All today's birthdays', congrats!
BlakFyre (36)
SENTRY (31)

Next birthdays
05/01 Shaun (34)
05/01 Spedy (30)
05/02 Adam Munich (30)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Reverse-engineering a small XRT

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Sun Nov 21 2010, 06:20PM Print
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
This is to report some electrical measurements on a dental x-ray transformer (nominally 70 kVp, 7 mA, 60 Hz). They give some perspective to low-duty-cycle imperatives.

1290361790 2099 FT0 Cr0833 Xfmr

My transformer has a 5.25-inch square laminated E-E core, in two riveted sections.
I had to take it apart to rework the mounting brackets.
Took the opportunity to set aside the plastic-shrouded secondary coils. Made some electrical measurements with no load, and no high voltage in the way.

1290361790 2099 FT0 Dscn1047

At 120 V RMS, the core is nearly saturated - I figure 1.82 T peak flux. As in a MOT, this is to get plenty of volts per turn per pound. Magnetizing current reaches about 6 amps RMS. A real wattmeter indicated that about 86 W were heating the transformer: 36 W copper loss in the 1.0 ohm primary winding, and 50 W core loss.

1290362108 2099 FT0 Dscn1054

To get the flux, I made an inordinately fancy sense winding with 17 turns and the best flux linkage I could manage. Voltage ratio shows that the primary has exactly 174 turns, in 2 layers: from the white lead it's right hand helix up, then left hand helix back down to the black lead. We get 0.690 V RMS per turn from 2.2 in^2 (14.2 cm^2) core area.

1290362108 2099 FT0 Dscn1055

Here is a chart of the data. Magnetizing current was measured two ways: first with an old Amprobe clip-on analog meter, then with a true-RMS Fluke DMM in series. The difference at lower voltages could be due to the clip-on meter reading low, or to a bigger core air gap when I assembled it for the series measurements. (minimizing the airgap is uncritical at such high flux levels).

1290363094 2099 FT0 Xrt Char1

For next time: secondary winding details and estimates of losses with a HV load.
Patrick
Mon Nov 22 2010, 06:19AM
Patrick Registered Member #2431 Joined: Tue Oct 13 2009, 09:47PM
this is a great thread.... please continue to post.
Xray
Fri Nov 26 2010, 06:47PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Nice job testing the magnetic properties of the core!

I repair and rebuild dental X-ray heads for a living, and this is one brand that I have repaired MANY times over the years. It's a Gendex GX-770. I can tell you that a good working head will draw about 7 or 8 Amps from the mains. The control circuit has an "inverse voltage protection circuit" in series with the primary winding which consists of a high current diode across a low ohms (typically 10 Ohms) resistor. During the half cylcle when the tube is conducting and loading the hv secondary, the diode is forward biased, and as a result, shorts out the 10 Ohm resistor, which allows the transformer to get full voltage. During the half cycle when the tube is not conducting, the diode is reversed bias, and the voltage then flows through the resistor which limits the high voltage to a safe value so that it doesn't arc between windings. The diode/resistor circuit is only needed for X-ray applications. You won't need it if you use the transformer for a jacob's ladder or Tesla coil.

Also keep in mind that X-ray transformers, unlike neon sign transformers, are not current limited. Therefore, as the secondary load current increases, the primary current will continue to increase until either the transformer burns out, or the mains fuse blows.

Have fun!

Xray
klugesmith
Sat Dec 18 2010, 06:19AM
Here's some more data.
1) Reassembled the core w/ attention to minimizing the airgap. This cut the magnetizing current in half, except near saturation where the iron permeability is relatively low.

1292650370 2099 FT101059 Xrt Magn

2) captured primary current and secondary voltage waveforms, still unloaded, for RMS primary voltages of 30, 60, 90, and 114. That's as high as I could get with the isolation transformer on hand. Near saturation, it takes a large current to create the required magnetization (so the induced back-EMF almost matches the applied voltage). When the current peaks, IR drop subtracts significantly from the effective primary voltage. This distorts the secondary voltage waveform, but happens near zero crossing so we don't lose much RMS voltage. Dotted line indicates core flux for the 114V case, inferred by integrating the voltage of secondary winding.
1292652122 2099 FT101059 Xrt Iv 2

We can plot BH curves, with current on one axis and integrated voltage on the other. This could be observed in real time using a voltage integrator circuit (fluxmeter) and an oscilloscope with X/Y mode. By factoring in the core dimensions and number of winding turns, the X axis could be labeled in oersteds or amps/meter, and the Y axis in teslas or gauss.
1292652122 2099 FT101059 Xrt Bh

Finally, I took the opportunity to get some inrush current measurements when the transformer is turned on by a switch at arbitrary phase of mains voltage cycle. Purpose is to illustrate that we drop right into steady-state magnetizing current if the switch is closed at voltage PEAK. We get the highest inrush current when switch is closed at voltage zero crossing. It would be much higher still if we had a full 120 V RMS and no isolation transformer.

1292652122 2099 FT101059 Start V

1292652122 2099 FT101059 Start I
Meatball
Sat Dec 18 2010, 06:31AM
Meatball Registered Member #2401 Joined: Mon Sept 28 2009, 04:25PM
What are you going to do with this transformer?

EDIT: That's a lot of POT!
Sulaiman
Sat Dec 18 2010, 12:50PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
I like the resistor//diode in the primary trick - new one to me.

I would expect a transformer to interleave the core laminations to absolutely minimise any effective airgap for minimum magnetising current, and have the primary and secondary co-axial.
Why does this x-ray transformer separate the primary and secondary windings with an airgap? A leakage flux path has been deliberately introduced....just curious.
GeordieBoy
Sat Dec 18 2010, 02:33PM
GeordieBoy Registered Member #1232 Joined: Wed Jan 16 2008, 10:53PM
Some good testing of the transformer.

> Reassembled the core w/ attention to minimizing the airgap. This cut the magnetizing current in half, except near saturation where the iron permeability is relatively low.

I was going to say that the no-load current draw (or "magnetising current") will be quite dependent on how well you can get the faces of the two core halves to mate. Even the smallest of air-gap in here will increase the no-load current draw of the transformer by decreasing it's inductance. That is why most lower voltage power transformers use interleaved E and I laminations. It makes the core set virtually impossible to disassemble once its been dipped though.

The 3rd harmonic distortion you are seeing in the voltage and current waveforms is a clear sign that the core is operating well past the onset of saturation.

For transformers the minimum "inrush current" is always observed when the power is turned on at a voltage peak. This is because the transformer flux is the integral of the applied voltage. If you turn on at a voltage zero crossing, then the peak flux integrates up to twice the normal peak value and the core is pushed into saturation. In a design where the core is already barely big enough, this can cause huge current spikes if turned on at a voltage zero. This transient core flux imbalance gradually decays away after switch on depending on the DC resistance of the winding and the supply impedance. For large high power transformers they can continue to growl and draw big inrush spikes for several cycles because the DC resistance is so low.

-Richie,
Proud Mary
Sat Dec 18 2010, 03:04PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
How about a soft starter to temper the existential threat of sudden on-ness - all those violent spikes and roaring surges searching for short cuts in every weakness.
Xray
Sat Dec 18 2010, 06:15PM
Xray Registered Member #3429 Joined: Sun Nov 21 2010, 02:04AM
Sulaiman wrote ...

I like the resistor//diode in the primary trick - new one to me.

Dental X-ray manufacturer's have been using that trick for many decades. I suspect (and I'm only guessing here) that the transformer needs to be designed in such a way that it can accept a "modified" sinewave. By that I mean, half of the sinewave has a lower peak voltage than the other half, and, because of the diode, the waveform doesn't look "normal".

Sulaiman wrote ...

Why does this x-ray transformer separate the primary and secondary windings with an airgap? A leakage flux path has been deliberately introduced....just curious.

I think the air gap is there to allow the oil to help cool the windings, and it also provides insulation between the hv secondaries, and the primary. Most 60Hz AC X-ray transformers for dental application utilize two secondary windings with each "low" end tied to ground, or one of them is sometimes used to monitor the tube current, and is brought out to a terminal (the GX-770 does this). In a 70KV tubehead, each secondary provides 35KV -- one for the cathode of the tube, and one for the anode. This design allows for smaller spacing inside the head because there is only 35KV at any one point to ground. Only the X-ray tube "sees" 70KV. That's another "trick" that is utilized in dental tubeheads.

Of course, in "DC" heads, things are quite different. The Cathode is at ground potential, and the anode get the full DC high voltage, usually from a CW multiplier.
klugesmith
Sat Dec 18 2010, 07:24PM
Xray: thanks for the detail about typical current draw from the mains. You taught me the resistor||diode trick last year, after selling me the transformer. I haven't applied it yet, but you will see the waveforms when I do.

Here is another view of its function. In normal operation with self-rectifying Coolidge tube, the secondary winding carries a net DC current of 7 mA. That's about 487 ampere-turns.
Turns ratio is about 1:400, so to keep the core flux balanced we need an average DC current of 2.8 amps in the primary winding. I expect this will be in the form of 5.6 amp pulses during half of each cycle, in phase with the voltage, and will be superimposed on the magnetizing current as reported above.

Flyback converters also have net DC current in both primary in secondary, but the pulses are not concurrent, so each cycle's energy must be stored in the magnetic field, hence the airgap.

In the XRT case I think there's no deliberate airgap. The laminated core is non-interleaved to facilitate construction and service. A thin air gap in part of the contact area (due to non flatness) doesn't matter much because the flux density is so high -- the air is no longer 10000 times more reluctive than the iron. Look at the black and blue curves in my before-and-after chart.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: