Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
05/04 Matthew T. (35)
05/04 Amrit Deshmukh (60)
05/05 Alexandre (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

PSQCW DRSSTC

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Matt Edwards
Tue Jun 21 2011, 03:42PM
Matt Edwards Registered Member #2838 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 07:55PM
Beautiful board for home brew!
Patrick
Tue Jun 21 2011, 08:07PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
Did you do the UV photo thing? Came out nice.
BSVi
Wed Jun 22 2011, 04:52PM
BSVi Registered Member #1637 Joined: Sat Aug 16 2008, 04:47AM
>Did you do the UV photo thing?
Yep, I did exactly that.

My parts arrived and I done with soldering. Now I have to make some cables and power source to be able to download firmware to micro and cpld.

Offtop: Tomorrow I'll get my Engeneer degree, so congrats to me ))

1308761573 1637 FT117239 2

1308761573 1637 FT117239 3
Patrick
Wed Jun 22 2011, 05:41PM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
BSVi wrote ...

Offtop: Tomorrow I'll get my Engeneer degree, so congrats to me ))

HEY !!! Thats great !!!

For me it will be another 2 years at least, and that assumes they wont layoff anymore of my professors.
Steve Ward
Sat Jun 25 2011, 02:17AM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
I was recently trying to simulate something much like this idea. The "issue" is that the QCW DRSSTC is fairly high coupling, and low energy storage (low Q) system, so in starting/stopping the drive voltage, the system energy ramps up and down faster than i think is useful for stable spark growth.

How did you manage to get such a smooth ramp? That is, what are the parameters for the Tesla coil (LCs and coupling) Im guessing perhaps low coupling and very high primary impedance? I wonder what happens when you put some losses on the secondary, if the system can supply the power to grow the sparks?

It is indeed a fun idea to be able to achieve all the modulation within the bridge itself. I also like that you are going for a CPLD, this is something i want to play with in the future.
BSVi
Sat Jun 25 2011, 12:28PM
>HEY !!! Thats great !!!
Thanks )) Now, I'm officially an engeneer and can continue with tesla stuff.

I'v done cpld debugging, and now I have deadtime and interrupter workinkg well. I also had to introduce small amount of hysteresis (30mV) on feedback comparator to make it stable. Next step now is to test pulse skipper behavior, and to make power supply for IGBT drivers.

>The "issue" is that the QCW DRSSTC is fairly high coupling, and low energy storage (low Q)
That's bad news. I used pretty random model for simulation based only on desired geometry, without taking spark load into account, the parameters are:

Primary R: 1 Ohm
Primary L: 62.07µ
Primary C: 2865p

Secondary R: 100 Ohm
Secondary L: 19986µH
Secondary C: 8.9p

Coupling: 0.3

>I wonder what happens when you put some losses on the secondary, if the system can supply the power to grow the sparks?
Shurely, the system will be able to supply power (it's drsstc after all), but with lowering Q the current ripple increases. I'm not shure about implications of high current ripple, so that's another thing to find out.

1309004890 1637 FT117239 Int 1

1309004890 1637 FT117239 Int 2

1309004890 1637 FT117239 Dead
Steve Ward
Sat Jun 25 2011, 03:52PM
Steve Ward Registered Member #146 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 04:21AM
Ok, i see, you just have a rather large primary surge impedance so that the evolution of primary current is already slow on its own, so that controls the "ramping up too fast" issue. But, i think if you put a loss in there (try putting an R across the secondary output of R = 3X Zsec, for starters) then i think you will see some new behavior (probably limited primary current, and it should drop faster when you skip cycles).

Ive been discussing this pulse skipping topology with Jimmy Hynes (coincidentally to seeing this project), and we both agreed that pulse skipping can produce "smoother" current/voltage control if 1) you lower primary secondary coupling, and 2) you lower secondary impedance so its effective Q is larger. You also need to tune the primary and switch it to operate at the primary zero, and not either of the pole frequencies (run an AC sweep of your DRSSTC, and look at how the primary phase crosses zero degrees 3 times, the center one is at a minimum of primary current, this is the "zero", the other 2 phase crossings happen at the "poles"). Whats going on in this case is that you have a series LC (primary leakage and tank cap) feeding a parallel resonant (secondary L and C) where both LCs are tuned to the same frequency. You essentially store reactive power in the parallel LC, and only feed *real* power from the inverter through the series LC. This makes the secondary look like a *stiff* voltage source, which you can then modulate with the pulse skipping. After studying this operation for the last few days, it remains interesting to me, but there are other challenges involved with making it work, i think. I have not yet done a design study to see how well it might work as coupling goes less than .1 and with really low secondary Z.

Anyway, will be looking forward to what you do with this setup. Im quite excited to see someone trying this method of control!
BSVi
Mon Jul 04 2011, 08:58AM
I'v done power suppy for my controller. It supplies 3.3v for controler itself and 2 isolated pairs of +11 and -4v for IGBT's gates.

>But, i think if you put a loss in there then i think you will see some new behavior (probably limited primary current, and it should drop faster when you skip cycles).

Yep, I tried to simulate system with load and saw exactly what you are talking about - the current drops significantly with added secondary load. The solution is obvious - to decrease coupling, but I dont know if it would have "QCW effect" with low coupling.

>you lower secondary impedance so its effective Q is larger.
I think, you mean to increase secondary impedance, but secondary impedance is not something that you can rely on. It varies greatly with steammer loading. So decreased coupling looks like a better solution to me.
1309769896 1637 FT117239 Ps 1 135
Arcstarter
Mon Jul 04 2011, 09:55PM
Arcstarter Registered Member #1225 Joined: Sat Jan 12 2008, 01:24AM
Well if you wind a secondary with litz, IE less impedance to high frequency, isn't it's Q higher? If so, that means less impedance means higher Q. Lower impedance means lower damping, and a high Q resonator would have less damping than a low Q one, as i understand it.

This is a cool project! If only i thought of it first shades
GeordieBoy
Mon Jul 04 2011, 10:31PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Hi BSVi,

Just a quick comment about that PSU...

Link2

I don't know if this is running directly off the mains supply? Or is being fed from some isolated low-voltage supply?

It looks like you've got a copper line marking out the border of the PCB (running right around the outside of the board.) This goes very close to both the primary side and secondary side circuits, and severely reduces the creepage and clearance distances! This undoes all of the good of having a large isolation distance between the input and output sides and that fancy tex-e or margin wound transformer.

I'd definitely scratch that off if my life depended on isolation! smile

-Richie,
 1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: