Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Terrorhertz (15)

Next birthdays
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
10/03 TwirlyWhirly555 (32)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grenadier's big thread of Röntgen related shenanigans

Move Thread LAN_403
Wolfram
Tue Jun 15 2010, 08:02PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Grenadier wrote ...

This leads me to believe that it can't supply more than 1ma. But i'm not sure. The mA's could easily be much higher, the voltage lower on the secondary

And with a lower voltage and a higher current, the radiation dose would be much lower. For any given power, the combination with the highest voltage will always make the largest amount of radiation.

Anders M.

Adam Munich
Tue Jun 15 2010, 08:06PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
I don't know. I'll have to think about it for a while.

Do you think that dirt will offer enough protection? It would have to go through 20-30 feet of it.

Edit: I really hope that tube sells. Please help me find someone who will buy it. This whole thing has caused me nothing but grief.
Wolfram
Tue Jun 15 2010, 11:59PM
I don't know how well dirt shields radiation, but I would imagine 20-30 feet of it would be very effective in your case.

Anders M.
Adam Munich
Wed Jun 16 2010, 12:01AM
Nah, i decided i'm done with this. It's caused me too much trouble. Hopefully i can sell the tube.

I'm starting to think about this again, however i still need to make $125.

What is a better ballast idea? I'm stumped.

edit; just tested it with a 120 ohm resistor, transformer draws 1a short circuit, so 1.2ma secondary minimum. Problem is i don't know the voltage. It could very well be 30ma at a low voltage, and that could easily fry the tube...

If i can scrounge up $125, the project is back on, otherwise it's a dud. (the tube's not selling anyway)

edit 2; i'm gonna go for it. I want to be the youngest person to make a fully functional coolidge x-ray machine. that'll look good on a resume. I still need your input on the transformer current/voltage, and what you predict what will happen. Plus i still need $125. If you want to buy anything i listed, (cept the tube), go for it!

I bit the bullet and bought the sheet. Maybe when this is done i can radiograph people's stuff for $8

Final schematic revision. Link2

[Edit: Try not to triple post]
Wolfram
Thu Jun 17 2010, 08:17AM
Grenadier wrote ...

Nah, i decided i'm done with this. It's caused me too much trouble. Hopefully i can sell the tube.

I'm starting to think about this again, however i still need to make $125.

What is a better ballast idea? I'm stumped.

edit; just tested it with a 120 ohm resistor, transformer draws 1a short circuit, so 1.2ma secondary minimum. Problem is i don't know the voltage. It could very well be 30ma at a low voltage, and that could easily fry the tube...

If i can scrounge up $125, the project is back on, otherwise it's a dud. (the tube's not selling anyway)

edit 2; i'm gonna go for it. I want to be the youngest person to make a fully functional coolidge x-ray machine. that'll look good on a resume. I still need your input on the transformer current/voltage, and what you predict what will happen. Plus i still need $125. If you want to buy anything i listed, (cept the tube), go for it!

I bit the bullet and bought the sheet. Maybe when this is done i can radiograph people's stuff for $8

Final schematic revision. Link2

[Edit: Try not to triple post]

A high current through the tube won't necessarily kill it, it's high current in combination with high voltage thas will kill it, high power in other words. A high current through the transformer secondary is very likely to kill the transformer though. For this reason I would absolutely put a current meter on the secondary side.

I would also place the SSR after the variac. Variacs usually draw a very large current surge at startup, even small ones. Having the SSR switch this current every time you want to do an exposure is not a good idea. It's even worse if the SSR is a zero-crossing one, as the worst possible time to turn a transformer on is at the zero crossing. If you have the SSR after the variac, there is an other advantage too, you can read the actual output voltage of the variac before you press the exposure switch. I would also not put the ampere-meter before the variac, as the surge startup current might kill it.

Regarding the ballast resistor, I don't really like that idea, as it's definitely going to make the whole thing harder to control.

There's also no decoupling capacitors on your AVR. I'm sure you just forgot to draw it, just thought I'd mention it because I've had lots of trouble when trying to drive HD44780-based LCDs without enough decoupling capacitance on the microcontroller, these LCDs seem very sensitive to noise on the power and data lines.

Anders M.
Adam Munich
Wed Oct 13 2010, 08:26PM
I feel I never gave a very good reason for abandoning this project. Well here it is.

I did end up getting this working, but the day after I fell very ill. I attributed it to radiation. I ended up going to quite a few doctors and they couldn't figure out what was wrong. It wasn't until I sold the transformer on fusor that I found out it was just a superbug. Don't remember what it was exactly, but it ruined the project nonetheless. I also destroyed my lead box because it was starting to get stress cracks.

Well now that I'm seeing what Freitsu is doing with the tube I sent him, I got the x-ray itch again. In a few months I plan on buying another x-ray head. (well I'll need someone else to get it, I'm banned from egay).

I plan on putting a lot less work into it this time. This project was too hard to be any fun; it got boring. I have 10sqft of 1mm lead sheet left, so I'm just going to wrap the head in it. I'll build a nice wooden box to hold it in too. At night I'll set it up in my backyard, aperture facing the woods. Then I'll just set up the photograph.

Exposure time will be controlled by me plugging it into my basement outlet via a 100ft extension cord; completely idiot proof and fail safe. Not too many rays are going to get me through the 1" aluminum head + lead ceramic tube covering + 3mm lead + 20 ft packed dirt + cinder block wall.

Edit: Awesome. Atlasfrontiers, the guys I bought the SS.White from no longer sell through ebay. They accept credit cards. :D

Edit2: Wow, they have quite a selection! $95 heads!
Freitsu
Thu Oct 14 2010, 07:33AM
Freitsu Registered Member #3147 Joined: Sun Aug 29 2010, 10:53AM
Great to hear you're getting back to this rewarding hobby, Grenadier!

A slight highjack:

This is maybe not the best place to introduce myself but I'll go ahead anyway since I don't find a "Welcome section".
I'm a 28 y/o guy from Finland that likes to "mess" around with h/v and in the last few months x-rays caught my interest so I thought that I would read whatever information I could find online about the subject.

I started to generate x-rays with the 6VS-1 shunt stabiliser that when driven to produce x-rays is an avesome little tube with really tiny focalspot!
Well then, moving on. At last I wanted to try out a real x-ray tube, and somehow I found my way to this forum and read/searched around and then found Grenadiers sale/trade thread, we agreed to make a trade and finally I got my long awaited tube!

Proud Mary
Thu Oct 14 2010, 08:15AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Freitsu wrote ...

Great to hear you're getting back to this rewarding hobby, Grenadier!

A slight highjack:

This is maybe not the best place to introduce myself but I'll go ahead anyway since I don't find a "Welcome section".
I'm a 28 y/o guy from Finland that likes to "mess" around with h/v and in the last few months x-rays caught my interest so I thought that I would read whatever information I could find online about the subject.

I started to generate x-rays with the 6VS-1 shunt stabiliser that when driven to produce x-rays is an avesome little tube with really tiny focalspot!
Well then, moving on. At last I wanted to try out a real x-ray tube, and somehow I found my way to this forum and read/searched around and then found Grenadiers sale/trade thread, we agreed to make a trade and finally I got my long awaited tube!

Welcome Freitsu! smile

You will find we have about six other enthusiasts here, with one or two who never think about anything else! cheesey

Freitsu
Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:21AM
Freitsu Registered Member #3147 Joined: Sun Aug 29 2010, 10:53AM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Welcome Freitsu! smile

You will find we have about six other enthusiasts here, with one or two who never think about anything else! cheesey

Thanks!

I think you can count me in that group that never think about anything else! (well except maybe for some sideprojects, currently it's a scopeclock project) ;)
Proud Mary
Thu Oct 14 2010, 09:31AM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Freitsu wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

Welcome Freitsu! smile

Thanks!

I think you can count me in that group that never think about anything else! (well except maybe for some sideprojects, currently it's a scopeclock project) ;)

Good man! smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: