All today's birthdays', congrats!
Ultra7 (54)
uitvinderalex (36)

Next birthdays
09/30 Terrorhertz (15)
10/01 Avalanche (41)
10/02 Carl A. Willis (44)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grenadier's big thread of Röntgen related shenanigans

Move Thread LAN_403
Adam Munich
Sat Mar 19 2011, 09:49PM
Adam Munich Registered Member #2893 Joined: Tue Jun 01 2010, 09:25PM
Alright, I fixed the HV feedthrough problem, yet the CW *still* leaks. This time it's oil seeping out of the lid, and I can't get it sealed...

I'm thinking about taking all the caps and diodes off the PCB and point to point wiring the CW so it's nice and "skinny". Then I can put it in a PVC tube or something, because this container just does not want to keep oil inside, and I can't glue it because its polyethylene.

Conundrum
Sat Mar 19 2011, 11:14PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
superglue and baking soda on the outside, sand down the edges and coat with superglue accelerant to provide a keying point?

Just a thought.

-A
Adam Munich
Mon Mar 21 2011, 02:24AM
I gave up with the tupperware. Instead I opted for PVC pipe. Link2

To fit the cw in there I needed to shrink it (no pcb). Link2

After that I got some PVC pipe and fittings to make the case, then I made some feedthroughs with brass bolts and sealing washers, then I slid the CW in there and superglued it in place. Link2

I am leaving the current limiting resistor in, mainly because if I left it out I'd probably do something stupid and blow all the diodes. Those carbon comp resistors are indestructible. Link2

Here is the completed CW. The threaded fitting is held on with pvc cement, while the end cap is just going to be slid on and hot glued (to allow for modification). Link2

The flyback needed its own container, so i found some tupperware that doesn't leak. Link2

And then I proceeded to put the FBT in there. I ran out of hardware though and so it sits on my floor until tomorrow. Link2

Here is the tube shield I made today. Link2

And here is everything so far. There is still some room for the heater batteries and rheostat, so yay. Link2

Also, it is going to take more than 22V to make 75kV, so I'm going to need both a 6s lipo and a 1 or 2s lipo to put in series.

Adam Munich
Tue Mar 22 2011, 02:03AM
Today's progress.

The Hot glue seal leaked on the CW, so I removed that and just dripped PVC cement on the seam. That will both seal it and allow for removal if need be. Link2 I then covered the CW with electrical tape because I was bored.

After that I finished the flyback's container. The FBT is held in place by its primary winding, and it seems to be staying put. Link2

I then connected everything up Link2 for a test. The entire circuit puts out 75 to 80kV at 31V in. I'm not sure why, when it used to do the same at only 22V in some weeks ago. I presume that this is because there are corona losses from the external wiring, but I'm not going to bother fighting it. 31V is just a 6s and a 3s lipo in series.

I'm probably going to buy a 3000mAh lipos, they should provide me with 30 1 minute exposures which is more than plenty. I'm not buying the lipos until I get the linear regulator done, and that is on this week's to-do list.

Some sparking next to an m&m at full power. It hurts my ears. EDIT 4got the video Link2

As for the tube, I got the feedthroughs made, now I need to figure out how to insulate the HV feedthrough from the lead container. I'm thinking a PVC tube and loads of hot glue.

As for the tube I've been playing with the heater, and it definitely doesn't need many volts to get hot. Here is a "hotness chart" Link2 I have prepared just by looking at the light. I'm going to limit it at 2V which should give me 2.5 or so mA of anode current.

Some heater pics
@1.5V Link2
@2V Link2

And after all of these modifications there is no more leaking :D
Freitsu
Tue Mar 22 2011, 10:19AM
Freitsu Registered Member #3147 Joined: Sun Aug 29 2010, 10:53AM
Nice to see the progress on your project Grenadier!

You'll be taking radiographs in notime...

OT: did you get those tubes?
Proud Mary
Tue Mar 22 2011, 05:16PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
I have no anode heating and cooling curves for dental tubes to look at, but would be concerned that a one minute exposure as you mention above could well exceed the heat capacity of the anode, and so cause irreversible damage. General purpose dental X-ray tubes are designed with exposures of less than one second in mind.

Heat capacity is exceeded when the rate of heat input to the anode exceeds the rate at which it can be dissipated, and is one of the key parameters of any X-ray tube.

Running the tube at reduced anode current - as you suggest - may perhaps be sufficient to keep the tube from overheating in long exposures, but you should investigate the anode heating and cooling cycle before committing to anything that might ruin it.
James
Tue Mar 22 2011, 06:04PM
James Registered Member #3610 Joined: Thu Jan 13 2011, 03:29AM
There's a heating chart in the Kodak 2200 manual linked in here Link2

This is for a Trophy TRX708 dental tube which is among the smallest I'm aware of. Max filament voltage is around 4.6V in most dental tubes, which ought to give you somewhere between 7-10 mA. If you run it at a low current like 2-3 mA the heat load on the anode will be substantially lower and the filament will last a lot longer at low temperature as well. At full output it will glow brightly like a normal tungsten light bulb.
Adam Munich
Tue Mar 22 2011, 07:28PM
Here is the tube data proud mary Link2 The anode heat storage capacity is 7kJ

Proud Mary
Tue Mar 22 2011, 08:10PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Grenadier wrote ...

Here is the tube data proud mary Link2 The anode heat storage capacity is 7kJ

Brilliant! Hangzhou Wandong Electron Co have made things easy by giving the maximum continuous power - 110W.

This would mean a maximum current of 1.47mA from a 75kV constant voltage supply. I'd say go with a bit less, because it's always best to be on
the conservative side where expensive parts are concerned.

With 75kV/1.25mA you will be getting somewhere between 25 - 30 Gy/hr at 30cm from the anode across the whole beam cone.
Adam Munich
Tue Mar 22 2011, 09:43PM
Well the CW is certainly capable of making 1.5mA, and 30Gy/hr is certainly enough x-radiation for me. The tube will also be under oil to help suck away some heat.

I need to figure out how to mount the tube in that tupperware w/o using any glue. Maybe some sort of foamboard contraption could do that.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: