 11:34PM
Hey all,
I just finished winding a coil. Its wound with 30 AWG. I was talking to aonomus about just putting the coil next together, instead of a Tee. Would this method work? Here are some pics:
T Rogjoinm 333c5d1

T Rogwholem Ec923f0

BTW, in the first pic, the ends are closer together then they appear. one end was bent up a little.

EDIT: I just tried it with a 3900uf capacitor charged to 160v. The wave is nice and clean, and it is also cut off. It wasn't a coilgun, it was hard shorted with a SCR. Im going to try mains now, ile post pics when im done with that.
aonomus
Tue Feb 03 2009, 10:59PM
So I've done up a schematic, slightly modified from Dalus's link (post #4 I believe), its a bit of a monstrosity, but its single sided and uses a bunch of jumpers. I have modified the board to use fewer since then, but its still pretty bad....

Board
rp181
Wed Feb 04 2009, 02:19AM
nice, where do you plan on getting the TL071P's?
aonomus
Wed Feb 04 2009, 03:28AM
Well TDU's active integrator is very similar to this, including the opamp (TL071), however discussions with Steve Conner said that I'd need opamps 10-100x faster than the time constant of the pulse (assuming a 1-10ms pulse, that means the TL071 is too slow). Since TDU's worked with TL071's, I will try the design with this first, and if they are too slow and I get residual voltage offset, I'll switch to a pin-equivalent faster opamp.
rp181
Wed Feb 04 2009, 04:33AM
What is the intended application? I was reading some paper's, and passive will suffice for some. Since mine will be a permanent installation, passive will work fine.
 1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: